IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

How do you organize yourself to be able to come back to an unfinished track when it relies on a complex setup, a mix of softwares, hardware and specific routing. Do you write notes ?
Did you ever considering using Ableton - Live and Max for Live for you gigs.
Also I would like to tell you thanks for such amazing music! Sometimes I 'am so in your music than I lost interest for any other music artists.
I really hope there will be a exai tour! See you in Paris!

yeah usually we record it as soon as we can, but if we might need to change something analogue later and there's no patch storage, as a kind of last resort we'll make notes

we use max on its own cos ableton is like bolting on a load of functions we don't need tbh

i mean it's good for certain kinds of stuff but we have what we need already

You're one of Warp's top acts and they can't give you a little bit of freedom?

they pay us for it, and it wasn't too important at the time we negotiated it

Do you feel it is a bit more important at this time? Meaning, do you feel the urge/need/itch/yearning/lust/hunger/want for a bit more freedom?

is there any audio available from the last gig at DOUR festival belgium, it was amazing and i was stoned like helll while people in front of me were puking out their drugs, it was with VxSx and otto von schirach i would like to hear that again

no idea, we never heard anything

The recording was posted here a way while back. I can send it to you guys (autechre) if you want.

cheers yeah pm me

I don't have any musical equipment, can you name my toaster?

I don't have any musical equipment, can you name my toaster?

roxy ?

Re: corn, i couldnt resist.

Do you ever analyze the rhythmic, melodic, harmonic, structural or timbral aspects of other music?

What place does tradition have in your music?

If you were stuck with nothing but a 909, a 303 and a 101 could you make music you'd be happy with?

What did you guys do at the Stormy Waters performance, just provide some tracks? It didn't really seem like too much room for live performance with all that choreography.

Edited by Transferrin

Actualy I got a decent question,

What do you think about Streetsounds Electro Compilations? Were they really important to you? I'm pretty sure these compilations were key to your early days and getting you into music? I remember an older friend of mine playing me Knights of the Turntables, off....Electro 5....I think, just checked, and yes it was number 5 (Techno Scratch). That moment changed my life (I was about 11 years old). I'd never heard music like that before, though elementry it seemed beamed in from another planet. Like your music seems beamed in from another planet.

Edited by beerwolf

Guest konxompax

hey guys... just out of interest what hardcore labels are you favs?

r&s, radioactive lamb, kickin', jumpin' & pumpin', moving shadow

cheers dude!

Is music your full time job or do you have to do something on the side to stay afloat?

that was answered about 4-5 pages back I think.

Thanks man, i admittedly haven't read the whole thread but will definitely be going through it all once it's over

Hi Sean and Rob. Love you music, thanks for doing this, etc.

1. Oversteps really jumped out at me as having to do with counterpoint, the interplay between multiple voices talking to each other. I noticed this particularly in O=0 and redfall.

Is this something that you intended? Is this something you noticed?

2. Is Pro Radii based around samples of a sporting event? If so, what kind of sport. Basketball?

yeah oversteps was programmed that way

yeah sports

not basketball tho, wrong continent

yeah sometimes i work with next to no sleep

rae was made in that kind of warm fuzzy state

So much love for that track.

Any others really put you back in a particular place or mental state?

Thanks for doing this.

PS: if you keep releasing shirts with enigmatic square patterns I'ma buy them all.

Does it bother you that for the most part creating electronic music and putting on shows is not environmentally friendly? I guess in your case it is more so, because you have tendency to turn off the lights. Did this factor play a role in your decision to experiment with a low light atmosphere?

I appreciate this aspect of your performance. It seems so often that people decide to throw a random video on screen to entertain their audience. More specifically solo electronic artists tend to do this. I believe this is what Squarepusher was attempting to overcome with his Ufabulum project/tour. (as he sort of stated in an interview)

What do you think is the next step in the evolution of electronic music performances? Do you think Squarepusher did a good job of challenging this boundary between artist and presentation?

are you sending CV/ Gate out of your computers to external synths with these new computer cv boxes like expert sleepers? or is it Midi or native computer synthesis on the computer in your last couple releases?

we have a motu interface that can send cv but most of my stuff's internal

we don't use midi we made a better protocol. midi is stone age really

Will it be published for free or commercialy in the future or is it already available somewhere? How does old hardware recognize this better protocol? Does it behave significantly better when syncing software (DAW, or MAX) with external hardware?

nah we're only using it with our own stuff. it's incompatible with anything external, if we need midi we have to convert and we use sysex to do that usually, it works well enough

i'm not using any midi gear atm at all, rob still uses a bit but not much these days

An old interview mentioned you had some ideas for instruments or hardware that hadn't been invented yet, but hoped might come along someday. Have your feelings changed on that?

Has there ever been one new piece of equipment that really expanded or changed how you work?

Still using Nord's?

Your music has brought me great happiness and inspired me to do interesting things. Thank you for doing all of this. And for the great show in Phoenix several years ago!

rob is a bit

i have a g2 here but i've not used it at all, it's just there to run his stuff

we used them pretty heavily on the oversteps tour (basically every sound was nord)

are you a fan of outdoor actives like trekking? (considering you preference for northface clothing)

nah i just wear that stuff cos i like the build on it, lasts forever and works well