IGNORED

Alfonso Cuarón - Gravity

Redruth

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im honestly really pumped to see this movie. good director, and it reminds me of that ray bradbury story from the 50s(i think there was a comic version of it?) The concept is utterly terrifying.

ah yeah that is one of his best

im honestly really pumped to see this movie. good director, and it reminds me of that ray bradbury story from the 50s(i think there was a comic version of it?) The concept is utterly terrifying.

ah yeah that is one of his best

do you remember its name by chance? i would love to reread it, but I cant remember what it was called...

It's funny how the trailer says "At 372 Miles above the earth, there is nothing to carry sound", yet it makes heavy use of sound effects.

But yeah, seeing giant things move and crash without sound is just boring looking, so it's totally understandable. The only show I recall that pulled off the realistic space-silence on all exterior-shots was Firefly. And it did look kinda unspectacular there too, but made the nerd-part of me smile.

It's funny how the trailer says "At 372 Miles above the earth, there is nothing to carry sound", yet it makes heavy use of sound effects.

But yeah, seeing giant things move and crash without sound is just boring looking, so it's totally understandable. The only show I recall that pulled off the realistic space-silence on all exterior-shots was Firefly. And it did look kinda unspectacular there too, but made the nerd-part of me smile.

Speaking of Firefly, I love that one scene when a couple of characters end up hiding outside the ship and one of them looks out into the vast emptiness of space and there's this booming sound que to give that sense of vertigo. I wonder how it really would feel to float in space and just realize the vastness of space, would it be like getting vertigo?

It's likely, I guess, since we are a species that developed on earth and it wasn't evolutionarily planned for us to go into space. Vertigo is a kind of protection, so I guess it would kick in when you look down on earth's or any other object's surface from far above.

So far Gravity is causing massive boners in movie critics. A boner for a man is a given, but, even women movie critics are popping boners after screening this film supposedly.

i always get really irritated by this "space disaster" movies because i always wonder "do they spend that much money to get a manned mission to space only to have the whole thing fall apart in about 1 hour?"

i mean- do they not spend time running tests and simulations to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen? because it's would be a pretty devastating thing on human morale, resources and the science community.

with that said, i'm hoping this is actually entertaining, because of the directors track record, but i really wish we can go back to making interesting, thought-provoking science fiction rather than "halp! the spacecraft isn't working anymore" or "shit guys. i think there is a monster on the ship. and it's the giant praying mantis type"

it's funny how close many modern sci fis could get to existential awesomeness if they just had the confidence to remove all the explosions and Hollywood-isms. Like Oblivion, okay so it was a bit of a mish-mash of different sci fis, but I kept thinking how if they kept the sleek, austere design but removed all the bot fights, and added a bit more thought to the encounter at the end, it could have been pretty moving/thought-provoking.

Despite the mish-mash aspect I did really like one thing about it that I haven't seen much

the idea of an early exploration team encountering an alien intelligence that then uses the explorers as puppets for its own ends

the idea of an early exploration team encountering an alien intelligence that then uses the explorers as puppets for its own ends

kinda like brainiac from the superman cartoon from the 90's.

i always get really irritated by this "space disaster" movies because i always wonder "do they spend that much money to get a manned mission to space only to have the whole thing fall apart in about 1 hour?"

i mean- do they not spend time running tests and simulations to ensure this sort of thing doesn't happen? because it's would be a pretty devastating thing on human morale, resources and the science community.

Yeah you'd expect so, but then there was this Challenger tragedy, the ship that broke apart during lift off...

We still don't know what will cause the Gravity-meltdown, hoping it's not "Nooo don't go out there!" - "Nooo I must do it I must!" angsty stuff alà incompetent geologist from Prometheus.

more existential sci-fi would be nice. but, there's only a handful of quality surrounded by a lot of dumb.

I've been ringing the commercial bells for this film for a while now, but I'll say it again: Europa Report!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived