IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

wow, im pleasantly surprised. im actually digging copy of a... the live version in heard via pitchfork was pretty blah imo, but this is good stuff. it's interesting, it has depth, it's kinda droney in a unique way, cool sound design. vocals are nice even, and i love the percussion layers on top- they remind me of those pretty hate machine industrial sequences and a bit like memorabilia as mentioned earlier. not bad at all.. if there are one or two more songs like this on the album, i won't be all that disappointed after all (:

p.s. it's hard to put aside my low expectations with new nin, but what i'll do is imagine im hearing the song in an action flick or thriller and if it works, which this track did, it usually means it has some nin thrill for me haha.. i could hear this in some kind of spy movie or a hacker/hi tech action flick. that would be rad.

Edited by Lane Visitor

The track is actually a lot better than I would expect from him these days. Still has the very reminiscent old melodic motifs in the 2nd chorus, reminds me of the same melody from The Day the whole world went away. The only thing i can't stand is the Cher part where it sounds like he's autotuned and being cutup in oneof those choruses. Do away with the autotune and Id say this is a decent track

Find My Way appears to be the most interesting one to me so far. The instrumental would have fit nicely on the Ghosts release - very minimal. Not keen on the lyrics though (no surprise):

Find My Way appears to be the most interesting one to me so far. The instrumental would have fit nicely on the Ghosts release - very minimal. Not keen on the lyrics though (no surprise):

Listening again, and you're right pretty cool Ghosts-ish vibe. The piano trills have a Howard Shore's "The Game" feel, which is my absolute favorite movie score (along with lost in translation, eyes wide shut never ending story haha) I must have been in a bad mood the day i streamed these lol..

Edited by Lane Visitor

It's awesome! Good to hear some NIN synthpop again.

The track is actually a lot better than I would expect from him these days. Still has the very reminiscent old melodic motifs in the 2nd chorus, reminds me of the same melody from The Day the whole world went away. The only thing i can't stand is the Cher part where it sounds like he's autotuned and being cutup in oneof those choruses. Do away with the autotune and Id say this is a decent track

I didn't hear any autotune, not that it'd offend me or anything. I'm happy that it's starting to leak into this genre actually (cf. Skinny Puppy, Filter); it seems like it was made for exploiting.

I see there is a lot of dissent in this thread regarding the trajectory of Reznor's career following 'The Fragile'. Perhaps my viewpoint is unique and more unfettered upon hearing these 'Hesitation Marks' tracks because I haven't actually listened to any NIN post 'The Fragile' (although I can certainly hear skeins of TDS/TF thematics and gimmicks in the sound of these new tracks, in spite of liking them).

The vibe of this new track actually reminds me of the better parts of With Teeth in terms of it's flowing structure & less intense vibe

I'm still trying to come to terms with the album title.

Hesitant? :emotawesomepm9:

In other news, Amazon.com is offering the second single for free, but now I can't seem to find it anymore...

The only thing i can't stand is the Cher part where it sounds like he's autotuned and being cutup in oneof those choruses.

My girlfriend actually pointed out the autotune to me while I was listening. Totally didn't notice at first... and then I wasn't sure if I was actually hearing it or if the copied bits just gave that impression of unnatural autotune perfection. I'm afraid to reinvestigate since apparently hearing new NIN just makes me angry now.

I'm still trying to come to terms with the album title.

Hesitant? :emotawesomepm9:

In other news, Amazon.com is offering the second single for free, but now I can't seem to find it anymore...

My knee just filed assault charges because I slapped it so much.

The only thing i can't stand is the Cher part where it sounds like he's autotuned and being cutup in oneof those choruses.

My girlfriend actually pointed out the autotune to me while I was listening. Totally didn't notice at first... and then I wasn't sure if I was actually hearing it or if the copied bits just gave that impression of unnatural autotune perfection. I'm afraid to reinvestigate since apparently hearing new NIN just makes me angry now.

yeah if it's autotune or not, saccharine modern expensive pop production tropes and NIN do not mix for me. Modey you're serious about wanting autotune to start being in more music? Why? You don't think it's been exploited enough already?

yeah if it's autotune or not, saccharine modern expensive pop production tropes and NIN do not mix for me. Modey you're serious about wanting autotune to start being in more music? Why? You don't think it's been exploited enough already?

