IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

which artists / abstract paint do u enjoy?

quick, name 3 films u've enjoyed in the theater within the past 10 years

for driving, which musics pop to mind as being ideal when operating the motor vehicles?

what do u think of this trac?

[youtubehd]WJfau0Z2ZhM[/youtubehd]

what about this trac?

[youtubehd]Ygc4RAtByYU[/youtubehd]

Piezo is excellent for being a driver to IMO, keep to long drives/freeway/autobahns, ideally those that have lighting and arent too straight.

Edit: Deploy a favourite Erik Satie on arrival at new destinations.

ahh, yes

Whisky: Maker's Mark is a classic American whisky, Jameson is a good Irish go-to.

What was the resonant structure referenced in Extended Ambience Sample from a Resonant Structure?

if a man came to u and asked u to fix him 2 sandwiches made of rotted mushrooms, soggy newspapers and peely caulk, would u attempt to suggest an alternative or would u fulfill the request?

if plants could communicate with human language, what plant would u prefer to talk to first?

how many fingers am i holding up?

name something u consider strange about yourself

hypothetically, if u were to choose an alternate record label to release musics, which would u choose? it can be past, present or future

if u take a moment to think, what would u consider to be yr most precious belonging (gollum)

i would not make the man a sandwich at all

i would talk to oak trees. they just look friendly

i dunno what I'm doing

mego

laptop

we don't use midi we made a better protocol. midi is stone age really

could you elaborate on that? what did you improve exactly?

baud rate, resolution, the type of messages

it's not really a good way to ask the question tbh cos it wasn't designed as an improvement to midi, it's a different kind of protocol

but it makes midi redundant apart from for talking to old gear

last two times you played berlin at berghain had absolutely terrible sound unfortunately... you could virtually hear nothing but the bass, really annoying crowd there too. and way too much light.

that's not a question though - so: maybe next time you come around you could choose another venue pls?

yeah ok

Yeah, they actually have a pretty neat sound system. But they just push everything to the limits so it's all over the place. And moreover, the audience is not there for the artists but for being at Berghain. Just a trendy (even if cool), tourist location. Quite a pity because the venue itself is great.

Sean - what were/are your favourite machines on the Elektron Machinedrum and MonoMachine?

And with all the gear naming going on, could you please name my MD and MnM?

either the fm ones or the physmod ones

can't even rem the names now it's been so long

your machinedrum is now called wolfgang

your monomachine is now called john

What would you put on a pizza?

Much love and respect and love :cheers:

What would you think about coming to Memphis and/or other southern delta states?....loads of nature and moonshine :)

Was AE ever requested for a Red Bull Music Academy lecture? If not, would you consider it?

prob not

those things always seem weird

esp when the artist plays a track and everyone sits there nodding earnestly, it's like those acting masterclass videos but worse cos of the weird tension

Guest burnibus

For whisky have you tried the auchentoshan 3 wood. Its like the complex peaty deep version. More expensive but ace.

I also recommend ardmore for a strong full flavoured cheaper whisky.

Old pulteney is really tasty for decent prices and my favourite reasonably priced is glenkinchy 12 yr old. Starrs getting pricey after that.

Oh and coal isla 18 yr old is heaven but maybe around 60 quid.

Btw your work is ace and yjyux reachex jnto my heart deeply and pulled out a wave of emotion. Thanks for that.

The strangest thing I have ever encountered during one of your pitch-dark shows was that I bumped into a guy wearing a hotdog costume.

Are there any strange/weird/interesting/fun events/encounters that happened during one of your shows that you are willing to share, or was my encounter as crazy as it ever got?

Yesterdays unanswered question that I'm trying to push again. Shamelessly.

edit: ok, with a little shame.

Edited by triachus

The strangest thing I have ever encountered during one of your pitch-dark shows was that I bumped into a guy wearing a hotdog costume.

Are there any strange/weird/interesting/fun events/encounters that happened during one of your shows that you are willing to share, or was my encounter as crazy as it ever got?

