IGNORED

Drexciya - Journey Of The Deep Sea Dweller IV

Herr Jan

It's coming, this is enough confirmation for me:

28bWfqr.jpg

As previous editions, it'll probably released early in the new year (part I in early 2011, part II in early 2012, etc.). Rumours are there are more unreleased tracks on this one, so I'm looking forward to this one!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm disappoint. why is there a freeware plugin in this screenshot. eeewww. not very professional, if youre going to be a top producer, you need to have the plutonium bundle, which contains a more accurate scope than that freeware garbage.

jesus finally.

i guess i bought #3 in march but still seems like forever ago and I need to complete the SET. Let's hope they do it right this time---packaging wise. aka leave the IV on the spine... idiots.

Shouldn't it bother you more that analogue tape gets digitally mastered on a computer (and then pressed on vinyl) than the fact that free VSTs are being used for that?

i'm disappoint. why is there a freeware plugin in this screenshot. eeewww. not very professional, if youre going to be a top producer, you need to have the plutonium bundle, which contains a more accurate scope than that freeware garbage.

Shouldn't it bother you more that analogue tape gets digitally mastered on a computer (and then pressed on vinyl) than the fact that free VSTs are being used for that?

Ok, I'll bite then:

I only read moaning here about HOW he does it, not a word about what the endresults are. The first 3 editions I got on vinyl and they are great. It is really the FIRST time that I prefer a remaster over the original. Considering I like Drexciya because of the raw sound, I think this is quite the accomplishment.

Besides that, it isn't like this guy has just used a torrented version of Fruity Loops with some freeware vst's for twenty years and never used analogue tape recorders, he knows what's up. You'd be amazed to see what this guy did for mastering jobs, let alone his own productions.

Anyway, for whom it may interest, here is an interview with Alden Tyrell about the mastering of the Drexicya series (4 in total afaik):

http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2012/07/11/alden-tyrell-remastering-the-masters/

Or check out this interview with him from +-10 years ago (from 3:45 or so):

Thanks for that film, Herr Jan. Hadn't seen that one before!

Yeah same here. What freeware is he using? I see his use of it more as an endorsement of the vst than anything else. I couldn't find the one skibby mentioned.

The Drexciya sourced tapes aren't 24bit, 96khz digital masters either:

“Our guy in Detroit digitized all DATs and multitrack tapes to WAV then did it again on our request because the new sound device he used sounded way better than the first,” Martijn says. “After that we put all the tracks together, had a meeting with some people working at Clone and made selections that kept on changing till the end!”

That drove me nuts when people kept scoffing at BoC Old Tunes tapes - how they rather wait for the "masters" to be used in reissued. My response was "what masters? their DAT tapes?" Anything made by underground musicians, especially from the late 90s and older, is not going to be hi-fi by industry standards. We're talking DAT and cassette tapes, 16 or 12 bit or even 8bit sampling, Atari sequencers, cheaper rack units, etc. One could argue a lot of freeware is actually better in quality and performance (and inherently less 'analog' in sound).

I see what Skibby is saying but as Herr Jan pointed out, Tyrell knows his stuff. It's more about knowing how to master and not the tools themselves.

Thanks for that film, Herr Jan. Hadn't seen that one before!

NP, it's a pretty good documentary innit. If you want to see it in actual good quality in 1 piece, check it out here: https://intergalacticfm.com/tv-on-demand.php

'New' unreleased Drexciya track from the upcoming album was just posted btw. Decide for yourself!

i was just trollin yall, im just angry that wavs hasn't sponsored me.

the freeware is 'span'

i use only freeware if i can.

who knows what brand of brush the greatest paintings were made with? the chisel brand name that carved the kings chamber?

<3 drexciya

who knows what brand of brush the greatest paintings were made with? the chisel brand name that carved the kings chamber?

hahaha

Were their painting-philes back in the day? Like snobbish middle aged dudes standing around scoffing at grounding abstract and impressionist art and talking about how great their reissued 5.1 remaster of some Baroque painting looks great in their tube frame.

If Black Sea is on there, I'll buy five copies. And then play them at the same time.

We've got a deal! Tracklist & previews up now, release date will be december!

https://clone.nl/item29082.html

https://clone.nl/item29083.html

So thrilled about this tracklist, couldn't be better :music:

Archived