IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

When you guys are on tour do you ever get to an unfamiliar venue, look around the place and have any concerns about how good it's gonna be? or do you put all your faith in the organisers to get the right venue? or get pissed off at a venue change at towns you've played in previous years? I saw you in glasgow 2005 and 2008 which were at the Art school (organised by Numbers i think), great venue, and the sound was massive. Then in 2010 at Sub Club, still a great gig, but a much smaller venue, more intimate and more subdued atmosphere (lots of chin strokers there that night / monday night, in comparison to Art School where the crowd can get a bit mental down the front {chanting ''one more tune'' i recall, lol}). I guess if i was on tour and had played a couple of gigs in a great venue, and was ready to go back there a coupla years later only to be told ''we're moving you somewhere less epic, you'll have to turn the volume down a bit, it's a monday night'' i'd be a bit pissed off. Any grumbles about that kind of thing?

i way preferred the art school gigs but that stuff's beyond our control really

it's as much in the interests of a promoter to put on a decent night as it is ours

the monday night thing was just cos of us being on tour, we have to play somewhere on monday, glasgow got the short straw that time soz

I actually turned up late to that sub club gig thinking u guys were playing later, as you never usually started at the art school before midnight. Walked in about 11.40 and went to get a drink at the bar, my mate was like ''i think thats ae started already'' i was like ''no way, thats Rob Hall, ae don't start till after midnight''. my mates like ''i think thats them on just now''. I pushed my way through the darkness to find it was indeed ae mixin it up there. I'm still annoyed i missed that lovely screechy track at the start. Anyway, went back to the bar finished my drink and then went and enjoyed the rest of the gig.

It was only during Rob Hall's set i pondered ''Why the hell was Sean wearing, Rob's Planet 69 T-shirt?''

Lifeforms or Dead Cities?

hahah we had that,

lifeforms for cascade, cerebral, vit, room208, e burn

dead cities for the whole second half

why or? when i have both available to me at the fingertip.

whats with false opposites everyone

Edited by Rob Ae

omg, i can't find any good questions but have you heard the yeezus album by kanye west, it sounds like shit at first listens but i think its fun and has a lot of excellent moments, my favorite 2013 release together with exai/l-event *ducks*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3swdCJrrg&feature=player_detailpage

suppose he finds out about autechre and asks you friendly to do a track with, would you do it if you know it's gonna work??

is that a real or simulated spring reverb effect at about 4:25-5:30 on Ipacial Section?

i like the few tracks you've done that seem to have a lot of spring reverby type effects going on, i've forgotten the tiles now though. Edited by John Ehrlichman

When you guys are on tour do you ever get to an unfamiliar venue, look around the place and have any concerns about how good it's gonna be? or do you put all your faith in the organisers to get the right venue? or get pissed off at a venue change at towns you've played in previous years? I saw you in glasgow 2005 and 2008 which were at the Art school (organised by Numbers i think), great venue, and the sound was massive. Then in 2010 at Sub Club, still a great gig, but a much smaller venue, more intimate and more subdued atmosphere (lots of chin strokers there that night / monday night, in comparison to Art School where the crowd can get a bit mental down the front {chanting ''one more tune'' i recall, lol}). I guess if i was on tour and had played a couple of gigs in a great venue, and was ready to go back there a coupla years later only to be told ''we're moving you somewhere less epic, you'll have to turn the volume down a bit, it's a monday night'' i'd be a bit pissed off. Any grumbles about that kind of thing?

i way preferred the art school gigs but that stuff's beyond our control really

it's as much in the interests of a promoter to put on a decent night as it is ours

the monday night thing was just cos of us being on tour, we have to play somewhere on monday, glasgow got the short straw that time soz

I actually turned up late to that sub club gig thinking u guys were playing later, as you never usually started at the art school before midnight. Walked in about 11.40 and went to get a drink at the bar, my mate was like ''i think thats ae started already'' i was like ''no way, thats Rob Hall, ae don't start till after midnight''. my mates like ''i think thats them on just now''. I pushed my way through the darkness to find it was indeed ae mixin it up there. I'm still annoyed i missed that lovely screechy track at the start. Anyway, went back to the bar finished my drink and then went and enjoyed the rest of the gig.

