IGNORED

Watmm's Drone Club

Lachesi

On 11/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, droid said:

I'd highly recommend  this release. Saw a live performance of it a few years back that was overwhelmingly good:

God I love donnacha’s work so much. 

@droid where do you see modern classical like A Winged Victory for the Sullen/Stars of the Lid or some of Terry Riley’s work fitting in to the “drone” genre?

On 11/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, droid said:

This may be of interest:

Maaaan linked you up here ASAP, shows have remarkable quality of music that comes from a lifetime spent digging through crates. One of a necessary batch of resources excavating outdoors!

On 11/11/2019 at 4:58 PM, droid said:

Thanks. Yeah, its the culmination of many years of ambient and drone obsessions. 

Didn't mean to spam, but it was literally the first thread I saw and it seemed relevant.

Great choices BTW, Kyema is an all time fave.

Almost too much great drone to recommend individual releases... here's one very special tune though, devastating at high volume. Recommended if you want to destroy the minds of a large number of people at once:

As good as drone gets. Of the 2 lp volumes, that track has it all. Music as transportation.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:20 PM, Lachesi said:
On 11/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, droid said:

I'd highly recommend  this release. Saw a live performance of it a few years back that was overwhelmingly good:

First got into Donnacha via D1, quite a journey with tracks that fill out to another level on a good live system. 

On 11/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, chenGOD said:

God I love donnacha’s work so much. 

@droid where do you see modern classical like A Winged Victory for the Sullen/Stars of the Lid or some of Terry Riley’s work fitting in to the “drone” genre?

I was suspicious of the indie/postrock ambient thing for far too long, though a  good friend of mine was a huge fan of the aforementioned, and Godspeed and the like. STOL have made some very serious and genuinely great ambient records and in general I think that whole scene has produced some very good music and pushed some boundaries.

Riley sits up there as a one of the pioneers of minimalism, hugely influential, though a lot of his work falls more under the banner of serialism than sustained tone. I think perhaps one of his most important cultural innovations was the integration of Indian musical philosophy into the avant garde, a move that also connected minimalism with probably the most enduring and long lived drone tradition.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 8:16 PM, cwmbrancity said:

Maaaan linked you up here ASAP, shows have remarkable quality of music that comes from a lifetime spent digging through crates. One of a necessary batch of resources excavating outdoors!

First got into Donnacha via D1, quite a journey with tracks that fill out to another level on a good live system. 

Yes! I saw that, and thank you for the kind words, undeserved of course.

We did a special on Donnacha a while ago. Spent ages trying to get him into the studio, but ended up doing it over the phone, despite the fact that he only lives about 15 miles away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@droid Cheers for the DC mix, that’s Sunday’s mountain mission sorted.

With your own mixes and so many others up on MC, found working away that there’s nothing like solid drone mixes to focus the mind & write with into the wee smalls hours. Hard to articulate, something about tone & rich harmonics, like flossing the head out if that makes any sense. Meditation through sound purging. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Dug up this beauty from the record collection:

Sleeve comes with schematics (oscillator 1 goes into oscillator 2, that sort of thing). Record is transparent vinyl with *glitter*.

• Like 3