IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Maybe calling the right a bunch of idiots isn't actually a good strategy

Maybe we should treat them like actual human beings

And try to actually understand their thoughts and decisions

Instead of writing them off as irredeemable sub-human scum

Because honestly, it doesn't look like the "ur dumb lol" strategy is working

I wish we didn't have to wait for Trump to do something SO irredeemable, that they could just finally figure it out themselves, but then there's the risk of them still making excuses for him after that.

I think people know that if they voted for him and shit really hits the fan, they have no one to blame but themselves. So they blame this caricature of "liberals" to make themselves not feel responsible. They reach the bargaining phase of grief and stop there.

Open political discussions seem to work on a personal level from what I've experienced. Like I stated a few pages ago, I'm the only one in my office who voted Hillary. We do talk politics at work from time to time and we listen to each other's concerns. We do come to understandings and the whole "I never saw things that way before" deal. As far as post inaurguration goes, there are some regrets from a couple of my peers. One guy who is much older and about to retire likes Trumps ideas but doesn't like the way they are presented. He also says that he would happily form a lynching committee if Trump disapoints him.

It's the group mentality that usually brings up the whole "They are stupid!" debate.

I wish we didn't have to wait for Trump to do something SO irredeemable, that they could just finally figure it out themselves, but then there's the risk of them still making excuses for him after that.

I think people know that if they voted for him and shit really hits the fan, they have no one to blame but themselves. So they blame this caricature of "liberals" to make themselves not feel responsible. They reach the bargaining phase of grief and stop there.

1) people in general are like that

It's not some character defect only found on the Right

e.g. Your post is exactly how my father talks about the Left

(Basically: "eventually they'll see the error of their ways, and I'll be nearby smirking knowingly at their foolishness, though I won't say 'I told you so' to their face because I'm classy like that")

2) you can't just *tell* someone they're wrong

And then call them dumb when they don't take your word for it

(Has that approach ever changed *your* mind?)

Wow, big surprise things are so shitty

"I mean, we keep *telling* them they're fucking idiots

But they're fucking idiots so they don't listen"

How about we try another approach

Maybe start with the assumption that these people are like us

And that even *we* don't tend to change our minds when someone from the other side is calling us fucking idiots for not seeing the light

3) I'm gonna just keep posting my favorite Jack Handy joke:

Bill is a real jerk

But if he were here, he'd say I was the jerk

No Bill, you're the jerk

But if he were here...

At work I'm practically the only one who didn't vote for trump. There are only 5 of us who work here (4 now since one was fired). Funny how you couldn't shut them up leading up to the inauguration. It's been crickets here at work since all the executive orders. One finally broke down today and voiced her disapproval of how he's doing things.

california is a weird fucking state

Edited by juiceciuj

yeah, it seems fairly difficult to find open and logical discussion regarding this whole matter. i'm sure it's out there, but it seems to be drowned out by volumes of mindless projection, unshakable dogma, condescension, insults, etc.

i wonder if understanding the source and proliferation of these dichotomies we're all being presented with is actually more important than choosing sides and getting lost in the noise?

One guy who is much older and about to retire likes Trumps ideas but doesn't like the way they are presented.

I've said this to people I know before. It's a matter of tact. Sometimes it's not what you're saying or doing so much as how you're saying or doing it.

Trump has the tact of an angry 10 year old who has just been told he's not getting ice cream or something.

I'm sure he's having his bust placed in every room of the white house as we speak.  Probably gonna melt down the ones he spoke of to make more.

yeah, it seems fairly difficult to find open and logical discussion regarding this whole matter. i'm sure it's out there, but it seems to be drowned out by volumes of mindless projection, unshakable dogma, condescension, insults, etc.

i wonder if understanding the source and proliferation of these dichotomies we're all being presented with is actually more important than choosing sides and getting lost in the noise?

So, I think what happens is that

both sides feel morally justified in doing whatever it takes

To push their agenda through

e.g. I just saw a petition going around to convince Angus King to reject *all* of Trump's nominees for everything

Not half of them, not 80% of them

Every last one

Now, hopefully everybody remembers when the Rebulicunts cock-blocked Obama from 'doing his job' at every possible chance

Well, good news everybody!

*we* are justified in acting that way because our agenda is morally righteous

but when *they* do it, it's because they're evil

(Now, how can we convince the Republican'ts that they're dumb and evil?!?)

