IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Guest adjohns

I've been listening to Exai since yesterday on two Klipsch RF7s and a 12" Velodyne Subwoofer pushed by a Denon AVR 3806 and I have to say this album is their most monstrous yet. The theatre of it is simply astounding. I wish I could hear it in a much larger space than my 15X15 bedroom.

Edited by adjohns

Guest bardamu

I haven't had time to fully digest it yet... but I really like disc 1. My only complaint on initial listen is that there's a little too much "swagger" (or hip-hop, or b-boy, or what-have-you) to the rhythm overall. I like each of those tracks individually, but in the context of the whole album, its a mood they seem to go to a little too often (for my tastes). I find that kind of sustained badassery to be exhausting; so far I've enjoyed it more taking one side at a time, rather than marathoning the whole thing.

On the unabashedly positive side, there's already moments here that have brough tears of musical joy to my eyes, so my expectations have been more than met. So much to explore, its going to take awhile!

i wonder what track made them make the call

If you've ever wondered if the moderators do anything here other than make life a pain in the ass then this change will possibly make you think otherwise. I had a dialogue with them yesterday to fix this for y'all (and myself!)

Irlite (get 0) is shaping up to my favorite track. It's one of the only ones that feels like a direct bridge from Oversteps, mainly the melody that kicks in later on

the opening 3 tracks are so strong, i sort of wish they continued on that same trajectory. As soon as the break-beat sampled drum sounds kick in the albums power diminishes a little bit until the next full on analog drum puncture assault.

until Torizon i'm too distracted by the non sonic pleasure of those bass and snare hits. Torizon has some of the best drum hit sounds they've ever used, massive crunchy and noisy Bladelores has a pretty cool use of reverb, where it sounds like the entire ambient backdrop is that really short decay pitched snare creating all of it, otherwise not feeling the track as a whole. The synth in it sounds like it has the resonance cranked up all the way, i find it sort of jarring.

Edited by Awepittance

1 1 is has a really weird stereo sweeping effect that i can only notice on headphones, didn't hear it at all until i listened last night.

I think overall Disc 1 is a lot stronger. The reverb takes center stage too much on so many tracks of Disc 2. Maybe its going to take me a while to just enjoy the ride and stop overthinking the production.

Cloudline is one of the highlights of disc 2

Deco Loc sounds like a Flying Lotus pisstake to me, not a fan

edit: anybody else notice how the songs bridge into each-other very seamlessly? Has AE ever done this before? Somebody mentioned earlier how it's easy to not notice when a new track starts, i'm having a similar effect. The transitions are pretty beautiful in this

Edited by Awepittance

Probably T ess xi, they couldn't handle the white noise glitch.

You can go tell the neighbors that you downloaded the fixed track and it won't be a problem again.

Speaking of that glitch, I have the 24 bit wavs and after listening intently a few times I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Where in the track is this glitch at?

Probably T ess xi, they couldn't handle the white noise glitch.

You can go tell the neighbors that you downloaded the fixed track and it won't be a problem again.

Speaking of that glitch, I have the 24 bit wavs and after listening intently a few times I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Where in the track is this glitch at?

Bleep has since fixed the glitch in the 24 bit wav download. You might have DL'd after they corrected.

Wait, what is up with the title "keyosc"? Is that why some of you were guessing that the album was going to be called "kiosk" back when there was the "predict album art thread"? Or did that name come out afterward? Is that a reference to the old thread?

just biked in to say that this album is amazing and the best since untilted (and i liked quarisitice).

look forward to my next post when the next autechre album is released.

hello everyone.

Wait, what is up with the title "keyosc"? Is that why some of you were guessing that the album was going to be called "kiosk" back when there was the "predict album art thread"? Or did that name come out afterward? Is that a reference to the old thread?

No, this came out afterward and we consider their choice of this name to be their way of giving a nod to us.

I have to agree re: the sampled drum sounds.. at least the more obviously sampled drums. I thought they'd be beyond that by now..

i don't really mind sampled drums when they've done it before. Rae for example has some great sampled drum sounds in it. This album it just feels more cheap and sort of blown out but then expertly eq'd to be clean and shiny. It's odd.

if these tracks with the sampled drums weren't up against such stomach punching analog drum sounds they might sound better. Any clue what kind of drum synth they're using on some of these? At first i thought Xbase or Vermona but not anymore.

overall from a more techy perspective this is one of the most interesting analog sounding synth albums i've heard since David Tudor's rain forrest or Morton Subotnick's Wild Bull/Silver Apples.

Edited by Awepittance

No, this came out afterward and we consider their choice of this name to be their way of giving a nod to us.

That's pretty cool, if true.

1 1 is has a really weird stereo sweeping effect that i can only notice on headphones, didn't hear it at all until i listened last night.

Noticed that too, mentioned maybe 2-3 pages back that the track felt like it was sucking ou my brain when using headphones Edited by fizzkinz

I think overall Disc 1 is a lot stronger. The reverb takes center stage too much on so many tracks of Disc 2. Maybe its going to take me a while to just enjoy the ride and stop overthinking the production.

edit: anybody else notice how the songs bridge into each-other very seamlessly? Has AE ever done this before? Somebody mentioned earlier how it's easy to not notice when a new track starts, i'm having a similar effect. The transitions are pretty beautiful in this

i'm enjoying disc 1 more as a whole as well, mostly because of the weakness of a couple tracks on disc 2. they may grow on me, who knows. still so early, only listened to it a few times through

they've done the bridging on occasion, but i don't think ever quite so much as on this album. it definitely helps with the flow! the times before that stand out in my mind are Fold 4, Wrap 5 into Under BOAC, Dial. into Cap.IV (no bleeding, but those beats sync perfectly) and i think a few spots in Draft. Fermium into The Trees has something that may be a bleed over, but i've never been certain of that one. also, Redfall into krYlon (maybe other spots on Oversteps even). also Eutow into C/Pach isn't technically bleedover or anything, but goddamn is that transition perfect. lol.

That's pretty cool, if true.

it's gotta be true. too much of a coincidence to not believe it....THEY KNOW

i'm enjoying disc 1 more as a whole as well, mostly because of the weakness of a couple tracks on disc 2. they may grow on me, who knows. still so early, only listened to it a few times through

they've done the bridging on occasion, but i don't think ever quite so much as on this album. it definitely helps with the flow! the times before that stand out in my mind are Fold 4, Wrap 5 into Under BOAC, Dial. into Cap.IV (no bleeding, but those beats sync perfectly) and i think a few spots in Draft. Fermium into The Trees has something that may be a bleed over, but i've never been certain of that one. also, Redfall into krYlon (maybe other spots on Oversteps even). also Eutow into C/Pach isn't technically bleedover or anything, but goddamn is that transition perfect. lol.

Yeah, the Eutow-C/Pach transition is what made me start making my tracks flow into each other. I ripped it off quite a few times, zole. Edited by modey

Love that first listen of new autechre. Always such a surprise.

Initial reaction is +++

YJY UX is an utter masterpiece.

Round 2 beginning now...