IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

*drinks coolaid*

LOL!!! maybe. That's why I'm not rushing to judgement. I certainly am digging it more now though. Maybe it's my environment. I've been listening to the album in my car almost exclusively... now it's 2 am, and I'm alone, at home, listening to it after receiving it presented all nice and shit. The art is beautiful. Really nicely done.

For the record, I've always maintained that there are some great tracks on this album. It's not too far fetched that the rest of it just needs to fall into place.

Put that cool aid down.

just biking in to say - second listen, exactly the same reaction from me.

Please let us know after each successive listen so I can update my spreadsheet.

since quite a lot of people here are alluding that the album will 'reveal itself to me upon successive listens', I thought it were prudent to actually give my opinion on successive listens.

funnily enough, I don't see you or kaini picking apart at other people who have mentioned their opinion on the album after their thousandth listen, and their opinion is like sun coming out of their face. but it's cool to be seen with the cool kids isn't it?

thanks jules and baph :wub:

Edited by oscillik

Guest jasondonervan

I finally got myself sorted for FLAC playback at home and on the move, and I think the higher quality definitely benefits listening enjoyment of TH. When I was listening to the Japanese iTunes mp3s, there didn't seem nearly as much peripheral depth to the sound/stereo field as there is when playing the FLAC files.

The album will certainly grow on me but i'm disapointed by the cover art. When Music has the right to children came out in 1998, it was truly "retro" & mysterious but fresh in the context of modern/computerish artworks all around electronic music (same with Daft Punk's Homework).

Now 15 years laters, with Instagram filters everywhere, it aint not working with me anymore. Kinda bored with the THX 1138 setting sun :

Enso+14+THX1138.jpg

daft-punk-releases-get-lucky-featuring-pCS491153-01B-BIG.jpg

Well, i should stop complaing, its great to have a new Boards of Canada LP...

Addicted to Semena Mertvykh.

Seriously one of the best pieces of dark ambient I've heard. It's also the thematic most fitting track on the album.

Edited by Ceerial

lol at liking the album but being disappointed with the cover art. MHTRTC's cover was heavily derived from that MBV cover art, so it's not like they've always been that original (though the title, Music Has the Right to Children is very badass).

I think the cover is pretty cool, I especially like the way it contrasts with the pure yellow cd (nice choice). But even if the cover was crappy I'd still be evaluating the tunes on their own; we've all enjoyed the old tunes tracks with nothing but a crappy B&W photocopied insert...

my-bloody-valentine-isnt-anything-album-

Guest Ron Manager

I've listened to the album four or five times now. I love it. I love everything about it. When it was first became clear BOC were coming back, I dare say I was almost disappointed because Campfire was such a snoozefest. I'd only heard Reach, Cold Earth and Semena, which all sounded great to me. I read a lot of negative comments here about half-finished tracks, lack of emotion, melody, whatever, so I thought I won't get my hopes up too much. Re-reading some of these comments makes me think some people are listening to a different album. I think after further listening this one will be right up there with MHTRTC and Geogaddi. There isn't a dull track on here. The sound is sophisticated, mature, and it's moodier than anything else they've ever done. I love the artwork too.

A+ would listen again.

Edited by Ron Manager

Seriously one of the best pieces of dark ambient I've heard. It also the thematic most fitting track on the album.

Still my favorite. Followed by Nothing is Real.

Seriously one of the best pieces of dark ambient I've heard. It also the thematic most fitting track on the album.

It is a wonderful track. I do really miss the static that was in the broadcast version, though!

I've listened to the album four or five times now. I love it. I love everything about it. When it was first became clear BOC were coming back, I dare say I was almost disappointed because Campfire was such a snoozefest. I'd only heard Reach, Cold Earth and Semena, which all sounded great to me. I read a lot of negative comments here about half-finished tracks, lack of emotion, melody, whatever, so I thought I won't get my hopes up too much. Re-reading some of these comments makes me think some people are listening to a different album. I think after further listening this one will be right up there with MHTRTC and Geogaddi. There isn't a dull track on here. The sound is sophisticated, mature, and it's moodier than anything else they've ever done. I love the artwork too.

A+ would listen again.

(because I agree except for TCH being a snoozefest)

It is a wonderful track. I do really miss the static that was in the broadcast version, though!

It's interesting to me that this is the first track they played for us, and it's the last track on the album. Makes me feel like there is more music on the horizon.

Guest fsdapfad

It's interesting to me that this is the first track they played for us, and it's the last track on the album. Makes me feel like there is more music on the horizon.

Gotta say I'm not sure how that follows...

Guest Ron Manager

(because I agree except for TCH being a snoozefest)

OK, I exaggerate a bit, it's not THAT bad. But I rarely go back and listen to it like I do MHTRTC or Geogaddi. It just doesn't click with me for whatever reason.

Guest Gravity

Vinyl & CD just arrived. Man, the artwork looks so fucking ace on this in person. Beautiful.

Almost makes me wish I waited to hear it! :lol:

Also as much as I do really dig this album, there is a part of me that misses their more playful side (Aquarius, Roygbiv) and their more direct beats (Happy Cycling, Kid For Today, Everything You Do Is A Balloon, Pete Standing Alone etc etc).

Let's hear it for The Campfire Headphase, the most unfairly bullied, arbitrarily shat on album in IDMz history. As in how could you "meh" that album and not this one?

Guest disoriental express

Let's hear it for The Campfire Headphase, the most unfairly bullied, arbitrarily shat on album in IDMz history. As in how could you "meh" that album and not this one?

Because people hear things differently from one another.

Agree. It's actually quite interesting how polarizing both TCH and TH are. I think TCH is by far the superior album, but it has less initial "wow" factor. Will be interesting to see how TH ages with the fans.

Guest englishbob

Personally fed up with the Campfire bashing to be honest, in the grand scheme of things (and the amount of shit music thats out there) its a decent LP.

I have previously recommended to some that starting the LP from track 6 works better though.

My main problem with TCH is that Tears and Farewell Fire, in sequence if not individually, are a fucking un-compelling drag. I get the idea, thematically, but I don't want to listen.

Edit: Not that it's much of a hassle to stop play through after STBD, which is wonderful.

Edited by baph