IGNORED

Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity

Redruth

im now wondering if it's just my theatre that has shitty dialed down 3d. I've heard many people say this was the best 3d movie they've ever seen, but it literally wasn't in 3d for like 1/3rd of the movie for me in my theatre, i took my glasses off to test this during the film and i could see that many of the scenes looked totally clear with no doubling (aka no 3d effect). It's really weird that you pay for a movie in 3d, spend an extra $7 or whatever and that literally whole stretches of the movie are literally in 2d.

Nah that's normal. It's the same thing in real life, if you think about it. A lot of the time, both your eyes get an identical image because you're not actually THAT close to objects most of the time to have a noticeably different image for each eye.

That's also why I wrote about how it doesn't make sense for the space shuttle that's a mile away to be in a different place for each eye. But that's what they do so people don't feel cheated like you did. They can't do that in scenes that are actually filmed in 3D, as it is impossible in the real world. They can only do that with rendered shots and with collages.

Phew, it's finally out in the UK and I've avoided spoilers. I'll be going to see it this Saturday hopefully. I'm considering eating hash cakes beforehand.

last time i did this was in dark knight rises, i cried, i thought i was going to die and by the time i walked out of the movie i was convinced it was going to win best picture. hash-food ftw

Reminds me of ...

The Hunger Games: Watched the first half of this film stoned, told everyone it was amazing the next day. Watched the 2nd half and realized my positive critique had mostly been regarding the lead actresses tits.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im now wondering if it's just my theatre that has shitty dialed down 3d. I've heard many people say this was the best 3d movie they've ever seen, but it literally wasn't in 3d for like 1/3rd of the movie for me in my theatre, i took my glasses off to test this during the film and i could see that many of the scenes looked totally clear with no doubling (aka no 3d effect). It's really weird that you pay for a movie in 3d, spend an extra $7 or whatever and that literally whole stretches of the movie are literally in 2d.

Nah that's normal. It's the same thing in real life, if you think about it. A lot of the time, both your eyes get an identical image because you're not actually THAT close to objects most of the time to have a noticeably different image for each eye.

That's also why I wrote about how it doesn't make sense for the space shuttle that's a mile away to be in a different place for each eye. But that's what they do so people don't feel cheated like you did. They can't do that in scenes that are actually filmed in 3D, as it is impossible in the real world. They can only do that with rendered shots and with collages.

that makes sense and might explain part of what I'm talking about BUT I've seen plenty of earlier movies that were filmed with 3d cameras that had a depth of field and 3d effect that rivals almost any modern film. They played an International Space Station documentary about 12 years ago in our local imax theatre in 3d and it looked far more 3d than Gravity. Stuff was coming out all over the screen, the screen itself had much more of a 'looking into a window' effect. I guess i still don't understand why exactly this stuff seems so dialed down for mass consumption. Part of me feels like it's a liability issue. That with a fully intense 3d experience combined with massively loud sound (which they also dial down in modern theatres) could actually lead to heart attacks or other physical side effects normally associated with theme park rides. Theatres just aren't equipped to handle having an in house medical staff to address these needs if they arrive. (totally invented theory of mine)

The last time i can remember seeing a movie where I felt that it's presentation was very intense was Spiderman 3 and Drag me to Hell. I think Sam Raimi somehow gets special permission to make his movies louder than a normal film and really max out the sound system to the point where you do get those jarring 'jump' effects on sounds and massively intense bass pressure. I didn't see his Oz movie, but Drag me to hell was loud as shit, I felt like i had hearing damage walking out of the theatre as if I had just seen a rock concert

My local theater has their shit so loud that it actually started to hurt and fatigue my ears. I would welcome a slightly lesser volume.

been using ear plugs for the last few years because of this. I thought Gravity was relatively peaceful (sonically) compared to most action movies in a theater. Probably the best cinematic experience i've had in years, though the 3D glasses were kinda stifling/hella uncomfortable. I'd still complain about too much dramatic score, though there seemed to be good subtleties to it.

Rather than conspiracy theories or Sam Reimi having elite status - I think that 3D movies are generally only 'dialled up' for the beginning, end and certain cum shots during.

I guess people feel sick or something when they watch 2 hours of 'dialled up' 3D. Or something.

I guess that Sam Raimi doesn't give a shit if people feel sick and that's why his films are louder and more sickening.

Yep, I'd prefer if the 3d was as dialled up as I wanted. I'd rather feel sick than watch something pedestrian.

Maybe they should have special screenings for the strong of stomach.

Rather than conspiracy theories or Sam Reimi having elite status - I think that 3D movies are generally only 'dialled up' for the beginning, end and certain cum shots during.

I certainly got the feeling that a few scenes in Gravity were more intense with their use of 3D than others. Intro. Action sceness especially and the confetti at the end.

But saying that, the film was so good at being immersive than I might not have noticed it so much. Especially the twirling shots of space stations and whatever. They were dizzying without being amazed by the 3D.

Well fuck, am I tired of this polished turd called Hollywood.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was visually pleasing and there were some certain "hm hm, that's pretty good" moments throughout. Also, the moral was pretty good too (keep on going), but fuck, I'd rate this movie about a 6.7/6.8, and that's me being generous.

I can't really name WHY it was that, just that it's so fucking.. aah..

For example, the music: the movie starting off with "PPL:FGHINGN" buzzshock soundnoisebleep made me snort out loud. "oh boy, here we go" I thought, and I wasn't disappointed in that department: what an over-composed, over-dramatic piece of soundtrack shit this was.

I just can't swallow Hollywood's imaginary cock anymore. I used to be a willing gulper, but now that this disillusion bubble has popped, I am just very, very tired of Hollywood.

"Pipe down, tatter, 't's'just a movie".

Yes.. yes it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4.

Well fuck, am I tired of this polished turd called Hollywood.

I just can't swallow Hollywood's imaginary cock anymore. I used to be a willing gulper, but now that this disillusion bubble has popped, I am just very, very tired of Hollywood.

Is it Hollywood to blame here, though? Maybe the influence of Hollywood, but it was written, directed and edited by a Mexican independent director with a Mexican cinematographer who were working together since the early days in homeland. Even the production is mainly British, as is composer.

Archived