IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

if you want to find out... you could load the audio from both the promo and the release into an audio editor and substract one from the other, normalize the result. i can think of several ways something could be steganographed into the audio, but keep in mind it needs to survive a CD rip & compression. the more severely the audio is altered during the rip & compression, the harder it will be to actually read the watermark obviously. chances are that a lossy format like mp3 or aac will automagically destroy an "inaudible" watermark. so it doesn't make sense. so it's a lie.

Edited by Guest

Guest extherium
I told the Designers Republic I could whip up the cover art in MS Paint in about 10 minutes.

They told me I didn't understand art.

I was there, I'm the handsome young man who said 'Boom!'.

In my own defence, they didn't really refute me, and I never implied that it was bad cover art. In fact, I was implying that it's absolute nonsense that something like that supposedly took "months" to make.

Edited by extherium

Guest pixelives

Your missing the point. Either way it doesn't matter to me. I am not going to be leaking this since I am neither a journalist nor a usual person to be getting such a thing. I merely have a close friend who is involved and I wouldn't betray that trust of him giving me a copy merely because I am a fan but more importantly a friend.

Also who is to say policies haven't changed in the last three years?

I told the Designers Republic I could whip up the cover art in MS Paint in about 10 minutes.

In my own defence, they didn't really refute me, and I never implied that it was bad cover art. In fact, I was implying that it's absolute nonsense that something like that supposedly took "months" to make.

Do you think they just whip something up and that's the end of the process?

Lol no. You haven't heard the album, so it may very well be goord artwork.

To your defense though, I'm afraid the new album sounds like its artwork. And I don't think I'm ready for an AE album which associates with pixellated galaga enemies, minecraft creepers, qpr-codes, heavily pixellated text and secret binary messages.

Guest extherium

Do you think they just whip something up and that's the end of the process?

I'm sure they had lengthy meetings and all-night brainstorming sessions over many months on how best to optimise the arrangement of the polygons and what hex colour codes to use.

Edited by extherium

Excited for Exai.

Not excited to hear more people complain about Quaristice in the Exai thread.

ya-blew-it.jpg

same, it's almost pathetic honestly to hear so many people wanting one of the most futuristic provocative electronic acts to make an album that is comfortably cohesive for them to listen to. They have plenty of previous albums like this, and you just got another one for the people who want AE to go backwards, Oversteps. Exaited

wait, Oversteps was going backwards? Really? I dunno, I thought it was a bigger leap "forwards" (and I mean forwards as in "trying something completely different" rather than the rather bizarre idea that there is "progress" in music) than any album from Draft on. I felt Untilted and Quaristice were close to treading water, musically.

In any case, I don't really care about progress when it comes to the bands I like, I enjoy music that gives me pleasure to listen to, that feels deep and rich, that feels like the creators enjoyed making it. If it was a labor of love for Sean and Rob, I'll probably enjoy it.

Your missing the point. Either way it doesn't matter to me. I am not going to be leaking this since I am neither a journalist nor a usual person to be getting such a thing. I merely have a close friend who is involved and I wouldn't betray that trust of him giving me a copy merely because I am a fan but more importantly a friend.

Also who is to say policies haven't changed in the last three years?

i din't mean to convince you to leak anything... just interested in that watermark thing from a technical standpoint.

actually, i think to really see the watermark you'd need two individual promo instances from one album and compare these, instead of one promo and one released album. most likely there's significant differences between the promo CDR and the pressed version simply from using vastly different processes to put the data on the disk.

but who knows right? if i had a CD drive, i'd now do the following: rip a CD twice and compare the results, substract & normalize, wondering how much different the files would be...... hej... here's an idea for a concept album :derp:

lol if this spirals into a deadly trainwreck of a discussion of audio formats & their quality.... again

I never did completely understand the whole, "I have to tell everyone I have a promo, but I have to make sure that they know I'm not going to leak it. Yay, look at me I have something first so now my life has meaning, faaaaaart."

Typical troll douchebag material right there bro.

Guest the anonymous forumite
Excited for Exai.

ya-blew-it.jpg

same, it's almost pathetic honestly to hear so many people wanting one of the most futuristic provocative electronic acts to make an album that is comfortably cohesive for them to listen to. They have plenty of previous albums like this, and you just got another one for the people who want AE to go backwards, Oversteps. Exaited

I fail to see how wanting cohesion means going backwards. I'm really surprised that somebody with an elaborate understanding of music like you mixes up cohesion with ease of listening.

I never did completely understand the whole, "I have to tell everyone I have a promo, but I have to make sure that they know I'm not going to leak it. Yay, look at me I have something first so now my life has meaning, faaaaaart."

Typical troll douchebag material right there bro.

*buys gl0tch an Oompa Loompa*

pixelives can you give a mini-review perhaps? some small info about how it sounds or something? or maybe its just best to wait idk. up to you

please post a one-word review of the album, enclosed in a spoiler tag!

To your defense though, I'm afraid the new album sounds like its artwork. And I don't think I'm ready for an AE album which associates with pixellated galaga enemies, minecraft creepers, qpr-codes, heavily pixellated text and secret binary messages.

That sounds fucking awesome.

Quaristice [...] fails to be one of my favorite because of this lack of unity.

Just wanted to agree with this.

And to reiterate that cohesion and "comfort" are by no means related. I wouldn't describe tracks on Confield as comfortable necessarily, but I love the album, and some of that stems from the album as a whole being an experience from start to finish. And I can't imagine listening to one track, they are all just an extension of the whole.

For me Quaristice seems like a mix-tape, compiled from various parts of Autechre's career, in no particular order, and then burned onto a CDR by some random guy. Most of the tracks are exceptional by themselves, but I just never feel like I'm listening to a legit album.

But anyway, Exai. Yeah, I can't wait either.

Edited by fizzkinz

Guest RadarJammer

I really like Quaristice but I can either listen to the first half or the second half at 1 time because every time I try and listen to the full thing I get sleepy at the halfway point. This album is interesting, exciting, fresh, diverse, and awesome but it makes me go to fuckin sleep every single time.

Excited for Exai.

I fail to see how wanting cohesion means going backwards. I'm really surprised that somebody with an elaborate understanding of music like you mixes up cohesion with ease of listening.

agreed. somehow it's 'pathetic' for me to want an album that is enjoyable to listen to? Quaristice was generally not cohesive imo, and though that may have been purposeful, i didn't enjoy that aspect of the album. so....i'm pathetic? i don't think anyone was screaming UGH MORE AMBER here....