i've just watched the first 24 minutes of Cosmopolis.

face now covered with Cronenberg's cum, DO NOT WANT

Edited by Guest

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard
The Story of Film - 6 eps in and I will go ahead and give this 10/10 for being a free film history lesson of high calibre without having to pay for a film history class that might not be as detailed and entertaining. Yes, it is on Netflix.

been meaning to watch this. glad to hear it's worth a watch

the Salon review of Django is extremely good, the guy also corretly identifies that the last truly good QT work was Jackie Brown and after that he totally lost it. Still going to see it simply for Leo playing a bad guy, but i fear it will be just as pointless as Inglorious was.

It's been a while since i read a movie review as good as this - http://www.salon.com/2012/12/26/tarantinos_incoherent_three_hour_bloodbath/
a devastating take down to put it mildly. By far the best 'rotten' review on rotten tomatoes also, too many of the other ones complain about the morality of it without addressing the weaknesses of the story itself

Lately Tarantino appears to have drifted into the hipster equivalent of George Lucas-land, where everyone around him agrees with his dumb ideas and nobody dares to observe that the movies are fatally undisciplined and way too long and not really about anything.

sounds pretty accurate to me, Death Proof and Kill Bill are perfect examples of the above

Edited by Awepittance

Jackie Brown was "meh" for me.

basically my breakdown of QT stuff is as follows:

Amazing- Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction

Tolerable-Resevoir Dogs, Jackie Brown

Delving into the shittier side-Everything else.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 7ish/10

emotional and captivating storytelling, sadly the ending like most movies was tied in the shortest sequence

reminded me of Mysterious Skin which is as far as I can remember better

Jackie Brown was "meh" for me.

basically my breakdown of QT stuff is as follows:

Amazing- Inglorious Basterds, Pulp Fiction

Tolerable-Resevoir Dogs, Jackie Brown

Delving into the shittier side-Everything else.

agreed, that seems to match with mine, though I'd put Inglorious a step down from amazing...would put it alongside reservoir dogs and jackie brown. For me his only truly great work was Pulp Fiction.

I'm curious now to re-watch Jackie Brown again, given all the fellating it gets on watmm. I have a hunch I'll find it boring again tho.

The Story of Film - 6 eps in and I will go ahead and give this 10/10 for being a free film history lesson of high calibre without having to pay for a film history class that might not be as detailed and entertaining. Yes, it is on Netflix.

Yeah, this is for all film lovers, the technical side and creative are so well explained, this has now become one of my favourite documentaries. Once I am finished, it will probably be my most favourite. So much love was put into these. You will love it man.

MIREZZI, HAVE YOU SEEN "THE STORY OF FILM"????

Story of film sounds cool. thanks Atop

Not sure about QT being a hipster George Lucas / his films now not being about anything... Reservoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction aren't specifically about anything deep, they are just highly entertaining, well written/acted, suspenseful films. His newer material is still very much in that same ball park but he hasn't progressed beyond his formula so its been cheapened over time. Django was still a lot of fun, it's just annoying because it has the ingredients for something amazing but falls short.

Focusing on critics/reviews before you even see a movie seems like a dumb idea IF you are gonna see the film anyway... You are just gonna spoil scenes for yourself and make yourself aware of flaws ahead of time. Sometimes I wonder if you cynics get more pleasure out of art or hate.

Has the whole world gone mad? I used to think the internet was a great thing, a place for communities to celebrate all the different avenues and unique aspects of the human mind. But lately it feels like a self indulgent swamp. An endless mirage of sterile text in a digital Colosseum. No laughter, no smiling, just the replicated soulless meat grinder of our egos. Human energy and compassion is but a ghost and the only thing we continue to touch is our machines.

lol

You see... had you been sitting here in my office and laughed at me at least there would be some human interaction there. Instead your three letter replication of a laugh is nothing but a symbol of human interaction. So the only real joy that we witness is our own. And like a drug, the addiction will grow until one day you realize how you have no memory of any of this and it will all be but a waste of time.

