IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Gotta love victim blaming. Too bad it's always the assholes that get all of the attention these days.

(In regard to Jesse Hughes)

Edited by ambermonk

I still respect the man. But then again I've been listening to him collab with El-P for the last six years. Obviously he rubbed some folks the wrong way with an honest opinion, but I think his heart is still in the right place.

I still respect the man. But then again I've been listening to him collab with El-P for the last six years. Obviously he rubbed some folks the wrong way with an honest opinion, but I think his heart is still in the right place.

My 2 cents on this offhand is that gun ownership is loaded subject with people of color / minorities because in the past they've been barred from owning guns in the greater scheme of repression in the past - the 2nd Amendment is at the core of the original Black Party ethos. Blacks who moved into white neighborhoods in the South in the 60s came in with shotguns to defend their homes. Now in 2017 with a POTUS who essentially washes his hands off racist and fascist movements supporting him, gun ownership among Africa-Americans is going up.

Malcolmxm1carbine3gr.gif

Many of the Hispanic coworkers and friends I know from South Texas are big gun enthusiasts and often cite how they embrace gun ownership as a right when many of their friends and relatives in Mexico find themselves outgunned by corrupt cops and criminals. Something right-wing gun nuts will downplay and liberals will forget to bring up is that Native Americans and other minorities were not just oppressed by gun-toting whites but also legally barred for decades from owning them. Hell, the great irony of the NRA was they kept trying to push for gun regulation through the 60s and 70s because of the Black Panthers in arming themselves and openly carrying rifles in public. They tried to sell it as a race issue in the last throws of mainstream segregation.

I think Killer Mike was getting his point out there, regardless of how the NRA is framing this. I've heard Colion Noir on NPR before in the past and he was actually really reasonable (yet in the intro of the first vid and recent comments are ridiculous though)

This sounds cliche but the interview by itself is seems like a productive conversation, you know because two people from different perspectives are actually talking to each other and not just preaching to the choir. I think his follow up video is totally reasonable. People are getting too fucking picky about what all issues you should be for or against. Killer Mike is outspoken and progressive as fuck and was frustrated that he's expected to double down on his views of gun ownership.

the entire march for our lives thing is inconsequential because it targets assault weapons which make up a tiny fraction of gun deaths in america. most are from handguns and happen to black people and that isn't something people are going to march about. the unspoken truth is that school shootings like parkland are quite rare and mostly a white problem and an issue of privilege and also an easy talking point because the problem is "solvable" by "banning" "assault weapons" which does not affect gun manufacturers in any significant way and also satisfies both political parties. it's an ornamental policy change. 

the entire march for our lives thing is inconsequential because it targets assault weapons which make up a tiny fraction of gun deaths in america. most are from handguns and happen to black people and that isn't something people are going to march about. the unspoken truth is that school shootings like parkland are quite rare and mostly a white problem and an issue of privilege and also an easy talking point because the problem is "solvable" by "banning" "assault weapons" which does not affect gun manufacturers in any significant way and also satisfies both political parties. it's an ornamental policy change. 

i think the march was about more than just assault weapons.  they just want reform. there's been how many mass shootings w/nothing done? just thoughts and prayers and excuses about why gun control won't work so let's try nothing. 

also, every time i heard those kids speak at least one of made sure to mention the disproportionate affect of gun violence on black people.  i think they're all pretty aware of the lay of the land.  but reform could lead to things like a national registry, states actually participating in the gun owner database which would allow the fbi to actually pursue gun crimes in a meaningful way. not to mention closing loopholes for gun shows and straw man purchases which would actually really make a difference in handgun violence.  

saying that millions of kids getting motivated and active in a political way is inconsequential is naive i think. in a year or two they're all going to vote.  they're going to remember this experience.

John Paul Stevens: Repeal the Second Amendment

Rarely in my lifetime have I seen the type of civic engagement schoolchildren and their supporters demonstrated in Washington and other major cities throughout the country this past Saturday. These demonstrations demand our respect. They reveal the broad public support for legislation to minimize the risk of mass killings of schoolchildren and others in our society.

That support is a clear sign to lawmakers to enact legislation prohibiting civilian ownership of semiautomatic weapons, increasing the minimum age to buy a gun from 18 to 21 years old, and establishing more comprehensive background checks on all purchasers of firearms. But the demonstrators should seek more effective and more lasting reform. They should demand a repeal of the Second Amendment.

Concern that a national standing army might pose a threat to the security of the separate states led to the adoption of that amendment, which provides that “a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Today that concern is a relic of the 18th century.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

Edited by whosebrian

This gun stuff blew up at the perfect time to distract the fuck out of everyone. Trump's approval rating is going up and up the more the "debate" goes on and the liberals dig their own grave.