IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

So what was the deal with those download cards? Did anybody get into the reserva site? Was there exclusive content?

momentos/promo cards and that's it - I got the same download (wallpapers, single, video) as everyone else. It was a bit misleading, I thought that was the pre-order download code.

I actually contacted bleep and this was the response, a letdown but at least they cleared it up:

Hi Joshua

The code on your card was meant to be a reference for the shop for your pre-order.

If you go to the URL on your card it will initiate a download of BoC wallpaper and a link to a video on Youtube.

When you pick up your record from Waterloo Records there will be a download card in it with a URL on it and a code.

So I would recommend going to pick up your record soon!*

Bleep Support

*I actually avoided picking up yesterday because the record store said "it'd be too busy" - they had some in-store concert and parking was going to be nonexistant

WAY TO SEND ME A DAMAGED SLEEVE BLEEP

LGjXeCq.jpg

that would drive me nuts too

I feel your pain

apparently this is a common problem.

http://imgur.com/eqPqq2w

http://imgur.com/a/N9dGs

way to go, bleep. you fucks.

WAY TO SEND ME A DAMAGED SLEEVE BLEEP

BfW8qsE.jpg

what are those brutes in ann arbor doing?

(that's where mine was shipped from)

Bleep really bleeped up.

I can understand the aggravation. This isn't even something like a misprint or incorrect packaging or a accidental release of shelved cover art featuring the brothers with butcher knives and decapitated baby dolls...i.e. something that's ironically collectible. it's just poor packaging and shipping. There's no excuse for that.

Hi Joshua

The code on your card was meant to be a reference for the shop for your pre-order.

If you go to the URL on your card it will initiate a download of BoC wallpaper and a link to a video on Youtube.

When you pick up your record from Waterloo Records there will be a download card in it with a URL on it and a code.

Bleep Support

That's not how they made it sound when the cards were first given out.

Edited by LOL Alzado

Hi Joshua

Bleep Support

Yeah, I talked with the owner of my local store where I preordered and he said that Warp was planning on doing something with the codes but couldn't finish/make it work before they had to go out. Emailed Bleep support about it too and they also neglected to mention the goof like they did in their reply to joshuatx.

:cisfor:

yea im sure there will be an ep with a few monsters that didnt fit the narrative as they saw fit.

that would be awesome. but I don't have high hopes seeing how long it took them to squeeze this out.

I have an undefeated record in avatar bets. juss sayin...

Hi Joshua

Bleep Support

Yeah, I talked with the owner of my local store where I preordered and he said that Warp was planning on doing something with the codes but couldn't finish/make it work before they had to go out. Emailed Bleep support about it too and they also neglected to mention the goof like they did in their reply to joshuatx.

bleep pls. how much more fuck ups can there be with one of your core 3?

Reading this thread, I am baffled at the almost total lack of love for "Jacquard Causeway" (even from people who have a favorable view of the album thus far). That track floored me the first time and the appreciation has just been building since.

• Thanks 1

Hi Joshua

Bleep Support

bleep pls. how much more fuck ups can there be with one of your core 3?

Well I hope they make up for that in some form: surprise bonus download or something. No one at my location would of known that, all they said was "we got a lot of orders for this release" which was nice to hear. I'm glad I ordered in through my record store so I could "pick" my copy - all of these damaged sleeves are are downer.

I'm very happy with my copy despite all this as a fan. I was a lameass d-bag mp3 downloader/hoarder back in 2005-6, and as someone who has listened to BoC since then it feels great to actually buy a new release from them. I actually don't have a working turntable at the moment either, so for now the LP is on display, propped up neatly on a shelf.

Bleep is lucky that the demand for this was so high and that we're patient fans. I hope there's some kind of apology/statement addressing all the issues though.

Edited by joshuatx

yea im sure there will be an ep with a few monsters that didnt fit the narrative as they saw fit.

that would be awesome. but I don't have high hopes seeing how long it took them to squeeze this out.

there's always a little secondary poop after a huuuuuge long-brewer.

there's always a little secondary poop after a huuuuuge long-brewer.

Hope they ate their veggies.

Guest Gravity

That old loop they used to have playing on their discography page sounds much closer to their TH material than what they were doing prior.

/pointless observation

i never liked that loop much. Now the old OLD "flute down by the ocean" loop (not sure what it was called, that's just what it sounded like to me) they used to have on their old website was badass. I'm guessing it's on youtube somewhere.

troo fan.

Basically, my question is for those who think Tomorrow's Harvest is better than The Campfire Headphase: Why?

