IGNORED

Celebrity Deaths

Herr Jan

Right Stuff is my favorite film of all time and he absolutely dominates in that movie, which is saying a lot considering how many great people are in that movie and how relatively little screen time he has compared to others. Chuch Yeager is a legendary person to have to portray and he carried it off effortlessly.

I never appreciated how much he'd written as well outside of his acting career. He was very prolific playwright and well respected in the off-broadway scenes. Wrote something like 40+ plays.

Right Stuff is my favorite film of all time and he absolutely dominates in that movie, which is saying a lot considering how many great people are in that movie and how relatively little screen time he has compared to others. Chuch Yeager is a legendary person to have to portray and he carried it off effortlessly.

His scenes in that film were my favorite as a kid. When he walks away from that crash all deep fried. Boss.

Used to watch that movie a lot when I was a youngin'. Weird, seeing it not too long ago, I was like how the fuck would I have sat through that as a kid.

His scenes in that film were my favorite as a kid. When he walks away from that crash all deep fried. Boss.

Used to watch that movie a lot when I was a youngin'. Weird, seeing it not too long ago, I was like how the fuck would I have sat through that as a kid.

You're seriously wondering how a kid could sit through a fun and epic movie about test pilots and astronauts? :cisfor:

Yeah I must have gone through several home taped copies of that one myself. I also re-watched it sometime in the last five years or so and still liked it surprisingly well.

You're seriously wondering how a kid could sit through a fun and epic movie about test pilots and astronauts? :cisfor:

Yeah I must have gone through several home taped copies of that one myself. I also re-watched it sometime in the last five years or so and still liked it surprisingly well.

haha. Yea. Not really the most action packed 3+ hour movie ever I would say. But yea, astronauts, pilots and surprise titties...

haha. Yea. Not really the most action packed 3+ hour movie ever I would say. But yea, astronauts, pilots and surprise titties...

I remember watching this on VHS and it was on two tapes. It cuts off right after John Glenn talking to his wife then cuts back in to a montage of the Mercury 7 awkwardly watching test rockets fail spectacularly.

Got it in 1996 or 1997 and one of the first movies I watched alone. 183 minutes. DVD I bought much later has some decent features. WIRED did a great write-up on it a few years ago. Same folks who did all the excellent model shots also did the combat scenes in Top Gun. Also found out about Jordan Belson, who did all the non-CGI visuals during the scene when Yeager breaks the sound barrier. 

Edited by joshuatx

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprisingly sad to hear about dear old Brucie:

bruce-forsyth-pic-bbc-64587314.jpg

As well as being a fixture on the parents' television throughout my teenage years, he was also one of the last links to a world of entertainment that is now pretty much gone, namely early postwar UK television, which in itself was still quite heavily indebted to a music hall/variety culture that hadn't changed overmuch since the Victorian era (check out JB Priestley's Lost Empires or The Good Companions for fictional examples). That era (imo) seems way more distant to us in the age of Netflix than the actual music-hall stuff must have done to the people working in early TV.

(Possibly completely wrong/hyperbolic because stoned but oh well)

Also he seemed to steer clear of the Operation Yewtree unpleasantness that so many entertainers of his period seemed to get involved with, which is always a mark in someone's favour.

RIP Brucie

Also he seemed to steer clear of the Operation Yewtree unpleasantness that so many entertainers of his period seemed to get involved with, which is always a mark in someone's favour.

tbh I'm already wondering if anything will come out posthumously like Saville

:catcry:

lewis1.jpg

"A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world." - Jerry Lewis 

"A woman doing comedy doesn't offend me but sets me back a bit. I, as a viewer, have trouble with it. I think of her as a producing machine that brings babies in the world." - Jerry Lewis 

Holy shit, stop the presses!! An old guy born in the 20s says something ignorant and misogynistic! What a shock, I wonder if he was a racist as well?? 

Holy shit, stop the presses!! An old guy born in the 20s says something ignorant and misogynistic! What a shock, I wonder if he was a racist as well?? 

I literally was not aware of that quote until now. It's sort of dumb, sorta funny, mostly baffling. Completely harmless. It's pretty much like his comedy style in a nutshell.

He's a fascinating pop culture figure - I never realised he really was revered in France as an auteur director/comedian. He was last of many Rat Pack peers and one of the last of the postwar entertainment era. I have great memories of watching his old movies on TV - some good (I liked The Family Jewels the most), some bad - always silly stuff but often genuinely funny when you're a kid. 

Many like myself are wondering if this means The Day the Clown Cried will indeed get released in full (much of it has come out recently in bits). There's a great BBC doc that discusses the film - infamously absurdly bizarre and misguided film about a clown and the Holocaust.