IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

There's a million producers out there that just show off with a 'million events per second' music but nothing stands behind their music, no soul - no brain, nothing...and it's forgettable. High tech, high pro but forgettable.

testify!

As i sad: ''Ae is one of a few that differs.'' ...meaning, except of those few everybody else. But i guess i should sad IMO.

Guest pixelives
Is it some yearning for a truly proper underground "real deal" artists when everything, even in the "independent" world, is marketed and controlled to a tee mirroring the majors?

an astute observation that i rarely ever hear mentioned here or anywhere else. I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable. It's actually very disturbing to me how much corporate marketing techniques have been adopted and wielded by 'underground' culture.

Oh man, amen to that. At least I'm not the only one feeling utterly alienated.

lol, what underground culture ? no such thing anymore, getting a rip of some 100-copies-limted obscuro-post-fag-vaporcore is just as easy as getting the latest beyonce or something, the internet leveled everything, and thank fuck for that. it takes almost zero effort of snapping out of some corporate-lead stream you're perceiving.

LOL. Chill out. You're misinterpreting what I said. The perception of something underground is what I'm saying. Also I'm not talking about accessibility but perception and how things are marketed. Underground, included.

out of curiosity, what bands are you saying are marketed this way?

i'd like him to answer that one, but i could make a very long list if you want me to. This always seems to get me in trouble when i bring up this point because i want to make clear that I'm not faulting the artist or the music itself, it's the label and the promotional arm behind them. Effective marketing is not inherently bad, but it is sort of creepy when marketing becomes so effective that people don't even realize that they are being marketed to in the most literal sense possible. This is in a large part what worries me most about the future of culture, is that people who generate money as their main priority are getting better everyday at making consumers unaware that things they are exposed to are being marketed to them, and the consumer is the target. I would like to take this opportunity to blame one of the biggest culprits, Pitchfork. And in reality they aren't even really to blame, it's that corporate culture and advertising firms have become so influential that even the 'little guy' has learned the art to a T, and by that i mean uncannily emulating the art of corporate marketing.

Edited by Awepittance

i'd like him to answer that one, but i could make a very long list if you want me to. This always seems to get me in trouble when i bring up this point because i want to make clear that I'm not faulting the artist or the music itself, it's the label and the promotional arm behind them. Effective marketing is not inherently bad, but it is sort of creepy when marketing becomes so effective that people don't even realize that they are being marketed to in the most literal sense possible. This is in a large part what worries me most about the future of culture, is that people who generate money as their main priority are getting better everyday at making consumers unaware that things they are exposed to are being marketed to them, and the consumer is the target. I would like to take this opportunity to blame one of the biggest culprits, Pitchfork. And in reality they aren't even really to blame, it's that corporate culture and advertising firms have become so influential that even the 'little guy' has learned the art to a T, and by that i mean uncannily emulating the art of corporate marketing.

Or, a well-produced album can be very expensive to make, and so if you want to recoup your costs, you have to sell so many units, and to do that, you need an audience, and to have an audience, people have to actually know you exist and what your shit sounds like -- thus, marketing. You can need to market without wanting to start a corporation or caring more about your brand than your art.

I'm more interested in knowing what everyone seems to like but shouldn't because it's apparently average and forgettable.

Oh that's easy. Actress and VHS Head.

lol, what underground culture ? no such thing anymore, getting a rip of some 100-copies-limted obscuro-post-fag-vaporcore is just as easy as getting the latest beyonce or something, the internet leveled everything, and thank fuck for that. it takes almost zero effort of snapping out of some corporate-lead stream you're perceiving.

Hmmm, I can't really equate downloading a torrent of some super-obscure music as 'sticking it to the man'. By all means do it, especially if you can't afford the release in the first place, but it's a bit of a stretch to also claim you're making some grand anti-corporate statement.

That's why Rephlex is the shining beacon of wholesomeness.