I actually like the sound of it when used tastefully, so yes. Keep in mind my only exposure to pop music these days is by choice.

Guest RadarJammer

people still use flangers, and those mostly sound like donkey shit since day 1

Guest Popemobile v2

The first song released from this thing was pretty facepalm. "Copy of A" is alright, I may have dug it more if I was still anticipating watered-down NIN circa the With Teeth era. Speaking of watered down, that Guardian interview that modey posted was instructive; Trent says he still deals with some of that rage and depression that he had back in the day, but in his over-the-hill way: hence the music being more subdued. I guess I'll buy that. Unless his whole persona has been a fraud all along, it's hard to go from drug-abusing, suicide-fantasizing 90s Trent to 100% "normal" Trent. It's not going to make me particularly care about the album either way though. For the legacy of his music, it would kinda sorta have been best if he OD'd or something the day after he released And All That Could Have Been and Still. His essential catalog would have neatly been contained and the legacy could not be made something other. Maybe the real Trent did off himself, and the muscled-up dude is an imposter the record company sent out in his place. "Paul is dead," Trent style.

Going back to the Guardian interview, I was pleased to see this bit. It contrasts with what someone else on the 'ole WATMM said, that Reznor basically said the election of Obama averted the Year Zero future. He probably did say that though, didn't he... For now he has changed his tune.

His initial optimism about Obama seems to have evaporated, too. "The day he was elected really felt like: 'I can't believe that just happened.' Jump ahead a few years and … I know one person can't change everything and it's the system that's broken, but the [Edward] Snowden shit that we're finding out about now, is this a surprise to anybody? But no one will do anything about it. We just had banks rip us off, bankrupt the country. Who went to jail for that? Who's accountable for that? Whatever changed about that? Nothing. [Year Zero] has come true.

In the end, the Oneohtrix Point Never remix on the bonus edition is probably what I'm most excited to hear.

Very hyped after the first two released tracks, had those on repeat all day.

I get the impression that this album will pay homage to Pretty Hate Machine, hopefully it'll be like PHM and The Fragile combined.

So he breaks from his usual melodic style and you complain.

I don't care, those vocal harmonies are fucking LUSH. Sounds like this album will be quite an interesting listen IMO

The first song released from this thing was pretty facepalm. "Copy of A" is alright, I may have dug it more if I was still anticipating watered-down NIN circa the With Teeth era. Speaking of watered down, that Guardian interview that modey posted was instructive; Trent says he still deals with some of that rage and depression that he had back in the day, but in his over-the-hill way: hence the music being more subdued. I guess I'll buy that. Unless his whole persona has been a fraud all along, it's hard to go from drug-abusing, suicide-fantasizing 90s Trent to 100% "normal" Trent. It's not going to make me particularly care about the album either way though. For the legacy of his music, it would kinda sorta have been best if he OD'd or something the day after he released And All That Could Have Been and Still. His essential catalog would have neatly been contained and the legacy could not be made something other. Maybe the real Trent did off himself, and the muscled-up dude is an imposter the record company sent out in his place. "Paul is dead," Trent style.

Going back to the Guardian interview, I was pleased to see this bit. It contrasts with what someone else on the 'ole WATMM said, that Reznor basically said the election of Obama averted the Year Zero future. He probably did say that though, didn't he... For now he has changed his tune.

His initial optimism about Obama seems to have evaporated, too. "The day he was elected really felt like: 'I can't believe that just happened.' Jump ahead a few years and … I know one person can't change everything and it's the system that's broken, but the [Edward] Snowden shit that we're finding out about now, is this a surprise to anybody? But no one will do anything about it. We just had banks rip us off, bankrupt the country. Who went to jail for that? Who's accountable for that? Whatever changed about that? Nothing. [Year Zero] has come true.

In the end, the Oneohtrix Point Never remix on the bonus edition is probably what I'm most excited to hear.

i just think we can all agree that most 'rebellious' musician statements about politics are probably expressed from a naive and/or uninformed perspective. Year Zero's Infowarrior flavored 'politics' make the cute ravers VS police inside fold-out to Music for the Jilted Generation look like a chomsky thesis

Edited by John Ehrlichman

First 2 songs were like "Ok this is what NiN are now" this new everything song, my jaw was on the floor thinking what the fuck happend

Edited by blackdust