Empty Space

Edited by compson

Well, if you want real life interaction you could always step away from the computer. FWP, not a film.

Masturbation typically is an individual act, therefore is not entirely equatable to the act of laughing or other more logical and common forms of human interaction. If by touch you mean blow however then yes, a blow job sure beats me saying I would blow job. Exactly my point. And since me saying I would give you a blow job is actually just empty space and not actually a blow job, to entertain us both I will give you a blow job.

*blow job*

edit: @ lumpenprol

Gocab that's exactly my plan once I get out of this room/place with no people aside from my laptop. I was just sharing my realization. Carry on with film thread.

Edited by compson

No laughter, no smiling, just the replicated soulless meat grinder of our egos.

I think you might be projecting a little bit (your 'realization' is merely your own personal experience), how do you know that the authors of the some of the most 'cynical' posts on watmm arent creating smiles and laughter (including for themselves)?

I used to be effected by reading negative reviews of stuff before i saw/listened to it, but I think I've grown up since then. I won't let someone's opinion of something ruin my enjoyment of it, if I lived life that way i'd be probably be pretty depressed all the time

Edited by Awepittance

I think you might be projecting a little bit (your 'realization' is merely your own personal experience), how do you know that the authors of the some of the most 'cynical' posts on watmm arent creating smiles and laughter (including for themselves)?

I used to be effected by reading negative reviews of stuff before i saw/listened to it, but I think I've grown up since then. I won't let someone's opinion of something ruin my enjoyment of it, if I lived life that way i'd be probably be pretty depressed all the time

I think its impossible to not see something once you've seen it. It's like the FedEx logo and the arrow. Spoiling what happens and having "profession critics" pre-package the negative contents of someone elses' hard work seems odd to me. That's all.

And yes of course watmm provides entertainment for people individually, not saying otherwise. No doubt there have been some amazing posts/comments/critiques with valuable and entertaining insights. But as I look back at it these things dissolve into the past and I have no memory of them. I continue of course because I know its been proven to be good, but this need to consume more knowledge/information has reached its boiling point and I think it is time for me to explore new avenues of communication. This is not a judgement on others here, because value is subjective.

Edited by compson

i generally agree with the idea that a professional critic sucks, and (you didnt say this but i will) is most likely a scum bag or a shadow-artist (someone who envies artists but isn't one themselves) but occasionally i'll find an extremely entertaining negative review. See Roger Ebert's review for 'mad dog time' for example, it's a work of art in and of itself because i frankly remember it and think of it more fondly than the movie he's criticizing.

Guest Blue Peter Cheat

Yeah, this is for all film lovers, the technical side and creative are so well explained, this has now become one of my favourite documentaries. Once I am finished, it will probably be my most favourite. So much love was put into these. You will love it man.

MIREZZI, HAVE YOU SEEN "THE STORY OF FILM"????

Is this the 'Odyssey' one with the Northen Irish guy? If so, I concur, it is excellent, even if his accent grates for the first few minutes of every episode.

I think I saw a couple of minutes of the first episode. The narrator has a really weird voice is sitting way too close to the mic, right?

Guest RadarJammer

I think its impossible to not see something once you've seen it. It's like the FedEx logo and the arrow. Spoiling what happens and having "profession critics" pre-package the negative contents of someone elses' hard work seems odd to me. That's all.

And yes of course watmm provides entertainment for people individually, not saying otherwise. No doubt there have been some amazing posts/comments/critiques with valuable and entertaining insights. But as I look back at it these things dissolve into the past and I have no memory of them. I continue of course because I know its been proven to be good, but this need to consume more knowledge/information has reached its boiling point and I think it is time for me to explore new avenues of communication. This is not a judgement on others here, because value is subjective.

If you go to a movie at theater you could have most of the plot spoiled by all sorts of shit talking critics but the big screen in front is so big and the sound so loud that it usually pushes the spoilers right out of the minds eye. It can be like someone showing you a map of a roller coaster track but every turn will still surprise your reactive mind.