IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

53 minutes ago, cern said:

Maybe someone know a brutal FM-vst for a cheap price? 

the main guy that designed the Digitone brains, Ess, has a software company now making VSTs for Ableton. the company is called Fors…i’ve never used any of their stuff, but heard some great sounds out of them (not all are brutal FM of course) & seen lots of praise but some of that praise is definitely fanboy type shit so 🤷‍♂️

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

the main guy that designed the Digitone brains, Ess, has a software company now making VSTs for Ableton. the company is called Fors…i’ve never used any of their stuff, but heard some great sounds out of them (not all are brutal FM of course) & seen lots of praise but some of that praise is definitely fanboy type shit so 🤷‍♂️

They have a FM-Synth there I just bought, that combine with the Operator in Ableton should be enough for killing the Digitone Gas I think 🙂

• Thanks 1

For anyone using or interested in the Blokas Midihub, it just got a huge firmware update that's still in Beta. The S&H for the LFO sounds nuts, just as I thought I'd wrapped my head around it they come out with this :wacko::biggrin:

Changes here from their backstage community:

Spoiler

Major Additions

For complete list of changes see the Detailed Changelog section below.

Virtual Mappings and Mapping Editing

Virtual output ports can now be used for virtual mappings, allowing for internal control over pipe’s parameters, without a physical loopback! MIDI mappings can also now be entered and editing manually via an Add/Edit dialog. This also allows mappings to be created when Midihub is offline.

Device Naming and USB Strings

Midihub’s USB Device name reported to the OS can now be set in Device → Settings. As some applications (e.g. MIDI Patchbay on macOS) may lose or not recognize configurations after device name changes, it is important to make note of or backup important set-ups before making name changes. On macOS you may have to remove the Midihub device from the Audio MIDI Setup app before the new name gets used.

Midihub will now report the USB port names set in the Default Port Names via USB to the host OS. At this time no OS is currently requesting the port names, but we hope to see that in the future.

14-bit LFO and S&H Waveform

LFOs can now output 14-bit values (MSB produced at CC id set in params, LSB at CC id + 32).

In addition to that, LFOs can now use Sample & Hold waveform - either using internal noise for sampling, or the incoming CC value (which, from among other things, can come from another LFO placed before it).

Dispatcher Algorithms

The Dispatcher pipe got some nice new algorithms, allowing for some new creative uses:

• Round Robin - the classic algorithm used by earlier versions.
  • Random - a random free channel gets picked.
  • Ping Pong - picks free channels in sequence going up and down the channel numbers.
  • Chord - resets the initial channel to the first one every time all the notes are released.
  • Chord Asc. - waits for Grace Period for all the notes, then produces them sorted from lowest to highest.
  • Chord Desc. - same as above, except sorted from highest note to the lowest.

Also there’s a new Surplus Ch. parameter which can be used to send the notes which didn’t find a free slot to a dedicated channel.

Arpeggiator’s New Algorithms

Arpeggiator got two new algorithms - Entirely Up then Down and Entirely Down then Up - it’s simillar to Up and Down and Down and Up, except instead of repeating every octave, it goes through the set Octave Range all the way in its entirety and only then switches the direction.

Transform Improved

The Transform Pipe can now use the MIDI message’s Channel when processing, making it even more flexible.

Additionally, Transform Pipe now has a ‘Drop’ mode which enables using it as a specific Filter.

Dotted Times

All pipes that could be synced to tempo have received dotted time sync options.

Harmonizer Improved

The Harmonizer now has Play Root Note?, controlling whether to play a default +0 note, as well as Inversion parameter, allowing for easy chord inversion.

Sustain’s New Mode

Sustain Pipe got a new Sostenuto mode which holds only the notes that were playing at the time the Pedal On parameter was turned on.

UI Improvements

Dragging an existing pipe with mappings while holding down Ctrl+Shift or Alt+Shift will copy the mappings too. Dragging a leftmost pipe with Ctrl or Alt down will copy the entire pipeline, if Shift is held additionally, it will copy the mappings too.

Improved Drag & Drop operations in between multiple Editor’s instances.

Added Enable All, Disable All and Inverse options for all of the pipes with many checkboxes in their properties (like the ones to select channels to use).

Advanced USB Options

For Windows users with multiple Midihubs, some special options were added to allow overriding the USB VID and PID pair used by the Midihub device, to workaround a known Windows OS driver issue where it sets the same device name to all the connected Midihubs.

