IGNORED

Testosterone levels

cheeseburgerwalrus

I actually generate excess testosterone and get other gym dudes to extract it direct from my balls via the shaft

With... their mouth?
Are you feigning ignorance of cumburglary techniques?

this is wrong, you must at all times consume your own T as to keep your T levels in check and not let them below the acceptable quaintity. I usually take mine with a glass of rum and a raw egg

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peace is right, it's why they recommend 45 mins max for weight lifting. 

Cortisol and the stress response also negatively impacts blood pressure etc, increasing cardiovascular risk. Long term endurance style athletes are at elevated risk for heart attack/stroke as as result of the cortisol release, although my understanding is the stress response is slightly diff for cardio vs weight lifting.

edit: my understanding anyway. I'm no doctorologist.

Yeah I'd be pretty sure this is incorrect. If I've time, I'll do some digging on pubmed. I think if you're talking ultra-distance athletes who take things to silly extremes they've various risks of kidney failure and rhabdomyolysis but I don't think your average marathon runner would have an elevated risk of heart attack/stroke. Opposite will be true. 

I think there's so many confounding factors with regard to cortisol release that it must be hard to isolate and study in relation to exercise.

A quick google search will show you it is well documented that endurance athletes (especially runners) are at high risk for heart attack in their late life. It's less to do with general health (weight, fitness) as it is the changes to the cardiovascular system. 

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but everything I've read supports that including the effects of cortisol. 

but again, google researcher (me) vs actual research (someone else) - I'm likely wrong.

You're changing the parameters there. Of course in later life if you put more strain on a system it could be liable to have problems. Same way people die on toilet or during sex. I don't think it's anything to do with cortisol. It also doesn't account for the longterm benefits to cardiovascular health while at rest as a result of training.

Cardiovascular exercise is hugely net beneficial to one's health I don't think that can be disputed.

I am a doctor though v inexperienced. It's still no coincidence that cv exercise is cornerstone of so many health guidelines. I've some friends who are a lot more into sports med who might be able to link some interesting research, I'm no expert in it.

I think we should make a distinction between healthy amounts of exercise (30 minutes a day-ish, moderate) and the people I'm trying to describe (marathon runners, excessive weightlifting etc).

Definitely not suggesting cardio is unhealthy, just that the people MOST would consider above average health may actually be at greater risk. 

Just a quick search on "cortisol from weight lifting" or "marathon runners + artery plaque" comes up with lots of interesting reading. edit: I think for endurance athletes part of (not all of) the increased risk was due to artery hardening. For weight lifting my understanding is there is an increased cortisol release after over-training and this is actually catabolic + estrogen inducing, hampering your efforts. 

Unfortunately we seem to live in an age where the latest and greatest in the world of health seems to be overturned in short stride. That + information overload make it often difficult to know what's fact and what's "fact for the week". =(

For the record: peace made a remark about getting a belly when working-out too long. 

whatever the effect on cardiovascular stuff, it's pretty straightforward to observe the bodies of long distance runners: skinny AF. whether or not their heart is damaged by too much exercise is another issue, i'd argue.

if you want to break down fat, low intensity endurance exercise is the way to go. you might want to work on developing your muscles (short exercises! weights) as well, in order to improve (the speed of) your metabolic system. but body fat is - generally speaking -  only used in long low intensity training sessions.

whether or not people should do longer low intensity sessions depends on a lot of things, btw. it's not a silver bullet. but i'd add to that, there is none to start with. and yes, too long is not good.

Too much exercise also results in elevated cortisol production, which gives men that lovely belly.

So if you want max test levels and rippling muscles, you gotta work out fucking hard- but for short periods- and rest really well.  3 hour gym sessions ain't good for anybody, unless you're on gear.

what!? how many long distance runners/cyclists/swimmers/whatever do you know with a belly? a distinction between lifting weights in a gym and actual training might be in place here.

in general, it's the long distance athletes being uber low-fat skinny. (not sure about their test levels though)

agreeing that being 3 hours in a gym (lifting weights) is not right though. no argument there. 

Yah- the belly thing was referring to "people who lift", trying to max their gains by eating 3000 to 5000+ calories a day, and spending several hours in the gym a day, and not on gear.

Crafting the body into a masterpiece of human aesthetics is some mind fuckery where less can be more, and it almost does not compute.  That'd be like if Dr. Mike Paradinas said to you that if work on music less, you'll finish more albums.  Then you'd reply that your albums are lacking, because you don't work on music enough.  Then he'd bring up "efficiency".  Then you'd realize that all you do is smoke weed for 7 hours and get tired, writing about 1 minute of music.  That's 1 minute per 7 hours.  And then paying yourself in IDM dollars at $50/hour, that's $1,400 a 4 minute track, but really what happens is you EQ that shit until your golden ears turn to butter, conceptual gel gets washy, and by the time the track is actually done- it might be great- but you end up having to pay yourself like $5,000+ IDM dollars per track.  And it's hard to pay yourself so much when you're not paying yourself enough to pay yourself.  But then you start to exercise more and craft your body, which actually ups efficiency of music production, and then you realize that Dr. Paradinas' concept of "efficiency" in music is holistic.  So then to get more IDM gains, you start eating 3000 to 5000+ calories a day, spend several hours in the gym a day, and you refuse steroids cuz your heart is too IDM.  Then motherfucking you're back at step 1, with a fat belly due to excess cortisol production, you're burnt out, irritable, and of course, this leads to writing less music.

