IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

It is about time.  Representation is all that matters, over story, over art, over writing, over experience.  

Thank you Kathleen Kennedy, Disney, and Star Wars for being so stunning and brave in these perilous times.

I'm hoping the new Rey movie will be an allegory for something important like Trans rights, or White Privilege.  We shall see.

*standing ovation*

Screenshot_20240102_222317_Instagram.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic.

That's where I would go, about the discovery of the Force, and the separation of the Jedi and the Sith. I got ideas on how they could really use that to make a great watching experience. But doubt the higher ups would give a shit, because who the fuck am I? 

Besides that, don't give a shit about all the other recent Star Wars stuff....

Star Wars has long been the site of so much rage and misery. Remember how much grief George Lucas got for the prequels? Now its all linked in with toxic culture war shit and incels/chuds.

Whats the deal with so much opprobrium? Is it cause of people's misdirected emotions?

I have no faith any new Star Wars movies will be good - but  not because theyve now hired a brown woman to direct it, or not because of Kathleen Kennedy or Disney but because the well has run dry - theres only so many times you can tell the same story about space wizards defeating space nazis. They have already had guys like Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan people with tested story writing/directing experience and look how that turned out. Face it dudes its already dead.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

29 minutes ago, Key said:

Whats the deal with so much opprobrium? Is it cause of people's misdirected emotions?

I have no faith any new Star Wars movies will be good - but  not because theyve now hired a brown woman to direct it, or not because of Kathleen Kennedy or Disney but because the well has run dry - theres only so many times you can tell the same story about space wizards defeating space nazis. They have already had guys like Ron Howard, JJ Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan people with tested story writing/directing experience and look how that turned out. Face it dudes its already dead.

That's sort of the point, the times have changed and the demands of film production are incompatible with a good vs evil space romp. There are too many demographics to consider, some of which have expectations filtered through childhood memories while the rest would be bored to death by classic SW. What feels modern in terms of character tropes and story arcs has become too convoluted, while special effects (practical or CGI) as a central component of film making have overstayed their welcome. We have these billion dollar extravagant CGI monsters and everytime you watch one, it's like they don't have a point. It doesn't help that all the botched SW attempts of 25 years are canon and would likely prevent any meaningful reinterpretation. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Key said:

Star Wars has long been the site of so much rage and misery. Remember how much grief George Lucas got for the prequels? Now its all linked in with toxic culture war shit and incels/chuds.

:cisfor:

I 100% agree. The franchise is like an abusive ex that breaks your heart in an unforgivable way and keeps calling, insisting that the've changed but ends up letting you down every time you give it a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th chance. At some point, you realize you just need to get smart and move on, remembering the good times you shared in the early days, and just leave it at that.

• Like 3

On 1/9/2024 at 12:37 PM, Key said:

not because theyve now hired a brown woman to direct it, or not because of Kathleen Kennedy or Disney but because the well has run dry 

The issue isn't that the director is brown, it's that they hired a political activist director who has only directed feminist documentaries and has no right to be in this position.  They are obviously more interested in the virtue points (The Force is Female! And diverse!) and pushing their agenda than telling a good story with good acting.

Hell, even the new disney Star Wars Canon novels which I read --  I almost got lost in a chapter because they adopted the "they/them" pronoun quackery to a character in the book.  Like trans non-binary inclusion is so important that you need to shove it into a universe that there never was a plural character in its entire history.  Now I'm here reading a piece of literature with someone writing "they ate some food" "he passed the blaster to them."  🤦‍♂️

As far as the whole well has ran dry hypothesis, I have to disagree.  There are tons of really cool timelines and storylines in the universe that could be fleshed out into movies.  The Old Republic Era, the Dawn of the Jedi, Crimson Empire with Kir Kanos, the Yuuhzon Vong, Darth Bane, Plagueis, or any of the ancient Sith.

Andor and one or two seasons of the Mandalorian have proven its possible to not make complete and absolute utterly shiite.

• Facepalm 2

They are trying to stay relevant in a modern and changing world, with a younger and more progressively minded audience. They correctly know old geeks will (hate) buy it all forever irregardless, - they need to open up new markets (girls).

Sci-fi is a mirror to the contemporary world, it cannot keep reflecting the years 77-83 forever. Thats why Andor was pretty good cause it seemed to be telling a story about creeping fascism.

The other stuff you list (that i recognise) is just rehashes of the same story. Or rehashes of other peoples stories. (Mandalorian/spaghetti western, Yuzzang Vong/the Borg). 

I thought the Last Jedi was deeply flawed but at least it was trying to breathe some new life and direction into a tired story. Rise of Skywalker was an embarrasing capitulation backwards. I think this new one will probably try something totally different again and die on its arse.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Key said:

They are trying to stay relevant in a modern and changing world, with a younger and more progressively minded audience. They correctly know old geeks will (hate) buy it all forever irregardless, - they need to open up new markets (girls).

Here's the problem.  Force feeding feminism is not going to magically change who likes Star Wars.  It's the same thing with the WNBA (the women's basketball league) here in America.  It's failed since its inception, it's not because men are evil geniuses trying to keep women down, it's because women just don't like watching basketball!!!

Star Wars is not going to magically change from a male-dominated fandom to a female dominated one... Ever.

I'm not opposed at all to implementing progressive ideals into works like this, but what upsets people is when someone is chosen for a job purely for these ideals and not for their experience, expertise, knowledge, skill, etc.

There's a backlash now in America where the Supreme Court has now banned using race and ethnicity in college admissions (affirmative action).  I'm 100% in favor of this because I believe it's the skill and the character of the person is what should matter not the color of their skin or what's between their legs.  

Edited by lyst
  • Facepalm 2

Well I believe people's skills/character/expertise/knowledge etc. are not grown and developed in a vacuum, but in a biased world with various obstacles or advantages for different groups, and the more work we can do to level these rules the better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Key said:

Well I believe people's skills/character/expertise/knowledge etc. are not grown and developed in a vacuum, but in a biased world with various obstacles or advantages for different groups, and the more work we can do to level these rules the better. 

Therein lies the problem I find with the far left and the progressives. "Leveling" the playing field means pushing some groups down to lift others up.  & portraying it as you are doing something virtuous.  (Diversity / equity quotas, affirmative action, etc)

I believe the only answer is to lift people up without pushing others down.  I see this being accomplished by attacking the real root cause, not just trying to put a bandaid over it.  Doing things like increasing social and wellfare services, bettering inner city schools, forming educational programs for gifted students in these schools, funding family organizations and community outreach, and so on.

But alas, I have digressed far from Star Wars.

• 3 weeks later...

I bet this would be badass, use Apple Vision Pro and a good pair of cans or AirPods with spatial audio. Star Wars would be the first thing I’d watch anyway.

IMG_1216.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I got it, a pre-prequel trilogy, how they found the force, how the Jedi and Sith were formed, hear me out:

Star Wars: Episode -3: Knights Of The Old Republic

Star Wars: Episode -2: The Force Unleashed

Star Wars: Episode -1: Duel Of The Fates

- meaning minus 🙂

Anyway, sorry, Duel Of The Fates is the greatest piece of music in the Star Wars, change my mind:

• 2 weeks later...

I will withhold any judgement on The Acolyte until I see it.  I will always give something a good chance, especially my all-time favorite franchise.

Edited by lyst
Don't even want to go there xD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...