I don't know if it's better, I mean who's to say, but as of right now, I really prefer Tomorrow's Harvest to TCH. Both albums are almost like two sides of one coin, the same way Children and Geo were. In my mind, THC was to Children what this new album is to Geo, kind of an older brother with more experience and a greater scope. Beyond these comparisons, I love the new one because it is more minimal, emotionally a bit darker and a lot more mysterious in nature. Tomorrow's Harvest doesn't explicitly say everything it contains - you have to work your way into its songs to appreciate all the subtleties of the music. I always felt that TCH was Boards' pop album - in that everything it has to say stands right there in front of you, which would explain, I guess, its wide popularity. This new one is different: less is more with Tomorrow's Harvest. Fans of ambient music and minimal drone probably have an easier time to get into it. That's why I think it will be a grower for many current haters. After all, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. And sometimes it's harder to appreciate minimal art because you get the feeling that there's not much to chew on or to hold on to. It's like you have to fill in the gaps with your own thoughts and emotions. So in a way, this new album is all about what's left unsaid in the shadows, whereas THC kind of spoon-fed you its melodies under the sun. That's why Tomorrow's Harvest, as beautiful as it is, sometimes feels so uneasy, desolate and melancholic. Another 420-friendly album for sure - a consistent factor that hasn't changed throughout Boards' discography.

Basically, my question is for those who think Tomorrow's Harvest is better than The Campfire Headphase: Why?

I don't know if it's better, I mean who's to say, but as of right now, I really prefer Tomorrow's Harvest to TCH. Both albums are almost like two sides of one coin, the same way Children and Geo were. In my mind, THC was to Children what this new album is to Geo, kind of an older brother with more experience and a greater scope. Beyond these comparisons, I love the new one because it is more minimal, emotionally a bit darker and a lot more mysterious in nature. Tomorrow's Harvest doesn't explicitly say everything it contains - you have to work your way into its songs to appreciate all the subtleties of the music. I always felt that TCH was Boards' pop album - in that everything it has to say stands right there in front of you, which would explain, I guess, its wide popularity. This new one is different: less is more with Tomorrow's Harvest. Fans of ambient music and minimal drone probably have an easier time to get into it. That's why I think it will be a grower for many current haters. After all, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. And sometimes it's harder to appreciate minimal art because you get the feeling that there's not much to chew on or to hold on to. It's like you have to fill in the gaps with your own thoughts and emotions. So in a way, this new album is all about what's left unsaid in the shadows, whereas THC kind of spoon-fed you its melodies under the sun. That's why Tomorrow's Harvest, as beautiful as it is, sometimes feels so uneasy, desolate and melancholic. Another 420-friendly album for sure - a consistent factor that hasn't changed throughout Boards' discography.

I'm up and down with the new album, but this is some beautiful writing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Posts like this inspire me to just enjoy the album more and stop imagining what it 'could be'. A part of whether we enjoy an album (or whatever else) IS choice (hence why it is so tough for new artists.) If I go into listening to TH in a remotely 'critical' or entitlement-driven mindset, it falls flat, as there is a lot to criticise (maybe). But when I've just let it wash over me and chosen to be optimistic, it has been very enjoyable. It's not a difficult listen, that's for sure. :)

That's right, it's important not to have any expectations when you have a long history with an artist... Imagine when Aphex will come back, so many of his biggest fans will be disappointed, because they can already listen to his new album in their heads and they know how it should sound, you know? It's the same story with this new BoC... I feel like many fans had too much of a clear picture of where the duo should or could be heading in 2013 to fully appreciate where they actually are. When philosopher Michel Onfray was repeatedly asked by a journalist why he didn't write about this or that in his latest book, or why he didn't include this or that specific analysis, he told her: I know what your problem is, you came here to interview me to know why I didn't write the book that YOU would like to write. So go ahead and write it! Then you can focus on commenting my book and not the one I should have written according to what a great book is in your head. I think BoC could say that to a couple of disappointed fans these days...

Meh, I have a lot of faith in listeners, especially fans of idm who tend to be rather mentally flexible. We're able to absorb and learn to appreciate all sorts of curveballs, and changes in style. But, if something is mediocre, we're going to feel it.

Guest disoriental express

Meh, I have a lot of faith in listeners, especially fans of idm who tend to be rather mentally flexible. We're able to absorb and learn to appreciate all sorts of curveballs, and changes in style. But, if something is mediocre, we're going to feel it.

Yeah, if someone likes TH then they're obviously just naive and need to learn how to not like it. :cerious: