IGNORED

Black Narcissus - Varla

cear

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt really feeling this at first when i listened to the d/l, but i just got the vinyl today and blasted them out, excellent stuff, punishing rhythms and ominous detuned mono lines ala the early drexciya e.p.s. its quite a bit more clubby and less subtle than the stuff on the EDM comps and the signals ep and maybe not what i was expecting but its still a great record.

Wish JK'd have given the tracks titles tho, lots of scope for Russ Meyer references but i guess he's trying to keep it all anonymous and mysterious like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A more simplistic affair it seems, this sounds more like leftovers or tracks that weren't produced with a maniacal attention to details. I like the ambient stuff that some people posted on here, perhaps even more than the album itself. On the other hand, the darker, black and white aesthetics of Black Narcissus is very appealing to me. There is potential to the project but for now, I find it hard to call this a stylistic accomplishment. Something seems to be missing. Just my two cents.

Something seems to be missing. Just my two cents.

I think that it quite simply lacks good, actual ideas that constitute MUSIC. This ends up being just a stylistic exercise.

It's sort of full on an has as a certain energetic and nasty vibe, but the whole thing gets old pretty fast. Doesn't help that it's practically the same palette on all the tracks. Still, he seems to be trying a bit harder to do his own thing here (ie it's not an obvious Photodementia bite).

Yeah, I really dig this so far. Sounds like it would be nice out in the middle of a field during the day with a spliff or two on some big speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just listened to this for the first time, it's hilariously bad. crappy meaningless melodies, shitty photodementiaish basslines and "weird sounds".

listen to early drexciya instead.

just listened to this for the first time, it's hilariously bad. crappy meaningless melodies, shitty photodementiaish basslines and "weird sounds".

Agreed. Everything I've ever heard of Jodey Kendrick has been generic, banal, and mediocre. Talk about overrated.

I respect your right not to like things, but please son...

Just because something isn't tied up into a tight ball like SP, AT, or whoever else you want to references doesn't mean the compositions aren't interesting.

I actually find the style he/they utilize in composing tracks with experimental structures very refreshing. They sit in a nice balance between being over composed and lacking structure entirely. Plus Jodey knows how to design some really nice patches.

But carry on with your shit opinion by all means...

Agreed. Everything I've ever heard of Jodey Kendrick has been generic, banal, and mediocre. Talk about overrated.

I respect your right not to like things, but please son...

Just because something isn't tied up into a tight ball like SP, AT, or whoever else you want to references doesn't mean the compositions aren't interesting.

I actually find the style he/they utilize in composing tracks with experimental structures very refreshing. They sit in a nice balance between being over composed and lacking structure entirely. Plus Jodey knows how to design some really nice patches.

But carry on with your shit opinion by all means...

I'm glad you are so easily pleased.

i find his works for EDM compilations etc amazing and mental. he is really talented guy (even without AFX's spectral CDP/Metasynth bursts).

but i'm not a fan of drexciyan electro at all. fed up with it long time ago already. still love touching bass, miami stuff, gothenburg electro, 90s hague stuff, some mad electrofunk from tracker scene

Archived