Detailed Changelog

• Virtual output pipes can now be used for modified internal MIDI mappings.
  • Manual adding and editing of MIDI mappings for pipe parameters.
  • Transform pipe’s output message’s channel handling made more flexible.
  • Added ‘dotted’ sync times for LFO, Delay, Note Repeater, Arpeggiator and Fixed Note Length pipes.
  • 2 new Arpeggiator algorithms: ‘Entirely Up Then Down’ and ‘Entirely Down Then Up’.
  • Chord Grace Period argument added to Dispatcher.
  • Sostenuto mode added to Sustain pipe.
  • Added ‘Play Root Note?’ and ‘Inversion’ parameters to Harmonizer.
  • Midihub can now be named in Device → Settings menu.
  • Added USB Overrides in the Settings menu, meant for Windows OS users with multiple Midihubs.
  • Fixed exclusive access to Midihub’s serial port on Linux.
  • Copy MIDI mappings along with pipe when dragged and dropped with Alt/Ctrl + Shift.
  • Dragging a Pipe outside of the main area will not get deleted if Alt or Ctrl is held, allowing dragging of pipes between Editor instances.
  • Added Enable All, Disable All and Inverse options for all of the pipes with many checkboxes in their properties.
  • MIDI monitor pane fixes when monitoring single byte MIDI messages.
  • Patchstorage browser performance improved.
  • Use mapped MIDI events on Virtual output ports for virtual mapping processing.
  • Linear remap/rescale algorithm improved for pipes using ‘In Low’, ‘In High’, ‘Out Low’, ‘Out High’ parameters.
  • Fixed Arpeggiator’s Up And Down and Down And Up algorithms skipping the base note when going to another octave.
  • Drop mode added for Transform.
  • Channel data now available as Value for Byte 1/2.
  • Fix for LFO phase.
  • 14-bit LFO mode.
  • Sample & Hold LFO waveform.
  • Algorithms and Surplus Channel parameters added to Dispatcher Pipe.
  • Send Default Port Names of USB ports to the USB host.
  • Virtual port processing fixes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chronical said:

For anyone using or interested in the Blokas Midihub, it just got a huge firmware update that's still in Beta. The S&H for the LFO sounds nuts, just as I thought I'd wrapped my head around it they come out with this :wacko::biggrin:

haha wow that's a lot....i'd seen somewhere that there was a big new beta out for it but i hadn't looked into it...really wild how much they're putting into this tiny device. i've just started doing some particular testing with trying to use it with a small MIDI source and this is going to give me even more options on how to design MIDI routing for it.

similarly, Squarp just dropped a huge 2.0 update for the Hapax. 16 patterns per track (up from 8), MIDI effect ECHO finally added, Ableton style follow actions (?! unexpected!), MIDI rerouting via an OUTPUT effect....i still think it's kinda matching Ableton + Push in capabilities for MIDI sequencing, but this is still really interesting. i haven't even loaded it up yet, need to test it out this weekend.

Edited by auxien

been having some fun with this Dillon Baston M4L device called Bouncy Notes, kind of like a generative sequencer that imitates the rhythms of bouncing balls. Have not been able to do anything usable with it melodically, but in this tutorial it shows how to use it with one-shot drum samples and drum rack in Ableton (at around the 9:50 minute mark). Twiddling the "speed" parameter (and other parameters) is pretty fun when having a simple drum sequence going:

3 hours ago, auxien said:

Squarp just dropped a huge 2.0 update for the Hapax.

They discontinued Pyramid a while back and released a last firmware update. Shame, Pyramid is a good sequencer, especially when paired with a Hermod/Hermod+  it's a hybrid MIDI-eurorack powerhouse as you can control Hermod with MIDI from Pyramid but output gate + CVs for rack modules. I've been eyeing Hapax as well, but I don't think I'll check it out as I've finally settled on OXI One as my primary sequencer, nothing else comes even close the features, versatility and capabilities it has, especially after the 4.0 firmware update. I have OXI Split to give me 48 MIDI channels and OXI Pipe to bring the 8 gate + CV outputs right into the rack.

5 hours ago, chronical said:

For anyone using or interested in the Blokas Midihub, it just got a huge firmware update that's still in Beta.

Thank you for the heads up, I'll have to upgrade and check it out, sounds cool - do you have an URL, where?

I also got an OXI Coral, need to go deep on it to learn, and vpme.de Euclidean Circles w/ Six Switches for easy rhythm sequencing in the rack, it's really quick and fun way to make beats with e.g. Queen of Pentacles.

