IGNORED

Rhys Celeste - Microlith FR016

whosebrian

There's no fucking way in hell I would pay $80 (including shipping to the US) for a record in which the artist will not see a dime of it. Put up the digitals on Bandcamp for a reasonable price and stop capitalizing on someone's death.

did you know about the plexiglass tho??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no fucking way in hell I would pay $80 (including shipping to the US) for a record in which the artist will not see a dime of it. Put up the digitals on Bandcamp for a reasonable price and stop capitalizing on someone's death.

The plexiglass not only lets you see the record it also lets you clearly see that this is a cash grab masquerading as a tribute.

The plexiglass not only lets you see the record it also lets you clearly see that this is a cash grab masquerading as a tribute.

if you shine a blacklight on the plexiglass it reveals a photo of the record label execs pissing on Rhys's tombstone

Would suggest someone from here reach out to the label and ask for an explanation. Seems disrespectful at best.

If the proceeds are, in full, going to his family, I might change my thoughts but yeah.

in defense of the label--this is standard operating procedure for them. i don't think alek is exactly laughing his way to the bank on anything they put out. calling this a cash grab seems a bit much. super annoying? yes. malicious? i don't think so

however, what i don't like is the whole 'put in your pre-order now because these will go fast!' vibe. that does seem a bit salesman-y/insensitive considering the situation 

in defense of the label--this is standard operating procedure for them. i don't think alek is exactly laughing his way to the bank on anything they put out. calling this a cash grab seems a bit much. super annoying? yes. malicious? i don't think so

however, what i don't like is the whole 'put in your pre-order now because these will go fast!' vibe. that does seem a bit salesman-y/insensitive considering the situation

Standard operating procedure is really not an excuse. And his good intentions seem just a product of ignorant ideals to me, tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to the samples a few times through.  It's such a good release - I really wish it would be released in digital format because I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• 1 month later...

With all due respect to Rhys' memory and the creative direction of the label, I think the lack of a digital release turned out to be a disservice not only to the fans but to the artist himself, as I think that if he knew this was going to be his last release he would have wanted it to be heard by as many people as possible.

That's a very polite way of putting Reinehr.

Personally I think it's fucking shit as fuck and the person responsible is a massive cunt.

I know I'm nobody but if I died release all my shit for free. Or do a ltd run and have the proceeds benefit my family. And still do digitals. For chrissakes.

That's a very polite way of putting Reinehr.

Personally I think it's fucking shit as fuck and the person responsible is a massive cunt.

I know I'm nobody but if I died release all my shit for free. Or do a ltd run and have the proceeds benefit my family. And still do digitals. For chrissakes.

Yeah this is one album that I feel no remorse from pirating it

Microlith's family gave their consent for the album to be released.

If you have a turntable and sufficient cash, feel free to support it.

Note that other labels that released his work posthumously haven't received vitriol.

Note that other labels that released his work posthumously haven't received vitriol.

What other labels? Also, did they focus more on the music rather than on plexiglass and getting people not to be able to listen to it? Maybe there's a pattern here.

What other labels? Also, did they focus more on the music rather than on plexiglass and getting people not to be able to listen to it? Maybe there's a pattern here.

Central Processing Unit & mindcolormusic

Don't get me wrong, if they had an economy version of their releases I would certainly appreciate that as an option. Consider though, that Microlith gave his music to them for release, knowing how they wrap everything in packages.

Don't get me wrong, if they had an economy version of their releases I would certainly appreciate that as an option. Consider though, that Microlith gave his music to them for release, knowing how they wrap everything in packages.

but the gent passed away!!! I think someone is lacking in some empathy.

but the gent passed away!!! I think someone is lacking in some empathy.

I'm lacking somewhere to put my 808 box when it arrives.

• 2 months later...

LOL @ "italian cardboard".

Still, I'm not or no longer on board with the hate for this label. If you don't like it and don't see any added value in what they do then keep your money. I bet a lot of us (ex-)complainers have spent significant amounts on releases that are only slightly less silly.

Archived