IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

On the topic of FLeure and openers, it seems to me that more often than not Ae's openers are not a reflection of what the album will sound like at all. The only one that particularly seems to do that is LCC, but thinking back every other album's opener is starkly different than the rest of the album.

I am now beginning to get familiar with this album. I am at the point now where I am anticipating which track is up next, and learning to know how tracks progress.... yet I still find lots of surprises and rewards in each track, and everytime I listen to it.

so is anyone having a hard time envisioning that Exai was actually made by 2 different people and not just 1? I still can't wrap my head around how such a singular unique vision could be an equal collaboration between 2 different people, i can't make sense of it.. at all.

On the topic of FLeure and openers, it seems to me that more often than not Ae's openers are not a reflection of what the album will sound like at all. The only one that particularly seems to do that is LCC, but thinking back every other album's opener is starkly different than the rest of the album.

yes

so is anyone having a hard time envisioning that Exai was actually made by 2 different people and not just 1? I still can't wrap my head around how such a singular unique vision could be an equal collaboration between 2 different people, i can't make sense of it.. at all.

yes it was like that on the previous albums 2, its like a musical miracle

That and someone mentioned they collab over skype now? Seems utterly absurd.

argh. I just got my exai copy ...

It got sent to my old address so i rocked up knocking on their door asking if they received a package. The bastards had opened it up!

My sleeves are a bit warped ... is everyone else's nice and straight with no warping? I almost want to buy another one.

Actually, this is probably the first time I've received an item from Warp that hasn't been slightly damaged in some way. My copy of Oversteps has a bump in it, same with my Warp20 box, and most of my other mail order stuff has minor creases. I got so used to it that I began to think it was just something they did when packing the releases so they had less resell value on discogs/ebay. So I was a little surprised to find that the Exai box was actually in mint condition.

Edited by modey

I really like it, I just wish I still had the mindset of being able to listen to ae whenever though. Now I have to be in a particular mood for it. Who knows; maybe I'll be up for another listen on the weekend. I sure hope so, because the vinyl sounds fucking great!

Didn't they say in some interview that some of the tracks might just be made by one of them and the degree of collaboration varies?

Shit.

The start of "1 1 is" really makes my ears sound like they have popped.

The track makes me feel like i'm descending in a diving bell and at the 4:20 mark we've reached our destination at the fault ridge and the subterranean world opens up into the floodlights. It's glorious.

ha nice, the narrative i had to invent to get through the first few listens of nodezsh, the next track, is actually a submarine exploration going wrong, the cable to the ship being cut and the sub slowly sinking into the dark deep sea, facing pressure destruct.

Guest jasondonervan

I was listening to Exai a lot while in Iceland last month, and I'm glad I did - it's already cemented itself as the soundtrack that stokes the nostalgic fires of the Icelandic landscapes I experienced. As we were driving towards the Southernmost settlement (Vík í Mýrdal, pictured below), nodezsh came on at just the right time - it was listening perfection. Brutal volcanic outcrops, mirror lakes sat right next to the ocean, fertile new farming lands brought about as a result of Eyjafjallajökull blowing it's stack a few years back... all were laid out prefectly to new Autechre. For me, Exai will always take me back to those intensely crystallised memories from that trip.

Vik_i_Myrdal.jpg

my vinyl came in today...very nicely organized....but currently having trouble setting up the record player at the 'rents...getting close though.

I helped my buddy move yesterday and he has no need for his crazy good surround sound speaker set up so he let me borrow it for a few months. This shit is like 5000% better than my previous shitty $80 logitech speakers. I'm sitting here blasting Exai at what I'm sure is a somewhat unsafe level for my ears and it's fucking amazing.

Guest pixelives

Didn't they say in some interview that some of the tracks might just be made by one of them and the degree of collaboration varies?

From an Oversteps era Quietus interview..

SB: When we are in the same city it's a piece of piss, we just sit together in the studio. But we have been living in different cities for a decade now. Because we live apart, the way we write nowadays is interesting. It's easy to stream audio over internet to each other. Rob will start his sequencer and I will sync to it and listen back. There's a huge lag online but we can make it work. Then we will split and work on it separately and then come back together in a few hours. I can send audio to Rob and he has the same hardware set up as me. He can run it the same way as me and it's nothing to chuck it over to him whole on the phone. You can also screen share on computers now as well so I can see his screen and work his computer from here which is great.