IGNORED

The cult of aphex twin - bbc radio 4 doc

Amen Warrior

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I embarrassingly confess it was a disappointment for me at the time and I think the lost mp3 player story only made it worse. Made it seem like he just threw a bunch of tracks together to beat a leak. I still think the story was made up to cover how personal and risky the CCAI1/piano stuff was. Maybe he should have told the interviewer that he put his heart and soul into those tracks and wanted to be taken seriously as a composer instead of saying it was some random stuff on an mp3 player that he lost. 

At the time, we were used to aphex breaking new ground and every release sounding like pretty much nothing else out there in the mainstream, a mainstream he had broken into. This was before YouTube and the easy internet streaming that has allowed us to hear everything with ease. Back then I would take a punt on an album because it got a good write up in the music press or was on Warp, Rephlex, Planet Mu or tigerbeat6. There was a tiny little rack of electronic music cds in selectadisk on Berwick street in london and the big HMVs were actually pretty decent. CDs were expensive. Anyway, point is as a young IDM fan back then I pretty much only heard the music after I had bought it. Compared to the limited range of IDM a teenager could buy/hear in the mid to late 90s, Aphex was always mindblowing. The On singles, ICBYD, SAW2, Ventolin EPs, RDJ album, CtD and windowlicker was a run of releases that repeatedly reinvented what 'dance' and ambient music sounded like.

And then Druqks. The drill tracks were great but didn't feel like the huge step forward we had been spoiled with on previous releases, especially with venetian snares and squarepusher around and evolving, and the CCAI1/piano tracks were not of interest to people who liked IDM. Or not to the younger me, at least. Even if you were inclined to be open minded to those tracks, the reviewers told you that it was sub- Cage and Satie, and you probably wouldn't have heard the music of those composers or have the means to check them out. You gonna blow £10/15 on a Satie CD because a reviewer mentioned him in a Druqks review and you might better understand what aphex is going for with these compositions? Nah, i wan't into them enough. I guess you might loan a cd from the library (yes, we really did get cds out the library - that's the first way i heard Nirvana albums).

Just like druqks, It took me years to appreciate SAW2. That's sacrilege to most on here i'm sure, but buying an album by someone you considered the best of a bunch that consisted of squarepusher, kid606, the prodigy, chemical brothers, autechre, orbital, etc. and hearing those tracks for the first time when you got home and played the album... tastes were not as diverse back then and music was still pretty tribal! Yeah the reviews described it so you knew not to expect stuff like SAW 85-92 but it was still a departure to say the least. I'm pretty sure there were rumours/articles at the time that SAW2 was a joke on the ambient community. Similarly, the CCAI1/piano stuff on druqks wasn't taken entirely seriously; it was unexpected (we thought Windowlicker signalled the direction of travel), richard was making out it was just a bunch of random tunes he happened to have lost copies of, and the reviewers were saying there was better, more original, contemporary classical compositions that he was imitating. Druqks was an easy album to dismiss. I wish I hadn't and grew to love it, of course.

Well that turned into a garbled meander down cool story bro road. Druqks is a great album (although far from my favourite) but much of the audience for it at the time were perhaps not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. I know I wasn't.

agree with every single word, even taking years to appreciate SAW2 (which maybe the same process has to repeat itself with Syro because I'm iffy on that album)

lovely post 

I embarrassingly confess it was a disappointment for me at the time and I think the lost mp3 player story only made it worse. Made it seem like he just threw a bunch of tracks together to beat a leak. I still think the story was made up to cover how personal and risky the CCAI1/piano stuff was. Maybe he should have told the interviewer that he put his heart and soul into those tracks and wanted to be taken seriously as a composer instead of saying it was some random stuff on an mp3 player that he lost.

At the time, we were used to aphex breaking new ground and every release sounding like pretty much nothing else out there in the mainstream, a mainstream he had broken into. This was before YouTube and the easy internet streaming that has allowed us to hear everything with ease. Back then I would take a punt on an album because it got a good write up in the music press or was on Warp, Rephlex, Planet Mu or tigerbeat6. There was a tiny little rack of electronic music cds in selectadisk on Berwick street in london and the big HMVs were actually pretty decent. CDs were expensive. Anyway, point is as a young IDM fan back then I pretty much only heard the music after I had bought it. Compared to the limited range of IDM a teenager could buy/hear in the mid to late 90s, Aphex was always mindblowing. The On singles, ICBYD, SAW2, Ventolin EPs, RDJ album, CtD and windowlicker was a run of releases that repeatedly reinvented what 'dance' and ambient music sounded like.

And then Druqks. The drill tracks were great but didn't feel like the huge step forward we had been spoiled with on previous releases, especially with venetian snares and squarepusher around and evolving, and the CCAI1/piano tracks were not of interest to people who liked IDM. Or not to the younger me, at least. Even if you were inclined to be open minded to those tracks, the reviewers told you that it was sub- Cage and Satie, and you probably wouldn't have heard the music of those composers or have the means to check them out. You gonna blow £10/15 on a Satie CD because a reviewer mentioned him in a Druqks review and you might better understand what aphex is going for with these compositions? Nah, i wan't into them enough. I guess you might loan a cd from the library (yes, we really did get cds out the library - that's the first way i heard Nirvana albums).

Just like druqks, It took me years to appreciate SAW2. That's sacrilege to most on here i'm sure, but buying an album by someone you considered the best of a bunch that consisted of squarepusher, kid606, the prodigy, chemical brothers, autechre, orbital, etc. and hearing those tracks for the first time when you got home and played the album... tastes were not as diverse back then and music was still pretty tribal! Yeah the reviews described it so you knew not to expect stuff like SAW 85-92 but it was still a departure to say the least. I'm pretty sure there were rumours/articles at the time that SAW2 was a joke on the ambient community. Similarly, the CCAI1/piano stuff on druqks wasn't taken entirely seriously; it was unexpected (we thought Windowlicker signalled the direction of travel), richard was making out it was just a bunch of random tunes he happened to have lost copies of, and the reviewers were saying there was better, more original, contemporary classical compositions that he was imitating. Druqks was an easy album to dismiss. I wish I hadn't and grew to love it, of course.

Well that turned into a garbled meander down cool story bro road. Druqks is a great album (although far from my favourite) but much of the audience for it at the time were perhaps not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. I know I wasn't.

agree with every single word, even taking years to appreciate SAW2 (which maybe the same process has to repeat itself with Syro because I'm iffy on that album)

lovely post

2nd that. Reminding me of a time when I had to make a choice, go out or buy an album, cash wasn’t as readily available, nor was access to previews. Great post man.

So is that jessica @ around :23:00 just before they play nanou2 ? And what was that music they used under her monologue?

Ah, nevermind reddit says this is a woman named "Renáta Opprecht"

Funny mentioning borrowing tapes and cds from local library's. I was a member of Maidenhead and Slough library but their selections were a bit middle of the road tbh. So took a punt on a smaller library tucked away in Burnham where I was expecting to find ELO, Travelling Wilburys and The Eagles. There sitting in the racks was all early recordings of Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, Therapy? (teethgrinder EP), Napalm Death and indeed that grinning face on the front of ICBYD. Jackpot!!

I'll have all of those then please Lady Librarian! 

As far as being disappointed with Drukqs goes, I think I had the same issue with it that I gather many people had with Second Toughest in the Infants: it doesn't matter that it was good, what mattered was that it was in a different style to the hit single that came before it, so it was bound to disappoint because your expectations were too specific.  In hindsight, both are great albums, but it's a hard sell when they're not what people were expecting.

Really, this is a fault with the audience, expecting and wanting more of the same rather than something new and exciting.  The artists want to try out new things, which is a better mindset to have.

Funny mentioning borrowing tapes and cds from local library's. I was a member of Maidenhead and Slough library but their selections were a bit middle of the road tbh. So took a punt on a smaller library tucked away in Burnham where I was expecting to find ELO, Travelling Wilburys and The Eagles. There sitting in the racks was all early recordings of Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth, Therapy? (teethgrinder EP), Napalm Death and indeed that grinning face on the front of ICBYD. Jackpot!!