Edited by dcom

1 hour ago, dcom said:

Pyramid is a good sequencer

no doubt, i used it for about 2 years and it was good for what it was, but that seemed more geared towards intricate compositions...however, the lack of dedicated interface components made much of that composition quite a slog. i remember multiple functions i was using constantly were two & three button combos, often needing both hands to do them, and it just got ridiculous trying to do that with nearly every action. if they'd added about 2-3 times as many buttons, it would've been beautiful. i think their relative inexperience at the time and inspiration from earlier hardware sequencers kinda hobbled them. a lot of people still really enjoy it though, and that's great it's working for them long term. i saw the 'final' update get posted and some were unhappy about still-expected/hoped-for features but...Squarp's a small team, they're not going to be able to make everything perfect for everyone. they did support it for quite a lot of years, i believe nearly all bugs were handled. it's got its place in history for sure.

1 hour ago, dcom said:

I've been eyeing Hapax as well, but I don't think I'll check it out as I've finally settled on OXI One as my primary sequencer

yeah you're not alone in that assessment, seen plenty of others choosing OXI One over Hapax. the OXI seems like it can do a lot for sure, but it seems awful fiddly to me...a bit similar to the Pyramid, you've got a pretty significant learning curve. if the payoff works for you then that's great....the amount of things it can do is undeniable. i do like the Hapax's ease of use and constant screen feedback + wealth of dedicated buttons for use without contextual thought. that's where it maybe has a bit of edge over Ableton + Push....but that's probably a bit of a wash between the two in that regard.

4 hours ago, auxien said:

similarly, Squarp just dropped a huge 2.0 update for the Hapax. 16 patterns per track (up from 8), MIDI effect ECHO finally added, Ableton style follow actions (?! unexpected!), MIDI rerouting via an OUTPUT effect....i still think it's kinda matching Ableton + Push in capabilities for MIDI sequencing, but this is still really interesting. i haven't even loaded it up yet, need to test it out this weekend.

I'm also super stoked about this. I emailed them a few months ago with some feature requests and some of them made it in (note preview, setting note length on the grid). It took them so long to release the bug stability patch I assumed some of these features would take even longer. Definitely an awesome sequencer.  I need to get faster with it though, I've been investing all my learning time into getting efficient in bitwig but I need to switch back to the hapax soon. Other features I asked them for and they seemed open to exploring, namely a mono-mode w/ legato triggering/accents/slides, and some kind of paramater-locking feature as an alternate automation, (they asked me to flesh out a possible implementation and so I gave them some ideas).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I'm also super stoked about this. I emailed them a few months ago with some feature requests and some of them made it in (note preview, setting note length on the grid). It took them so long to release the bug stability patch I assumed some of these features would take even longer. Definitely an awesome sequencer.  I need to get faster with it though, I've been investing all my learning time into getting efficient in bitwig but I need to switch back to the hapax soon. Other features I asked them for and they seemed open to exploring, namely a mono-mode w/ legato triggering/accents/slides, and some kind of paramater-locking feature as an alternate automation, (they asked me to flesh out a possible implementation and so I gave them some ideas).

nice! the note echo was one i and others had requested since day one basically and they 'd confirmed was in the works, so glad to see if finally arrive. the note preview should be a welcome addition too.

mono would definitely be a useful feature yeah...i'm not sure how they didn't think this would be a need since day one...there's so many monosynths out there, and nearly any polysynth is going to have a mono option as well. i get the impression they're selling a lot of these, so i'm hoping they can invest some more into development on it (and whatever else) and get their team bulked up to support the firmware, for the Hapax/Hermod/future devices.

On 12/9/2023 at 8:19 PM, auxien said:

seen plenty of others choosing OXI One over Hapax. the OXI seems like it can do a lot for sure, but it seems awful fiddly to me...a bit similar to the Pyramid, you've got a pretty significant learning curve.

I think that Hapax is mostly Pyramid but with direct access to the pattern grid and other functionality through the pad matrix, the MIDI effects seem to be about the same, and there's a few more hardware extras, but otherwise the biggest difference is the UI/UX - Pyramid has been squeezed to a minimum, whereas Hapax has been expanded for easier access to various functionality. I agree that Pyramid and OXI One have a steep learning curve, but especially with OXI One the payoff is huge. There's a second-hand Hapax available near me for a very good price, I'm still a bit tempted.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:38 PM, dcom said:

Thank you for the heads up, I'll have to upgrade and check it out, sounds cool - do you have an URL, where?