Is it some yearning for a truly proper underground "real deal" artists when everything, even in the "independent" world, is marketed and controlled to a tee mirroring the majors?

an astute observation that i rarely ever hear mentioned here or anywhere else. I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable. It's actually very disturbing to me how much corporate marketing techniques have been adopted and wielded by 'underground' culture.

Find this interesting as it's something ive been thinking about recently as well, although I dont think it has fuck all to do with artists and labels being evil markerting genius' but is more to do with how people use the internet. I mean you can market something succesfully and heavily to pretty much everyone on watmm just by it being bigged up by boomkat and bleep and starting a thread in the new releases forum. The internet is massive and we all need our filters but think most people just look in the same old places for new music rather than digging a bit deeper and i do that as much as anyone but starting to try and look a bit more for different stuff rather than just rely on the usual suspects

Anyhow thats my tuppence worth, an while am here... new Autechre soon... Yay!!! :)

Guest pixelives

Nailed it better than I could.

Guest pixelives
Did the promo dude (sorry, don't remember your name. I'm sure it's nice.) listen to the album yet?

No mail today.. :(

I'm guessing it probably (hopefully) went out today via the US office since the confaerm was rather late on Friday.

awp I think you are giving marketers too much credit. imo, most people these days listen to what they like and the age group that would be susceptible to savvy marketing steal music rather than buy it.

Guest pixelives

The marketing come in when people start to DECIDE what they want to like or what kind of people they want to align with... It's much more based around "lifestyle" now.

pixelives, you sure lucked out that of all Ae albums to get the promo of you're getting their 2 disc with the unbelievably anticipated bladelores and cloudline on it. Also, Robbie, is it too late to put aside a last minute order for Ambiente! ?

sean: Step right up! Place your bets! I got one bet for the 18th of january! The 18th! One for within the week! That's the 15th. Anyone dare to go any sooner? Any sooner? Maybe any later? Who knows? I do! Overstep right up! You there, with the watmm shirt! No sir, I don't know what a Bull Wallet is. I don't know, check the thread. Step right up folks!

Edited by triachus

Also, Robbie, is it too late to put aside a last minute order for Ambiente! ?

nope! if you want to order one now i'll give you a discount since i had to raise the price. PM me and you can just paypal me something

I downloaded pretty much every release i was unaware of in the watmm top releases of 2012 thread because i've been very much out of the loop recently and not really to my surprise (with a few huge exceptions) most of it seemed heavily (and successfully) marketed but mostly average and forgettable.

Hah, i did the same thing and feel the same way. That's the reason I began to make music...not that my music is any good as Ae but I'm listening them cause thy can do it better (for now :-p). Oversteps is not on my Top 3 Ae list but they were honest whit it, didn't try to amaze us and i respect that.

There's a million producers out there that just show off with a 'million events per second' music but nothing stands behind their music, no soul - no brain, nothing...and it's forgettable. High tech, high pro but forgettable.

Ae is one of a few that differs. I can hear THEM, a thou them everything else, visible and invisible...cause their music is veracious. This is the only thing that matters to me and I know they'll deliver.

So I don't expect any particular sound palette or style from Exai. For me it's enough it exist.

I honestly think the initial 'wow gee golly' phase of Eye Dee Em is over and it's repeating what happens to any 'underground' music that gets a bit more popular and marketable.. just like what happened to 'alternative' in the 90's.. The first thing that happens is they send in the clones (out they come to recreate Isn't Anything--one more time!!) Dopamine sells, and once you find a sure fire way to trigger that release, best to trigger those pathways over and over till they burn out. We don't quite have a Nickelback of IDM yet, though generic dubstep spinoffs these days are getting up there.

I doubt there's less quality music out there, there's just more to wade through to find it. All obscure means is music that is hard to find amidst a sea of a million Myspace pages. I want to find it. Feed me. I couldn't care less if music is obscure or mainstream if it holds my attention.