IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

What are people hoping it'll sound like?

I would love it if the new album was something very alien and subtle, without anything too synthy or anything at all referential - with lots of 'magic' moments, but not in the way those kind of moments usually happen in music. Like the second half of Simmm. Something elegant and yet totally 'other'. No daft squirting around or messy silliness.

I'd love it to have lots of tracks like Uviol or Parhelic Triangle - but slightly warmer, and with the increased drama and switches of later albums.

From the radio track, I doubt this is how it'll be, but who knows.

I would love it if the new album was something very alien and subtle, without anything too synthy or anything at all referential - with lots of 'magic' moments, but not in the way those kind of moments usually happen in music. Like the second half of Simmm. Something elegant and yet totally 'other'. No daft squirting around or messy silliness.

I'd love it to have lots of tracks like Uviol or Parhelic Triangle - but slightly warmer, and with the increased drama and switches of later albums.

From the radio track, I doubt this is how it'll be, but who knows.

Yeah that second half of Simmm is awesome. That spacious reverb, FM synth, and pad are a great combination.

As for Exai, I don't know what kind of sounds to expect specifically. Wouldn't be surprised if there are more irregular rhythm patterns and precise manipulation. In terms of tone, I'd like a balance of spacious ambient tracks and ones with aggressive percussion, like Quaristice had.

Edited by ambermonk

I hope it sounds like something i never thought of. :cerious:

this. + 20th anniversary nods to incoonaboola, in some ways, unimaginable and never before heard yet familiar and ting. and 606.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12
You know, it's funny, the first thing I thought when I saw that announcement at the top of the page was, "HOLY SHIT EXAI LEAKED!"

me too

Guest pixelives

One interesting thing I've noticed with my circle of friends on Facebook is the acknowledgement and interest in this upcoming release. I'd say most of these people haven't been REALLY into Ae or stuff of this nature since the heyday of the 90's.

I'm wondering why?

Is it some yearning for a truly proper underground "real deal" artists when everything, even in the "independent" world, is marketed and controlled to a tee mirroring the majors? Is it something else? Is it Ae getting more palatable again sonically for more casual listeners since the last two releases?

Maybe something like the popularity of Flylo also has something to do with it?

Either way, it says something about sticking to your guns and staying true to your own trajectory.

Guest pixelives

pixelives can you give a mini-review perhaps? some small info about how it sounds or something? or maybe its just best to wait idk. up to you

I'll probably be getting something in the mail Mon/Tues.

It's up to you guys if you want me to say anything. FWIW, I'm not trying to brag or anything. I just thought you guys should know that preproduction copies are going out now. I'm just lucky to have this awesome friend who has an awesome job.

I realize that the wait it is the hardest part, but the anticipation is also kind of awesome. I'd be in the same spot if it wasn't for this scenario.

I would really, really love to hear some impressions as soon as you get the album. Don't worry about the complaints - please just share your perspectives on the new work ahead of the release. :-)

yes I would also appreciate this

Dittooo

It's a vote for not hearing your opinion from me.

What I guess I can do is write something elsewhere, like on my tumblr, for instance and send over the link, so if you want to read it, you can. Works?

Is it some yearning for a truly proper underground "real deal" artists when everything, even in the "independent" world, is marketed and controlled to a tee mirroring the majors?

an astute observation that i rarely ever hear mentioned here or anywhere else. I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable. It's actually very disturbing to me how much corporate marketing techniques have been adopted and wielded by 'underground' culture.

Edited by Awepittance

Funny enough, I don't think I've ever once in my life hoped for an artist I liked to go in any particular direction on a new album. I just hope it's good.

pixelives can you give a mini-review perhaps? some small info about how it sounds or something? or maybe its just best to wait idk. up to you

I'll probably be getting something in the mail Mon/Tues.

It's up to you guys if you want me to say anything. FWIW, I'm not trying to brag or anything. I just thought you guys should know that preproduction copies are going out now. I'm just lucky to have this awesome friend who has an awesome job.

I realize that the wait it is the hardest part, but the anticipation is also kind of awesome. I'd be in the same spot if it wasn't for this scenario.

I would really, really love to hear some impressions as soon as you get the album. Don't worry about the complaints - please just share your perspectives on the new work ahead of the release. :-)

yes I would also appreciate this

Dittooo

It's a vote for not hearing your opinion from me.

What I guess I can do is write something elsewhere, like on my tumblr, for instance and send over the link, so if you want to read it, you can. Works?

Nah I'm just jelly. You should post it. :)

I'd like to know if it has any of the tracks from their live sets.

2003: "I hope Draft has some of the stuff from their live sets"

2005: "I hope Untilted has stuff from the live set on it"

2008: "I hear Quaristice is based on edited jams, at last some of the live sets"

2010: "Oversteps better have the live sets on it"

2010: "Move of Ten sounds like it will be a release of the live set"

2011: "Maybe a bonus live disc with the EPs box"

I'd like to know if it has any of the tracks from their live sets.

2003: "I hope Draft has some of the stuff from their live sets"

2005: "I hope Untilted has stuff from the live set on it"

2008: "I hear Quaristice is based on edited jams, at last some of the live sets"

2010: "Oversteps better have the live sets on it"

2010: "Move of Ten sounds like it will be a release of the live set"

2011: "Maybe a bonus live disc with the EPs box"

Don't extinguish mah hopes.

Oh I hope it too, but long since resigned to collecting live recordings and expecting the albums to break new ground. Actually I think I would be disappointed at a live set release, since the live sets are like a whole second release schedule and we get (effectively) another lo-fi album each time they tour.

Is it some yearning for a truly proper underground "real deal" artists when everything, even in the "independent" world, is marketed and controlled to a tee mirroring the majors?

an astute observation that i rarely ever hear mentioned here or anywhere else. I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable. It's actually very disturbing to me how much corporate marketing techniques have been adopted and wielded by 'underground' culture.

Oh man, amen to that. At least I'm not the only one feeling utterly alienated.

Oh man, amen to that. At least I'm not the only one feeling utterly alienated.

lol, what underground culture ? no such thing anymore, getting a rip of some 100-copies-limted obscuro-post-fag-vaporcore is just as easy as getting the latest beyonce or something, the internet leveled everything, and thank fuck for that. it takes almost zero effort of snapping out of some corporate-lead stream you're perceiving.

I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable.

Hah, i did the same thing and feel the same way. That's the reason I began to make music...not that my music is any good as Ae but I'm listening them cause thy can do it better (for now :-p). Oversteps is not on my Top 3 Ae list but they were honest whit it, didn't try to amaze us and i respect that.

There's a million producers out there that just show off with a 'million events per second' music but nothing stands behind their music, no soul - no brain, nothing...and it's forgettable. High tech, high pro but forgettable.

Ae is one of a few that differs. I can hear THEM, a thou them everything else, visible and invisible...cause their music is veracious. This is the only thing that matters to me and I know they'll deliver.

So I don't expect any particular sound palette or style from Exai. For me it's enough it exist.

There's a million producers out there that just show off with a 'million events per second' music but nothing stands behind their music, no soul - no brain, nothing...and it's forgettable. High tech, high pro but forgettable.

testify!