I lived round that area when I was a lad :) used to rinse out the weirdly large ufo/pseudoarcheology book section in beaconsfield library :D not thought about that place in years

pretty meh. Hurr i got tattoo afix twien... gtfo! not a word aboot the kickstarter and that was kvlt as fukk

and lol, those drukqs reviews are hillarious, what a bunch of dumbasses

I lived round that area when I was a lad :) used to rinse out the weirdly large ufo/pseudoarcheology book section in beaconsfield library :D not thought about that place in years

Still loads of Satan worship going on in Burnham Beeches. PM me if you fancy a guest ticket ; )

pretty meh. Hurr i got tattoo afix twien... gtfo! not a word aboot the kickstarter and that was kvlt as fukk

yep, best part was Tom Middleton IMHO, but no squarepusher or mu ziq itw ? nothing about rephlex, the tuss, analord and everything else ? 

Still loads of Satan worship going on in Burnham Beeches. PM me if you fancy a guest ticket ; )

I feel like I need more information before PMing you, for example what are the chances of me getting human sacrificed in front of a thousand year old oak tree?

drukqs was the tits, if I had been a music reviewer at the time I would’ve given it every star in the known universe (I’ve ranted about Rolling Stone’s 1 star review of it here before so I won’t repeat myself). Will have to give this doc a roll at some point, but between the comments here about the program and the state of music journalism in general I’m skeptical to say the least. I really, really miss John Peel *staring at the stars emoji*

Yeah I've never heard that rumour of Drukqs being 'deliberately a dud album to end the contract' - That was never a thing was it ?!

maxresdefault.jpg

I had definitely heard that rumor about the 26 mixes for cash- it was a quick remix album to get him out of his contract 

No; as mentioned, 26 Mixes was WARP trying to beat another label on releasing a similar compilation (since all the remixes rights were held by other labels, anybody really could have put it out).

Yeah I've never heard that rumour of Drukqs being 'deliberately a dud album to end the contract' - That was never a thing was it ?!

maxresdefault.jpg

I had definitely heard that rumor about the 26 mixes for cash- it was a quick remix album to get him out of his contract

maybe I'm wrong but I remember reading it was actually Warp trying to get it out asap to beat a 'bootleg' release a la 1972's Aphex reissues

Yep.

jasondonervan - your new AV is perfect.

It's Pitchfork-level bad that Drukqs got such shit from the media at release. Whilst Aphex isn't my favourite artist, Drukqs is a record that I regard as incredibly influential on me and one of the best albums ever made.

The decision to intersperse the drill tracks with prepared piano pieces was genius then and is genius now.

Joyrex, you were fucking way off the packet of biscuits to say it was just "quite good". You asked for custard creams when you should've asked for Choco Leibniz.

Again, the 'quite good' comment was me (despite years of being immersed in British culture and language) not understanding the nuances of the term.

But, if I am being honest, it's not even in my top 10 Aphex Twin releases - there's only a handful of tracks that I like from the album. Just my opinion.

eh? wasn't the lost mp3 player business for 26 mixes for cash?

Nope, that was Richard-hype for DrukQs.

Nah was for drukqs

Yep.

Well, opinions... but I think it deserved more praise than it got.

yep, best part was Tom Middleton IMHO, but no squarepusher or mu ziq itw ? nothing about rephlex, the tuss, analord and everything else ? 

I am sure they had to cut a LOT of material from a lot of notable folks... perhaps they can do an extended version?

oof

You're going to get the next album delayed with that kinda' speak!  :catrage:  :catsob:

Well, that's really sad if the singular opinion of one insignificant fan would delay an album release...

Then again, one insignificant fan did manage to bring the Caustic Window LP out of the shadows... perhaps I should shut up! :dadjoke:

maxresdefault.jpg

oh jesus fuck who is this kid? I need to watch this.

EDIT: watched video is good. I laughed out loud at 4:49 

Archived