Yesterdays unanswered question that I'm trying to push again. Shamelessly.

edit: ok, with a little shame.

sean pls

Hi Sean and Rob. Love you music, thanks for doing this, etc.

1. Oversteps really jumped out at me as having to do with counterpoint, the interplay between multiple voices talking to each other. I noticed this particularly in O=0 and redfall.

Is this something that you intended? Is this something you noticed?

2. Is Pro Radii based around samples of a sporting event? If so, what kind of sport. Basketball?

yeah oversteps was programmed that way

yeah sports

not basketball tho, wrong continent

What do you mean by 'programmed that way'? Were the voices programmed to directly influence each other in a generative type of way? Were they programmed independently, but in such a way to compliment each other?

I guessed basketball because it sounds indoor on a hard floor. My first guess what tennis, but the space sounds wrong for that. Squash or racquetball?

I'm also going to throw it out there Cus it's in style right now, that it'd be nice to give my Electribe EA-1 synth, which I bought from a nice gentleman named Tony off Craigslist a few years back (gotta give that shout out man), a name:)

Edit: and my Nintendo:))

Edited by soma

last two times you played berlin at berghain had absolutely terrible sound unfortunately... you could virtually hear nothing but the bass, really annoying crowd there too. and way too much light.

that's not a question though - so: maybe next time you come around you could choose another venue pls?

yeah ok

Yeah, they actually have a pretty neat sound system. But they just push everything to the limits so it's all over the place. And moreover, the audience is not there for the artists but for being at Berghain. Just a trendy (even if cool), tourist location. Quite a pity because the venue itself is great.

When we arrived there were like four F1 towers in the front corners but the other two were in rear corners if u could draw an imaginary rectangle halfway into the length of the huge tall glass faceted room, pointing in at phase nightmare angles, it came across as far from ideal. But i like playing berlin so, well yeah.

Np, sorry for all these edits, my browsers being a dick

1. Oversteps really jumped out at me as having to do with counterpoint, the interplay between multiple voices talking to each other. I noticed this particularly in O=0 and redfall.

2. Is Pro Radii based around samples of a sporting event? If so, what kind of sport. Basketball?

yeah sports

What do you mean by 'programmed that way'? Were the voices programmed to directly influence each other in a generative type of way? Were they programmed independently, but in such a way to compliment each other?

I guessed basketball because it sounds indoor on a hard floor. My first guess what tennis, but the space sounds wrong for that. Squash or racquetball?

Nah there are no floor sounds in there. Edited by Rob Ae

yeah sports

yeah the voices were independent but communicating

it's just conditionals really nothing too fancy

nah

i got no idea, i never owned one

but i take it as a compliment cos it means you're hearing some of our dsp progging as analogue (which was the intention)

interesting, because Exai has a distinctly more 'analog' sound, if it's mostly digital you guys did a great job of making it sound the opposite, at least all the synth work. Are there soft-synths you guys have an affinity for? I've noticed you mention FM7 a few times, how about some of the newer ones like Madrona Labs Aalto?

Also thanks for the confirmation on the Autechre patch, there are an army of cycling74 employees trying to claim it's not a real patch or as some would say a 'hoax'. The patch made me realize just the lengths you guys go to get that perfect timbre. No matter how many times or different ways I've tried drum stuttering/rapid fire sounds, they never have that pleasurable timbre quality you guys mastered so well during the Draft/Confield era.

Do you guys enjoy any of the other artists on Isolate Records besides Vsnares and OST/Dalglish, specifically Nommo Ogo or Tomoroh Hidari?

And what's your favorite album or work by Mick Harris aka Scorn?

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Favorite Islay scotch?

Also, tac Lacora is amazing, my favorite autechre track in like 10 years!

dunno i only recently started on whisky

recc me some

Ardbeg Uigeadail. Even the standard Ardbeg 10yo is delicious.

Whiskys from the island of Islay are smokey and salty, be prepared for something different. Not for strawberry vodka fans.