IGNORED

I just cannot get into Syro

ulul

I love Syro. Also a big fan of Cheetah EP but can't get fully into Collapse. In my case it takes usually some time before I can give a definitive judgement about new afx stuff, but maybe it's time to say that Collapse won't become my all time favorite release of his. Need to point out that when it comes to post-syro aphex world I find the whole hype machine rummaging around basically anything Rich does little cringe worthy. Can't help it, but for some reason it does push me away from the afx phenomenon these days. Wouldn't care otherwise, but have noticed that it has once or twice kept me from fully enjoying post-syro aphex. But who the fuck cares, at least reddit kids love it. :unsure:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody in the Aphex subreddit once said that they missed the repetition in the early Aphex tracks, that Richard proved from the outset that he had a knack for making incredibly satisfying yet very simple music. I think that's a fair point.

I absolutely adore drukqs and the restlessness of the tracks has always been a positive quality to me, but I can't help but feel that one of the main reasons tracks like Xtal or Ptolemy or Acrid Avid Jam Shred are more enjoyable to me is because they take the time to settle into a groove before moving on to the next phase. SteppingFilter 101 is a perfect example of this in later-period Aphex.

I'd love if Richard brought out an album of solid, laid back tunes where he wasn't trying to mutate everything constantly. His obsession with making every bar different from the last started out as a strength but I feel that it's slowly turned into a weakness.

It's a great album but not as good as drukqs...so difficult to put into words but drukqs almost feels like a physical space I can go to and explore. Does that make any sense at all? Like my brain has somehow accidentally classified it as a geographical place rather than a bit of music. All my fave bits of music feel a bit like that, and syro doesn't for me. But it's still amazing. This is my wanky post for 2019

Yeah I get a similar feeling with drukqs. What sets it apart for me is that it doesn't really sound like something made on a computer. When I listen to some of the drukqs tracks I almost act them out because the sounds feel like RDJ physically made them with real world objects. Like he walked around just recording things in the physical world and just arranged them into sequences.

Syro sounds 100% like it was labored over in a studio, which I know drukqs obviously was too, but it doesn't feel like that.

syro is amazing.  starts off with the manchester track and metz track that yall were jizzing over for a decade, with versions that live up to the hype.  And imo those arent even the highlights of the album.

also at people trying to neatly summarize post-syro aphex.. hes still all over the map> deejay selek, ccai, cheetah, field day, the singles and bonus tracks, collapse.. none are really alike

also at people trying to neatly summarize post-syro aphex.. hes still all over the map> deejay selek, ccai, cheetah, field day, the singles and bonus tracks, collapse.. none are really alike

ccai and a couple of tracks on field day yea.. the rest sounds all very samey to me.

edit: esp in contrast to how his sound varied yet stayed aphex b4 that

ccai and a couple of tracks on field day yea.. the rest sounds all very samey to me.

edit: esp in contrast to how his sound varied yet stayed aphex b4 that

I think it has to do with his chosen analogue sound palette. it's why collapse I think is a good sign. It shows he's finally inching out of the comfort zone he's been in since analord.  I'd like to hear him make music on a computer again. The glitches and stuff on Windowlicker EP is a good example of when he's trying to flex sound design muscles to the max verses trying to keep it simple with hardware.

I do kind of get it. I think his analord to syro and some of collapse... stuff is more compositionally based where he can't rely on samples nearly as much as he was doing since RDJ album to Drukqs.

Syro is a stream of consciousness/through-piece way of composing music. It's very colorful and often plays with contradicting sound palettes.

The fact that each track was recorded in one take is evidence enough to be impressed with it.

Syro is a stream of consciousness/through-piece way of composing music. It's very colorful and often plays with contradicting sound palettes.

The fact that each track was recorded in one take is evidence enough to be impressed with it.

well no, because I'm too autistic to just sit back and appreciate something unless it conforms exactly to my expectations.

very samey

err...no. does you has ears?

brisbot nailed it when he said it had to do with his sound palette, not only that but similar tempo, structure etc.. add any track from collapse into syro and id say it could fit there perfectly

try doing the same with any two albums pre syro.. take the example of bucephallus bouncing ball and acrid avid jam shred that the op mentioned, how similar do those two things sound relative to any two tracks post syro? that's what I'm on about

well no, because I'm too autistic to just sit back and appreciate something unless it conforms exactly to my expectations.

hey is not like I don't appreciate it or have a problem with artists doing whatever they decide to do, is all fine.. great music.

I'm trying to nail down why it is that some of us simply don't "get into" the last 5 yrs of aphex.

In my case the reason is that I'm attracted to that push for new ideas that characterized rich' s work pre syro.. after that to me it all sounds like the same ideas but rearranged release after release, impressive? sure.. good music? definetly.. do i have a problem with him to keep doing it? not at all, he can do whatever.. point is I won't be "getting into it" esp when there's so much other stuff out there that keeps the genuine idm spirit alive

so yeah, autism

On 2/1/2019 at 3:12 AM, hello spiral said:

A lot of it sounds like cop show dad funk now. 

you know what man, i know we've had our ups and downs, but i am 1000% with you on this. 

I mean most people I know would say spotify top hits > cop show dad funk

u know, it's all subjective

edit: yo spi when is the cop show dad funk comp by chatmm coming out?

We have 2 good comp ideas atm, so that's now three!!

Archived