We all enjoyed watching Republicans suffer under Obama

Now it's time to reap the shitty fruit of that attitude

(Or perhaps we could treat everyone like fellow human beings)

Is that collection of words supposed to form some sort of meaning? Are they sentences?

You do make a fair point tho Limpy.

IRL in my daily public dealings, I'm not just gonna ask every person I know if they vote Republican and if they answer yes, I'm not gonna be like "well fuck you then." Because we all still share the land, despite our political differences.

But at the same time I'm concerned that the current regime will fundamentally overhaul our political system, to the point where GOP politicians fully consolidate their party power and effectively ban future elections altogether. I hope I'm wrong.

You do make a fair point tho Limpy.

IRL in my daily public dealings, I'm not just gonna ask every person I know if they vote Republican and if they answer yes, I'm not gonna be like "well fuck you then." Because we all still share the land, despite our political differences.

But at the same time I'm concerned that the current regime will fundamentally overhaul our political system, to the point where GOP politicians fully consolidate their party power and effectively ban future elections altogether. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not saying "capitulate"

I'm saying "new strategy"

Hopefully everyone here knows/can guess my thoughts on education, climate and everything else that's currently on sale to the lowest bidder/highest donor

So believe me when I say the stakes are way too high to quietly take our lumps for 4-8 years

Rather, I think we should always talk to people as if they're on our side, and not like some alien race that's trying to steal civilization away from the humans

I think of instances where I've been "othered" to whatever degree

And the idea that I was in the mood to agree with them?

(On anything, let alone politics?)

Fuck no...

if anything, people get spiteful

And go far, far out of their way to contradict the other person

(We all know people we wouldn't be caught *dead* agreeing with)

Why?

Because people are guided by their present goals/motivations, not by pure omniscient rationality

So if my goal is to prove that the person I'm debating is a fucking idiot

*agreeing with them on anything* seems like a terrible move

(Because that 'person' isn't like *me* at all)

Edited by LimpyLoo

1) people in general are like that

It's not some character defect only found on the Right

e.g. Your post is exactly how my father talks about the Left

(Basically: "eventually they'll see the error of their ways, and I'll be nearby smirking knowingly at their foolishness, though I won't say 'I told you so' to their face because I'm classy like that")

2) you can't just *tell* someone they're wrong

And then call them dumb when they don't take your word for it

(Has that approach ever changed *your* mind?)

Wow, big surprise things are so shitty

"I mean, we keep *telling* them they're fucking idiots

But they're fucking idiots so they don't listen"

How about we try another approach

Maybe start with the assumption that these people are like us

And that even *we* don't tend to change our minds when someone from the other side is calling us fucking idiots for not seeing the light

3) I'm gonna just keep posting my favorite Jack Handy joke:

Bill is a real jerk

But if he were here, he'd say I was the jerk

No Bill, you're the jerk

But if he were here...

The thing is, they can't defend the choice they made and refuse to own up to it no matter what the facts are. It's not like this is a new thing, it's just gotten more intense. Have you tried? Calm reasonable discussion leads nowhere. Sometimes you just have to let a kid touch the stove so they know it's hot.

I would be more than happy to see them snap out of it. There were a lot of articles after the election saying more or less what you're saying, but that ship sailed, and then sank.

One guy who is much older and about to retire likes Trumps ideas but doesn't like the way they are presented.

I've said this to people I know before. It's a matter of tact. Sometimes it's not what you're saying or doing so much as how you're saying or doing it.

Trump has the tact of an angry 10 year old who has just been told he's not getting ice cream or something.

His temperament and apologists for it baffle me the most. I know people who readily excuse or even like his faults yet spent 8 years cynically scoffing and critiquing Obama on every little thing. It really makes you wonder if racist and sexist undertones are behind such attitudes.

His temperament and apologists for it baffle me the most. I know people who readily excuse or even like his faults yet spent 8 years cynically scoffing and critiquing Obama on every little thing. It really makes you wonder if racist and sexist undertones are behind such attitudes.

I think it's severe narcissism that pervades everything he says and does. Whether that precedes the racism/sexism I don't know and is probably a moot point but yeah, this guy has extreme narcissistic tendencies.

Enough about me, let's talk about me. Oh also, the blacks. Aren't they great? Love the Blacks. Fred Douglas. Fred Rick Douglas? Right? Freddy. Great guy. Totally underrated.

I totally used that Bush check to buy weed and beer, lol

this is the most American statement in this thread