I write the above casually, but this is some serious shit.

Yah- the belly thing was referring to "people who lift", trying to max their gains by eating 3000 to 5000+ calories a day, and spending several hours in the gym a day, and not on gear.

this is totally a thing yah

dudes get into lifting for health or to look good or whatever, but the more you do it the more the sensation of lifting itself starts to feel like the real reward, and your goal becomes just being able to lift heavier objects & get more of that satisfying "intense" feeling. the things you were originally lifting for start to seem like lowly societal conditioning trying to tempt you from the virtuous path. you turn into a big fat musclehulk. 170 pound dudes with low body fat% look like sticks to you now because they can still touch their own backs

i mean like i can feel the temptation there whenever i go to the gym, to just say "fukkit" & start slamming back four cartons of eggs a day in pursuit of crazy mass. luckily i'm also into yoga & dancing which favour lightness//balance//flexibility & thus balance that compulsion out

this is totally a thing yah

dudes get into lifting for health or to look good or whatever, but the more you do it the more the sensation of lifting itself starts to feel like the real reward, and your goal becomes just being able to lift heavier objects & get more of that satisfying "intense" feeling. the things you were originally lifting for start to seem like lowly societal conditioning trying to tempt you from the virtuous path. you turn into a big fat musclehulk. 170 pound dudes with low body fat% look like sticks to you now because they can still touch their own backs

i mean like i can feel the temptation there whenever i go to the gym, to just say "fukkit" & start slamming back four cartons of eggs a day in pursuit of crazy mass. luckily i'm also into yoga & dancing which favour lightness//balance//flexibility & thus balance that compulsion out

So

how much do u lift

Too much exercise also results in elevated cortisol production, which gives men that lovely belly.

So if you want max test levels and rippling muscles, you gotta work out fucking hard- but for short periods- and rest really well.  3 hour gym sessions ain't good for anybody, unless you're on gear.

what!? how many long distance runners/cyclists/swimmers/whatever do you know with a belly? a distinction between lifting weights in a gym and actual training might be in place here.

in general, it's the long distance athletes being uber low-fat skinny. (not sure about their test levels though)

agreeing that being 3 hours in a gym (lifting weights) is not right though. no argument there. 

Crafting the body into a masterpiece of human aesthetics is some mind fuckery where less can be more, and it almost does not compute.  That'd be like if Dr. Mike Paradinas said to you that if work on music less, you'll finish more albums.  Then you'd reply that your albums are lacking, because you don't work on music enough.  Then he'd bring up "efficiency".  Then you'd realize that all you do is smoke weed for 7 hours and get tired, writing about 1 minute of music.  That's 1 minute per 7 hours.  And then paying yourself in IDM dollars at $50/hour, that's $1,400 a 4 minute track, but really what happens is you EQ that shit until your golden ears turn to butter, conceptual gel gets washy, and by the time the track is actually done- it might be great- but you end up having to pay yourself like $5,000+ IDM dollars per track.  And it's hard to pay yourself so much when you're not paying yourself enough to pay yourself.  But then you start to exercise more and craft your body, which actually ups efficiency of music production, and then you realize that Dr. Paradinas' concept of "efficiency" in music is holistic.  So then to get more IDM gains, you start eating 3000 to 5000+ calories a day, spend several hours in the gym a day, and you refuse steroids cuz your heart is too IDM.  Then motherfucking you're back at step 1, with a fat belly due to excess cortisol production, you're burnt out, irritable, and of course, this leads to writing less music.

I write the above casually, but this is some serious shit.

Lol this is so Japanese. Having to pay to yourself for your own freetime

So

how much do u lift

0.5/1/2/2.5

BABY WEIGHTS :[

but i've only been serious about putting on muscle since mid-September. before that i was mostly just going to the gym to lose fat (lost 40ish pounds in 2017 & haven't put any back on despite lifts getting stronger woop woop noob gains)

My OHP is 45kg. Squat & Diddly 70kg. these are what I'm comfortable doing 3x5 of, I'm very careful about increasing the lifts, still on a pretty strict cut since I started out. Having any progress at all, especially in the OHP which is my favorite, is fun. I also do 45kg barbell rows which gets you a SICK pump!

I try to balance lifting with cardio training, my resting pulse is now in the low 60s which is a first and very exciting for me. Hope to make 50s within the year.

Chim - my resting heart rate is REALLY bad - usually 75-80.

That's alcohol though - last summer I spent a week with basically zero drinks and it was at 60 by the end of the week.

50s would be great.

it looks like you guys are approaching the teste development from the heavy lifting side.. I’m not doing that at all, but trying to do bodyweight HIIT more intensely / often recently..

I cycle a fuckton, resting rate is 50bpm, my legs are sexy af, but the arms / upper body look a bit flimsy in comparison... not easy to get proportions balanced lol.

it looks like you guys are approaching the teste development from the heavy lifting side.. I’m not doing that at all, but trying to do bodyweight HIIT more intensely / often recently..

I cycle a fuckton, resting rate is 50bpm, my legs are sexy af, but the arms / upper body look a bit flimsy in comparison... not easy to get proportions balanced lol.

It's the other way around with me. My legs loose the sexy look pretty quick during winter when I don't bicycle as much. It seems my body pulls weight out of my legs first which is really annoying. Need moar squats I guess.

phling rn

Big+Legs+Small+upper+body.jpg

Archived