IGNORED

Tha

Ifeelspace

Tha is one of those things that makes me hate making music sometimes. I think I've made a pretty good track, and then I hear Tha, and I'm like "what the fuck am I doing"

1.tha

2.ageispolis

3.ptolemy

4.xtal

5.all the rest.

tha is not only my favourite track on saw, but most probably my favourite track by rdj.

as is stated in another thread, tha is the track i would always use to introduce people to rdj.

the "african" rhythm makes this gem so special...if you find someone who can appreciate tha and doesn't ask "when does it change? where's the droppppp?", you have found a musical being.

Tha is one of those things that makes me hate making music sometimes. I think I've made a pretty good track, and then I hear Tha, and I'm like "what the fuck am I doing"

nah, see man, i get why yer feelin like that. In the past sometimes I'd put on a Neil Young track or some early 'phex, be blown away by how simple & effective it was, start feeling like "man how'd they do that". But you're never gonna be able to do what Aphex Twin did on his best albums. Law of physics. Only Aphex Twin coulda done that. What you can do, tho, is keep workin the ganus angle. Put you're energy & soul into whatever you do, & maybe someday you'll produce the best possible ganus music, that'll be just as good as any of your favourite albums, but in its own way

maybe not tho. maybe we're not currently in one of the universes where you reach those peaks. no biggie. all realities exist & you choose this, etc

1.tha

2.ageispolis

3.ptolemy

4.xtal

5.all the rest.

On point for me, though I might swap out xtal for pulsewidth. Xtal has a really amazing vibe, & was like a perfect introduction to this guy's music for me, but I find it doesn't hold up quite as well as some of the other material on this disk after 50+ listens

Just because you don't get the feeling you get from Tha from something you've made, doesn't mean that someone else won't get that feeling from it. I think sometimes it is easy to get disassociated from our own music because you literally have to design it. It is hard to get out of that headspace when you have heard the same 15 sec, 60 sec, etc. over and over again.

Archived