having a serious chest related disease and being in hospital, i thought it was a good time to refresh on the Alien franchise. I had re-seen the original Alien after Prometheus and this one obviously still holds up... I will also pretend Alien Resurrected doesn't exist until I get senile. so Alien 3 used to be my fav after 1, it was the first one i saw when i was like 10 years old, alone and at night. it must have left an impression back then, because now, kinda trying to watch it as if for the first time, i realized how it is quite terrible. I had completely forgotten that it plays in a fucking MTV monastery and has the least convincing romance in a film, ever! It makes even Prometheus look like a reasonable film! I would now place the VHS right next to Waterworld in the shelf of not quite great movies. Alien 2 on the other hand, while i loved it when i was 12 years old, i had later disregarded as "the stupid action flick that exploited the Alien name". But now, while Newt is still fucking annoying, i realize that she's there to counterpoint all the freaking badassness of the rest of it. This one is filled with so much techy awesomeness and attention to detail, it is astounding! amazing build up, great boss fight.

Prometheus was totally useless and forgettable on almost every level. I don't get why people who liked Alien would dislike Alien that much. Apart from the first Alien film, Alien 3 has the best atmosphere, not just of impending doom from the aliens themselves but the seething animosity amongst the inmates. Also I thought the character of Clemens was wonderfully sobering and with a good back story, and the "romance" or prelude to one, worked well as yet another glimmer of hope being wrenched from Ripley. The chase scenes are good, the intro scene (if you have the special edition) is quintessencial of the dark, abandoned mood set by the first Alien film. Also Alien 3 has a fucking awesome ending.

I don't get why Alien fans have any beef with this third instalment.

Alien Resurrection had some fantastic ideas but came off way too tongue in cheek and was awfully written.

Aliens, I think, everyone can agree on being a classic. If not for anything else than for the "techy awesomeness" and badassness you mentioned.

Edited by AJW

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

reindeer games

hahahahaha

fever pitch

not a great film but reminded me of growing up and going to watch football. the absurbity of running after someone who is jogging with a box of chocolates was my favourite part

Kwaidan - not bad - 4 short japanese ghost stories over 3 hours, so decent pacing and doesnt feel over long - some absolutely beautiful set design/matte painting/cinematography collabs

90_box_348x490.jpg?1328128327

i was surprised by how not terribly bad jimmy fallon is fever pitch. i was expecting a trainwreck.

nope. was colin firth version

reindeer games

hahahahaha

you know you have a bad film on your hands when the title is pulled from a really bad (improvised?) throwaway line and means nothing in relation to the film

also ben affleck

also aston kutcher was brilliant, especially when pretending to have a conversation

also charlize theron's little titties

Edited by Jimmy McMessageboard

Kwaidan - not bad - 4 short japanese ghost stories over 3 hours, so decent pacing and doesnt feel over long - some absolutely beautiful set design/matte painting/cinematography collabs

my favorite story is the 2nd one- with the snow witch. that set design and matte painting during the entire thing (particularly the tree cutting scenes) was beyond amazing. which one was your favorite one?

Edited by Nebraska

Guest Glass Plate

The Comedy (2012)
Slacker (1991)
Pandora's Box (1929)
Badlands (1973)
In The Heat of the Night (1969)
Dasies aka Sedmikrásky (1966)
The Curious Dr. Humpp (1969)
Anti-Clock (1979)
Gomorrah (2008)
La Haine (1995)
Hunger (2008)
The Hobbit (2012)
Sky Fall (2012)

some good times with pretty much all of these last week.

Edited by Glass Plate

Guest Glass Plate

Oh yeah Just remembered I watched Bernie and Slacker back to back as a little love to Linklater. First time for both, and thoroughly enjoyed both. Bernie is a little cheesey/corny, but it's just such an exciting charector, and the part in the credits where they show Jack Black with the real Bernie really kills it.

Also watched White Dog (1982) that day, I mean I suppose morally it's a great film and a pretty exciting premise, but I feel like it's just too poorly executed (verge of B movie in the not even fun way) to be on Criterion Collection. Still a bad ass movie though just because that guy fux up that dog and that dog fux up ppl.

The Sessions

9/10

I thought this movie was great.

It was a very touching, innocent, romantic and poetic film.

Having said all that, if you haven't seen it, please keep in mind that it is a very simple, lighthearted story. Don't go into it expecting something uber deep and core-shaking.

It's basically about a paraplegic trying to get his nut on.

Obviously, there's more to it than that, but that is the basic idea.

John Hawkes, Helen Hunt and William H Macy were all fantastic. They were all very believable and likeable.

It was a sweet little story, but it resonated with me.

I thought the sex scenes were as tastefully done as they could have been. Although he's no Daniel Day Lewis, Hawkes' portrayal of a severely disabled person was honorable.

Go see it with your special lady / man.

It will make you want to get freaky deaky.

i was surprised by how not terribly bad jimmy fallon is fever pitch. i was expecting a trainwreck.

nope. was colin firth version

oooh, the one that actually makes sense with the book? yet to see that one.

premium rush - shit movie y'all

aww was kinda hoping that was gonna be a film that looked awful but on dvd (or a plane) was actually fun

Guest RadarJammer

aww was kinda hoping that was gonna be a film that looked awful but on dvd (or a plane) was actually fun

i thought it was really fun, i can't think of anything about it that was shit though it wasn't amazing in any way either

glengarry glen ross - 8/10

the conversation - 6,99999 / 10

cloud atlas - 7/10, i think, gonna have to watch it again some day since the copy i downloaded had a rather shite audiotrack.

Source Code - 5/10

conceptually a really interesting idea but shockingly underwhelmed by trying to fit it into some kind of ripped from the headlines terrorist attack plot. Really disappointed. I thought Moon was pretty good compared to this really forgettable film. Just overall felt sort of cheap and a 'smart' scifi made for lowest common denominator audiences. edit: especially if this is supposed to take place in the present, the concept of being able to keep someone alive inside of a computer even for an hour seems to be way cooler than the plot itself which just falls absolutely flat. Very odd movie indeed

Edited by Awepittance

i thought it was really fun, i can't think of anything about it that was shit though it wasn't amazing in any way either

it looks like an iphone commercial, or a google AR glasses visualisation. and the whole plot is just weak. + the dialogue sounds like it was nicked from disney channel. i guess it is watchable, but notmuch more than that. even michael shannon couldn't make it work with his scaring as shit coldness and sociopathy, it only makes him look like a 90s bad guy tv cop.