It was only during Rob Hall's set i pondered ''Why the hell was Sean wearing, Rob's Planet 69 T-shirt?''

ha we both got given them shirts when we were in the d in 96 or 97 whenever it was

i still got mine

is that a real or simulated spring reverb effect at about 4:25 on Ipacial Section?

i like the few tracks you've done that seem to have a lot of spring reverby type effects going on, i've forgotten the tiles now though.

it's real, analogue systems eurorack one

What is the most Autechrean planet?

saturn

ah

jupiter

Jupiter has io, that has to count for something

and europa

altho that's not ours

i think this question was asked before by someone else but it has yet to be answered: what do you think of gerald donald's 'scientific' solo work (after the passing of james stinson)? and what's your fav drexciya album?

:emotawesomepm9: maybe you can refresh my memory of what other track I'm talking about. I feel like it was one of the quadrange tracks.. maybe but it felt like the entire reverb bed was spring (not just quick sections) and it sounded really nice.

omg, i can't find any good questions but have you heard the yeezus album by kanye west, it sounds like shit at first listens but i think its fun and has a lot of excellent moments, my favorite 2013 release together with exai/l-event *ducks*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT3swdCJrrg&feature=player_detailpage

suppose he finds out about autechre and asks you friendly to do a track with, would you do it if you know it's gonna work??

well, i'd probably imagine its a nice thought, i mean money too, but its like , wouldn't we be just become some minions?

if it was proper collab, id be happier. really dunno his methods from the clips i see.

:emotawesomepm9: maybe you can refresh my memory of what other track I'm talking about. I feel like it was one of the quadrange tracks.. maybe but it felt like the entire reverb bed was spring (not just quick sections) and it sounded really nice.

the beginning of bnc castle, maybe? that might be a diff box actually, we had a beige one i can't rem the manufacturer tho, right noisy fucker, think robs got it now

ok cant find my old question on here but was wondering if u guys ever upgraded to a pacarana or still messing with kyma language ??> :)

nah i gave my capybara to bola

where is he btw?

Guest jasondonervan

Favourite scene/artist in Style Wars?

fave artist case 2

fave scene prob the one where cap i going 'more' just cos he's so mental not cos he was ever good at anything

Awww yeah...

style_wars-3.jpg

NEVER FORGIVE ACTION

when i listen to your music i often feel intense inspiration, like this burst of freedom and desire to make music and like anything is possible, but at the same time i also will often feel completely humbled, like i could never be that good, and like ae is just on some other fantastic level.

are there any records that make you guys feel this way? like, something that completely inspires you and connects you with your love of music but at the same time makes you feel like it's way ahead of you?

this

i think this question was asked before by someone else but it has yet to be answered: what do you think of gerald donald's 'scientific' solo work (after the passing of james stinson)? and what's your fav drexciya album?

big fan, before n after james, dopplereffekt yes.

neptunes lair today,

grava4 is also dope

only heard bits, sounded alright, bit clean maybe

need to hear more tho i can't really comment on like 2 tracks randomly

Fuuu, finally caught up with this thread again.

Given that Quaristice Special Edition was limited to 1000 copies, do you guys get peeved that pretty much everyone has a ripped digital copy?

BTW, this thread should be watmm's most IDM 2014. Jus' sayin

I always thought this newer (but pre exai) track of yours Tsa1 was very interesting, one thing i wanted to ask about it was are you guys using an analog drum box on it like a 909 or some kind of xbase? It's interesting to hear anything resembling a 909 because we'd hear 808 type kits in your older music often, but never a blatant or evident 909. Was this a conscious decision or did it just happen randomly?