There's a link to it in my post in the text "their backstage community" :flower:

On 12/9/2023 at 5:38 PM, dcom said:

They discontinued Pyramid a while back and released a last firmware update. Shame, Pyramid is a good sequencer, especially when paired with a Hermod/Hermod+  it's a hybrid MIDI-eurorack powerhouse as you can control Hermod with MIDI from Pyramid but output gate + CVs for rack modules. I've been eyeing Hapax as well, but I don't think I'll check it out as I've finally settled on OXI One as my primary sequencer, nothing else comes even close the features, versatility and capabilities it has, especially after the 4.0 firmware update. I have OXI Split to give me 48 MIDI channels and OXI Pipe to bring the 8 gate + CV outputs right into the rack.

I've been always interested in the oxi. But curious, how do you deal with having only 4 Tracks in total? I feel I'd need one Drum and 4 others to get anywhere good ;D

1 hour ago, e-mertz said:

But curious, how do you deal with having only 4 Tracks in total?

Not four tracks, but four separate sequencers with multiple modes to choose from: MONO, POLY, CHORD, MULTITRACK, STOCHASTIC, and MATRICEAL. MULTITRACK has 8 monophonic tracks you can use whatever way you want, drums, monosynths, whatever - each track can be configured to use a different MIDI channel, gate + CV outs, whatever. MONO and POLY are what it says on the tin, monophonic and polyphonic single track sequencers. CHORD is a polyphonic, chord-sequencing and performance sequencer. STOCHASTIC is a controlled randomized performance sequencer, four-track monophonic; last but not least, MATRICEAL is a four-track monophonic quick-access sequencer with direct pad access to a plethora of parameters.

So, if you want, you can have four MULTITRACK sequencers running at the same time, and you'll have 32 monophonic tracks at your perusal. You can also load whole sequencers, their tracks and patterns in various ways, and have e.g. two sequencers running while you load the next piece of your performance to the other two sequencers, then mute/solo/unmute tracks or whole sequencers at will to transition between parts - or you can use the arranger, or control your sequencers, patterns, whatever via MIDI Program Changes etc.

OXI One is definitely one of the most versatile and powerful sequencers available, but I would still love to check Cirklon out, to see how it fares against OXI One. Hapax, too, although I know it doesn't even come close to OXI One's features.

Edited by dcom
  • Thanks 1

I'm Gasing hard for a Digitone too. Having so much fun with the Model Cycles over the last year or so, loving the Elektron sequencer and really want to get deeper into learning FM. [the Cycles is basically just blending between presets.] I dont use a computer any more so no operator. I've been messing around getting some incredibly horrible sounds out of an old Alesis Micron but eventually Im probably going to cave in.

• Like 2

Of all the Elektron boxen the only one I'm yearning for is Analog Four (MK2), I don't care about the sequencer (for obvious reasons), although a lot of people have told me that if I'm not using the Elektron sequencer, I'm doing it wrong (I would love to prove them wrong instead). From the same heuristic category I'd probably prefer a Vermon PERfourMER MK2, or a Dreadbox Abyss (yeah, it's not a four separate monosynths in one, but a 4-voice poly, multitimbral, and more - close enough for me).

1 hour ago, Key said:

I'm Gasing hard for a Digitone too. Having so much fun with the Model Cycles over the last year or so, loving the Elektron sequencer and really want to get deeper into learning FM. [the Cycles is basically just blending between presets.] I dont use a computer any more so no operator. I've been messing around getting some incredibly horrible sounds out of an old Alesis Micron but eventually Im probably going to cave in.

I won over the GAS as I focus on FM I have in Ableton and just using a controller. 
Even like to build my own FM devices in Max/Msp for learning mostly. Feels so good to have it all in one place! 

And speaking of everything in one.. 
when you're having 1 Elektron you will always crave for more.. and it will be more complicated. 
And finally maybe you will see that the Digitone is limited. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a used Analog Rytm MKII from Guitar Center for $550. They heavily discounted it because they said the E knob was bent and non-functioning. Turns out it does work but it is bent and a little wobbly when turning it, otherwise it's in perfect condition.

IMG_7183.JPG

• Like 3
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 1

9 minutes ago, DavieAddison said:

Picked up a used Analog Rytm MKII from Guitar Center for $550. They heavily discounted it because they said the E knob was bent and non-functioning. Turns out it does work but it is bent and a little wobbly when turning it, otherwise it's in perfect condition.

IMG_7183.JPG

hot damn that's a good deal. i imagine the knob could be fixed by Elektron themselves if nothing else.