IGNORED

Mike & Rich album turned 20 years old [Planet Mu Reissue]

FilziSH

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Giant Deflating Football is the only track that's had no praise in this thread....until now. I always think of that track when remembering the album, it sums it up nicely. Makes you laugh a bit, but like you're laughing at something you shouldn't, something dark, like a one legged man falling down stairs.

EKT was one of many albums I got from some cheap CD stall in the middle of Cardiff market on a whim. I miss the days of picking up things you've vaguely heard of, buying them cos they're cheap and finding out they are brilliant, I've gotten too used to waiting for the next big hyped release.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but am I the only one who just thinks this album is OK? I much prefer solo works by both of them.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but am I the only one who just thinks this album is OK? I much prefer solo works by both of them.

No.

UP

0007929404_100.png

SEVEN UNRELEASED BONUS TRACKS ON ALL FORMATS & ONE DIGITAL EXCLUSIVE WHEN YOU BUY AT THE PLANET MU STORE OR PLANET MU BANDCAMP.

https://planetmu.bleepstores.com/release/74321-mike-rich-expert-knob-twiddlers

https://mikeandrich.bandcamp.com/album/expert-knob-twiddlers

Edited by triachus

shit... got over excited for a moment there.

until I saw the dreaded 'pre-order'.

surely the whole point of these individual bleepstores is to get the music out quicker than with traditional methods? ok, this one includes a vinyl release as well, but do we really need a two month buildup for this? just wait until the stock is ready to go and then announce it a couple of weeks before-hand. in today's over saturated music marketplace these long buildups are likely counter productive in terms of sales as well.

Guest bitroast

releases September 2, 2016

https://soundcloud.com/mikep/11-vodka-mix-2

A collaboration between Aphex Twin (Richard D. James) and µ–Ziq (Mike Paradinas), Mike & Rich - ’Expert Knob Twiddlers’ was made back in 1994. Richard edited the tracks into shape later in 1996 with his new Apple Mac computer and it was released later that year on Rephlex, the label he co-owned and which released the first two albums by µ-Ziq.

This new reissued version has been carefully cleaned up, re-edited and remastered from the original DAT tapes, put into a more fitting order and, more excitingly, seven new bonus tracks and alternative versions have also been added.

The album was recorded over a few days during the 1994 World Cup, back when Richard lived in a big shared flat in Stoke Newington. Richard had tried to collaborate with a few other likeminded artists but something clicked when Mike and Rich worked together and the sessions have a unique feel; playful and at times actually drunk. These are fun experiments in the spirit of lighthearted moog pop and ripe 70s British TV themes, standing out from the po-faced electronica of the time with a garish glee.

The record was made on what is now seen as pretty primitive gear - an Atari, Roland MKS-80, Memorymoog, Roland R8 and a handful of samples on a Casio FZ-10M - but it’s to their credit that it resonates well with the hardware workouts coming out today. There's a broadminded but sloppy funk to the record, even whistling, singing and harpsichord in 'Reg' and wonky beat pile-ons in 'Jelly Fish'. There's latin piano and wheezy drunken techno in ‘Vodka’, or the sleepy spaced out ambience of ‘Bu Bu Bu Ba' with its barely contained laughter which seems to reflect the absurdity.

The new versions and bonus tracks are an absolute delight and well worth the purchase - from a trancier version of ‘Vodka' to the wonky bounce of ‘Portamento Gosh', The 3/4 dub of 'Waltz,' the banging door bass of' Brivert and Muonds', the creepy seasick atmosphere of 'Clissold Bathroom' and finishing with the strangely graceful and serious 'Organ Plodder'. A generous and welcome return to the racks.

yeah. just got an email this morning about he new clark bleepstore opening. another new account to create and manage! yay! why on earth can't they just share login credentials across bleepstores? until they rectify that i'm not purchasing anything other than bleep direct/bandcamp

excited about this. i remember getting this along with homogenic when i was in highschool and listening to both all the time. a classic indeed

So all the preorders etc are calling it Expert Knob Twiddlers not Mike and Rich, finally some resolution on the official title.

Pre-ordered the blue vinyl on the bleepstore, though I kinda wish I'd done it on bandcamp to add EKT to my streaming app. Such is life!

are you sure it's the blue vinyl?

Pre-ordered the blue vinyl on the bleepstore, though I kinda wish I'd done it on bandcamp to add EKT to my streaming app. Such is life!

are you sure it's the blue vinyl?

i see it now, weird ass computer only loading what it wants.