*would be honestly surprised if no one has shopped an alien of some sort in there yet.

GIF is fucking awesome tho Joyrex thanks. 

I know - it's how I always imagined imagery from another world to look like (instead we get blurry pictures of clouds, although the landing on Titan was pretty neat:

https://weather.com/science/space/news/2018-04-04-milky-way-galaxy-supermassive-black-holes-gravity

Scientists discovered that there are hundreds to thousands of black holes at the center of our milky way galaxy. Apparently when a black hole forms and starts to swirl around the galaxy, they have gravitational friction pull these monsters into the center and they're all moving around in there at insane speeds and rotations. I can't even imagine what it would be like in the center if you were to fly a ship through.. time and space would be insane.

*would be honestly surprised if no one has shopped an alien of some sort in there yet.

GIF is fucking awesome tho Joyrex thanks. 

I know - it's how I always imagined imagery from another world to look like (instead we get blurry pictures of clouds, although the landing on Titan was pretty neat:

Supposedly if Titan weren't already a satellite orbiting a larger planet and were rotating around the sun independently, it would easily be classified as a planet on its own. I also heard that it could be oil-rich. But obviously I don't see us doing any mining there any time soon, certainly not directly by human hands.

Well, not oil rich in the fossil fuel sense. But according to data from the Cassini spacecraft mission there in 2008, there's liquid methane all over. And supposedly the rain in Titan's atmosphere is rich in hydrocarbons as well. But this article can explain it all better than I can: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20080213.html

• 3 weeks later...

NASA FINDS PLUME OF WATER COMING FROM JUPITER'S MOON EUROPA, SUGGESTING IT COULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO FIND ALIEN LIFE

i'm gonna come out and say something really dumb probably, but why do scientists insist in the idea that water is vital to the existence of life? couldn't an alien form fundamental element be another thing besides h2o?

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

ok so, i should have read this first...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the universe

Band 5 ALMA receiver is an instrument specifically designed to detect water in the universe.[77]

Much of the universe's water is produced as a byproduct of star formation. The formation of stars is accompanied by a strong outward wind of gas and dust. When this outflow of material eventually impacts the surrounding gas, the shock waves that are created compress and heat the gas. The water observed is quickly produced in this warm dense gas.[78]

On 22 July 2011, a report described the discovery of a gigantic cloud of water vapor containing "140 trillion times more water than all of Earth's oceans combined" around a quasar located 12 billion light years from Earth. According to the researchers, the "discovery shows that water has been prevalent in the universe for nearly its entire existence".[79][80]

Water has been detected in interstellar clouds within our galaxy, the Milky Way.[81] Water probably exists in abundance in other galaxies, too, because its components, hydrogen and oxygen, are among the most abundant elements in the universe. Based on models of the formation and evolution of the Solar System and that of other star systems, most other planetary systems are likely to have similar ingredients

Edited by THIS IS MICHAEL JACKSON

NASA FINDS PLUME OF WATER COMING FROM JUPITER'S MOON EUROPA, SUGGESTING IT COULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO FIND ALIEN LIFE

i'm gonna come out and say something really dumb probably, but why do scientists insist in the idea that water is vital to the existence of life? couldn't an alien form fundamental element be another thing besides h2o?

i believe the idea has always been to find life as we know it. as far as we know. there's an episode of cosmos where carl sagan hypoethsies that jupiter (since it's a gas giant) could have alien life which basically looks like jellyfish that survives solely on hydrogen and helium- but we don't know of any life like that so assumption it exists is less accurate than the assumption it doesn't. what we do know exists is a carbon based lifeform that requires water to exist so at least we can start there. besides- most planets seem to resemble ours (minus the water and distance from our parent star)

also, rising sea levels may be caused by rocks

A member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology evinced skepticism about climate change during an exchange with a witness about rising sea levels.

Instead, Alabama Republican Rep. Mo Brooks offered an additional culprit: soil or rock deposits into the world's waters.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/mo-brooks-nasa-climate-change/index.html

^lolz

Also NASA is naming one of two possible missions to Europa after an Autechre song so that's cool!

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/nasa-asks-for-europa-lander-science-experiments-and-thats-a-big-deal/

The lander mission has always seemed more tenuous, partly because it represents such a breathtaking challenge to land on an icy moon so far away—a nightmare glacier that is irradiated by nearby Jupiter, and where the creaky surface rises and falls. In terms of complexity, the Europa Clipper spacecraft has a mass of about 6 tons, and the lander spacecraft will probably end up with a mass of about 16 tons.

Also NASA is naming one of two possible missions to Europa after an Autechre song so that's cool!

Although I'm probably preaching to the choir, I'm sure it's coincidence.

also, rising sea levels may be caused by rocks

A member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology evinced skepticism about climate change during an exchange with a witness about rising sea levels.

Instead, Alabama Republican Rep. Mo Brooks offered an additional culprit: soil or rock deposits into the world's waters.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/mo-brooks-nasa-climate-change/index.html

The most disturbing thing about this article was the part about an official U.S. Government Committee actually tweeting this:

A day after the hearing, the committee tweeted a link to an op-ed from The Wall Street Journal denying climate change caused sea-level rise.

Imagine going back and reading this in 20, 40 years from now... future generations will rightly condemn these corrupt fucks for their crimes against humanity.

^yeah Bob Dob I saw that and just shookt my damnt head. 

Although I'm probably preaching to the choir, I'm sure it's coincidence.

Perhaps! I mean Ae did do that track trying to contact aliens so maybe it worked and they found some on Europa and this is NASA's way of saying thanks Sean & Rob??  :emotawesomepm9:

The missions are going to be cool though, even if it's just the Clipper one that goes, close up photos of Europa would be ace. The lander could of course be really interesting as well, but given what they're expecting of it sorta deflates my hopes (saw that only goes 10cm into the ice? 20 day mission?)

Close-ups of Europa's surface would definitely be cool to see.

I also heard that there's a plan to send an unmanned sub to Titan to swim around in the lakes of liquid methane and ethane there. Maybe there's microbial life there with the abundance of hydrocarbons, who knows

Yeah it's definitely been discussed or maybe even considered seriously/initial planning stages? Unsure. Would be v cool, but with funding and all we'll be lucky if that happens any time soon, if in our lifetimes tbh.

missions to the ocean moons around saturn and jupiter are definitely up there on nasa's list. i think they would do an orbiter first, both to scout out landing spots and to assist in communication with the lander. there's a delay of 5 or so years to get something to jupiter or saturn. i think the timetable has to entail 

• allocate orbiter funding
  • orbiter development
  • orbiter flight
  • orbiter study
  • allocate lander funding
  • lander development
  • lander flight

that looks like 20 years, to me, from whenever it's set in motion. maybe they could include a lander with the orbiter, reducing that by half.

the mars stuff is expected to be a joint thing between nasa, space-x, and others. musk may well pull off the mars thing, which would result in increased interest in and funding to nasa. that may happen surprisingly soon (5 years from now).

private entities may get into robotic space probes, as well, in the coming decades. 

so, i wouldn't rule out a lander on an ocean moon "in our lifetime." actually i think it's somewhat likely that, by 2050, there will be a lander on europa, enceladus or titan. even more likely by 2080, assuming there's no catastrophic set-back in civilization caused by shit-head political elements or an asteroid.

Edited by very honest