IDM Goes Pop?

Lane Visitor

2005/06: euro club/ dark disco/rave

2007 ish: disco pop/new wave

2008/09: techno/electro

2010: euro trance/synth pop

2011: dubstep/hip house/dutch techno

2012: progressive electro/dubstep/caribbean/

2013: trap... industrial.. garage... grime.. gabber?

2014: .... IDM?

not judging this potential phenomenon one way or another or that it's likely to happen, just seems like something i could see the kanye's and the pharell's and the jay z's getting all hyped up as the next big electronic music subgenre trend picked up by the mainstream...

although it could likely be trip hop, dnb, jungle, whatever... italo disco...

thoughts?

would that be scary? ...cool? f*cked? what would/could that be like? would idm fans abandon their fav genre if that happened?.. embrace it even more?... ridiculous to even consider?

of course, im not saying idm would go pop per so, but that mainstream pop producers/artists could infuse their styles with remnants. we're already starting to hear a lotta glitchyness, distorted bass and heavy bitcrushing in top 40 music... never know lol

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDM already went pop in the 90's.

Its all over, the dream is over, move on.

ya but so did euro techno in the 90s.. and it just recently came back full fledge and even harder ha

trends recycle

I'm going for -

2014: Brunkcore

2015: Hyperflex/Crowded House

2016: Soundflange

2017: Skankle

2018: Umbridge/Un-rave

2019: Phunt Metal

2020: Dune'd / Macro

Guest Rulohead32

That new bieber ft noisea & william basinski is S0000 UN-RAVE!!!!

bieber will be already dead of AIDS in 2018.

I think the predictability of trends recycling, especially the 20 year cycle (50s rock revival in 70s, 60s motown and soul nostalgia in 80s, 70s disco and rock in 90s, 80s music of all genres in 00s, current 90s techno and dance revival in electronic music) is starting to fall apart - the 90s was the beginning of postmodern pop (sampling explosion in pop and underground music in various genres) anyway. I think it'll be a free-for-all completely soon, once there's a revival of late 90s alt rock and every indie buzzband starts playing Semisonic and Matchbox Twenty ballads and make Smash Mouth's "All Star" a riddim sampled more often than the Amen Break at which point pop music will create a cultural wormhole.

yes but wouldnt it be cool if aphex twin released a new album

i wouldnt mind that (:

oh btw i heard from a neighbor's friend of my aunt's dog's best friend that someone mentioned at a little pub in cornwall that polygon window is coming out with something new soon..

I think the predictability of trends recycling, especially the 20 year cycle (50s rock revival in 70s, 60s motown and soul nostalgia in 80s, 70s disco and rock in 90s, 80s music of all genres in 00s, current 90s techno and dance revival in electronic music) is starting to fall apart - the 90s was the beginning of postmodern pop (sampling explosion in pop and underground music in various genres) anyway. I think it'll be a free-for-all completely soon, once there's a revival of late 90s alt rock and every indie buzzband starts playing Semisonic and Matchbox Twenty ballads and make Smash Mouth's "All Star" a riddim sampled more often than the Amen Break at which point pop music will create a cultural wormhole.

wow, thats actually a brilliant hypothesis.. i can't help but agree with you.. i've just been waiting til 90s grunge and alt make a comeback, as im sure theyre going to real soon.. and you're right, after that, what else is left to be recycled? maybe rap/metal and bling hip hop, but after that, we'd have already swallowed ourselves and there would be no more decades to recycle.. we're moving so quickly, we're gonna fall into a wormhole ahhh!! haha

yes but wouldnt it be cool if aphex twin released a new album

i wouldnt mind that (:

oh btw i heard from a neighbor's friend of my aunt's dog's best friend that someone mentioned at a little pub in cornwall that polygon window is coming out with something new soon..

Seems legit :rhubear3:

I'm going for -2014: Brunkcore2015: Hyperflex/Crowded House2016: Soundflange2017: Skankle2018: Umbridge/Un-rave2019: Phunt Metal2020: Dune'd / Macro

Lol

It's all one big m-f@cking macro.

Archived