IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Cheetah EP

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever you read people bitching music while the artists are actually active in the thread itself, you know you've entered the thread of the week! :woot:

The cheater ep is 'quite good'. :-P

the track is an average analord level track which to me is good enough

but i see no point in using the shity synth cause he could do the track with reason 2.5 or with other analogue synths that he used on analord or syro, so it must be about something else, right? i mean he even named the ep so that everybody in the known universe know that he used the synth.

i must conclude that he name the ep the way he did just to brag about how he can make an ep with one of the most user-UN-friendly synths in the history of modern music making. i like you afx but fak off afx! ...you and your shits.

I don't think he's been anything other than mediocre since Drukqs.

cEg1MYS.jpg

For what it's worth, the level of complexity and detail in Drukqs is mind blowing. He could do more of the same (which gets pretty boring for a lot of artists) or change styles. I like SYRO a lot, because it fuses bits of the complexity of Drukqs with the accessibility of The Tuss (all of the melodic layers). There's a progression that's happened that feels natural.

I honestly didn't care much for Analord, except for "Fenix Funk 5" and a few other tracks.

Anyway, I'll definitely get the Cheetah EP and probably enjoy the hell out of it.

Also heard the BBC stream yesterday. I dunno. It's sort of pleasant from the angle of coaxing sounds from some obscure, difficult to program 90s synth module but I just had to keep reminding myself I was listening to Aphex Twin. Nothing really grabbed my attention apart from the last minute of Cirklon3. I think my musical tastes have changed over the decades.

If you wish to experiment and create some sounds of your own, first try editing some sounds we've already made for you, before attempting to create a patch from scratch.

[...]

Have fun programming, and if you create any superb patches and tones which you feel deserve to be appreciated by other Cheetah EP buyers, send a MIDI System Exclusive Dump of them, on a disc to us at WARP and if we also think they are superb, you could be rewarded for your efforts. Try us!

I'm slow but... is there a remix contest? Either way this reads like someone wants to encourage using the EP as a Cheetah sample pack of sorts.

If you wish to experiment and create some sounds of your own, first try editing some sounds we've already made for you, before attempting to create a patch from scratch.

[...]

Have fun programming, and if you create any superb patches and tones which you feel deserve to be appreciated by other Cheetah EP buyers, send a MIDI System Exclusive Dump of them, on a disc to us at WARP and if we also think they are superb, you could be rewarded for your efforts. Try us!

I'm slow but... is there a remix contest? Either way this reads like someone wants to encourage using the EP as a Cheetah sample pack of sorts.

That's what it sounds like, not sure if it's legit or half a joke or what...

i'm very happy with this ep, as cheetaht7teac was my favourite track from the sc dump and is prominently featured on this release.

also, i like the other tracks, some nice acid-y quirkyness.

i'm having way more fun with this than with CCAI2 or the MARCHROMT EP.

i think others upthread have already said it, but for me all Aphex pre-millenium was top of the game batshit awesome. since then..diminishing returns. i thought the 'computer controlled..' ep was great, syro had its moments but the cheetah ep sounds a bit boring and samey to me. the dry production and overuse of tired 909 drums doesn't help. for me his best stuff was when you couldn't even tell what drum machine he was using..saturated in reverb, tape hiss, etc.

i will never stop being a fan and will always check his stuff out and always hoping he will blow my mind all over again. maybe it will happen.

and whoever said rdj is shit because he is 'old' needs a slap. age has nothing to do with it. some artists don't even hit their full potential till they are middle aged.

i think others upthread have already said it, but for me all Aphex pre-millenium was top of the game batshit awesome. since then..diminishing returns. i thought the 'computer controlled..' ep was great, syro had its moments but the cheetah ep sounds a bit boring and samey to me. the dry production and overuse of tired 909 drums doesn't help. for me his best stuff was when you couldn't even tell what drum machine he was using..saturated in reverb, tape hiss, etc.

i will never stop being a fan and will always check his stuff out and always hoping he will blow my mind all over again. maybe it will happen.

and whoever said rdj is shit because he is 'old' needs a slap. age has nothing to do with it. some artists don't even hit their full potential till they are middle aged.

you must not like a lot of electronic music then

Archived