IGNORED

MESHUGGAH

Zephyr_Nova

These guys definitely warrant their own thread, given they're pretty much in a league of their own in the metal echelon.  Every album gets better with each listen.  Every aspect of their music is arranged and executed at the highest level - even the lyrics are well thought out, and fit the musical aesthetic perfectly.  They probably further my understanding of groove/rhythm more than any other other artist (at this late point in my music listening career). Basically I'm just filled with awe any time I dig into their catalogue.  They are true artists who consistently push the entire culture forward... and I'm not even being hyperbolic.

The drum arrangement on Clockworks is astonishing to me.  Transition just before the 4 minute point is especially slick.

The music is really awesome. But those vocals always annoy the hell out of me. Not just in Meshuggah but in every metal band. Shame. I'd really enjoy this otherwise.

I think his vocals fit the tone of the music perfectly.  A lot of screamy metal vocalists sound cheesy/absurd to me, but he actually sounds like darkness personified when he does it.  The atonality in this case is totally complimentary.  It would be cool to hear him sing-scream in parts, as I think that would sound fucking awesome, and only add to the intensity.  I seem to recall he IS actually quite capable as a melodic vocalist (there's some on the earliest albums if I'm not mistaken?  Been a while since I listened to the pre-Nothing stuff).  Still hopeful they'll explore that on a future album... but it's unlikely.

I saw them live in 2004 during the "proto HellFest" (aka Furyfest in Le Mans) . It's a nice band but not the kind of stuff I love in metal (more of a black / death listener) 

Yeah before I became some IDM Ninja I was a Metal Ninja. This is one of those bands that kind of slipped into the Metal Zone when I left the Metal Zone. 

I've tried to get into them(since leaving the Metal Zone) but as always with metal bands it boils down to the vocals. I'm weary and I know I need to go to bed, but I know this is like another band Neurosis. Everythings fine until the bearded bald boring fat man starts his emotionless screaming. I hate it. Absolutely hate it. 

I think people like these bands because no doubt they have superior musicianship, and technical ability. But then the Bearded Bald Boring Fat Man opens his mouth? It kills it dead. Kind of similar to a grown man in his 40's screeching like a wounded goblin.

I know I'm old fashioned but I like my metal vocalists with some sort of ability. A few days ago I was watching a live version of Triptykon with an orchestra do Rex Irae (from Into The Pandemonium), and TGW vocals are next level. Wow.

I just don't care what this dude is screaming about. It's about as interesting as watching paint dry.

(sorry) (love and light)

Meshuggah rules. sometimes bland from overassault tho, but i get why that happens given what they are.

vocals are the weakest part of the band perhaps, save maybe the bass. and the vocals in general have zero emotional impact, which is almost always what people expect from vocals...so it stands out as particularly jarring (even in the context of a band so jarring from basically all perspectives). tho when the vocals do get emotional or impactful it shows how good the vocals could be if things were done differently. at least that's my take on it.

Insane band, been a fan since Contradictions. Saw them twice in 1994, then a bunch of times through the years. Used to know them a little, visited them a couple of times in Umeå and Stockholm. Super chill and funny guys, lots of good jokes and music geekdom. 

^definitely understand the reason for that robotic-ish approach in the context of the music, yeah. still think it's done weakly and too much....when he strays from that basic thing (or even when the drummer does vocals on occasion) there's some amount of variety, and that's good. 

that said those layered screams at the start of I are fucking dope. love that track all around for that matter. underrated. gonna blast it right now.

2 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Honestly don't get the hate for the vox in meshuggah . Anyone who says they want singing in meshuggah should listen to periphery and hang their head in shame 

Exactly. Before their first "breakthrough" album, I remember listening to instrumental demos of Periphery and getting really excited for it, but fuck man...I dont think metal vocals get any worse than that for me. Who in the right mind thought that was the way to go?

And Jens' vocals are great! He really nails that middle ground of the sing-to-incomprehensible-scream spectrum. I think it's got serious mass appeal, which in part I imagine is why they've stayed so popular for so long.

Besides, if you really cant stand vocals in your djent, just listen to Animals As Leaders.

Meshuggah is great, heard the rhythm guitarist is super into Squarepusher and Autechre

Funny story, a few years ago when I was in college my buddy who's a metalhead was friends with the cafeteria ladies and they let him play music through the cafeteria loudspeakers, he starts blasting Meshuggah and he hears some ditzy college girl say "Why would anyone create this?" ?

Wooo Hoooo!!

Woke up this morning, streams of pure sunshine, an endless clear blue sky, the tree outside my window glimmering and shimmering green and gold and zero hangover! Perfecto!

Everything in the world is fine and dandy. Check my phone ahhh yes some very funny banter with my friends on WhatsApp yesterday. Cool. Think to myself I'll head over to watmm!! Just imagine if there's some news of a new Aphex EP or something of that ilk? That would be most splendid! And also I'm doing quite well lately over there as I seem to not be posting any silly full moon drunken rants of late (which as you know are brilliant and totally on the ball at the time but over the course of time being fast asleep and waking up have most definitely metamorphized into something else entirely). Ahh no news of King Richard of Cornwall. Lets pop over to the General Music Discussion sub forum. And there it is the word MESHUGGAH started by that lovely chap Zephyr Nova. And then I sharply wince and grimace as I remember ?

Meshuggah is nice in doses. Things get a bit samey at times, but they are none the less talented musicians. Don't get bothered by the vocals. I used to be averse to the growly/screechy vocals, but I got used to it since diving back into metal the last couple of years. There are so many talented bands out there and each have their own take on the stuff that have come before and are not afraid to experiment, so opting out just because not liking the vocal style would lead to missing out on kick ass music. I do prefer instrumental tracks still.

13 hours ago, beer badger said:

I've tried to get into them(since leaving the Metal Zone) but as always with metal bands it boils down to the vocals. I'm weary and I know I need to go to bed, but I know this is like another band Neurosis. Everythings fine until the bearded bald boring fat man starts his emotionless screaming. I hate it. Absolutely hate it. 

I think people like these bands because no doubt they have superior musicianship, and technical ability. But then the Bearded Bald Boring Fat Man opens his mouth? It kills it dead. Kind of similar to a grown man in his 40's screeching like a wounded goblin.

You put it much better than I could have. Thank you.

Bearded bald boring fat men screaming. That’s exactly what’s wrong with metal as a genre. It’s ridiculous.

29 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

probably my fav track by them

same. i mean obvious hit is obvious, dat ending / solo... ?

meshuggah=legend fo sho. haven't been following as much after catch or so, tbh i felt they got somewhat samey after that but hey, not like they'd have much left to prove by now. carved their very own niche (and a whole subgenre in the process), so i guess it's cool to keep exploiting that... would still go see them live anytime.

btw this is me whenever i have to read kidman dis:

image.jpeg.e5a3fc04f22a08295bcea61308d24b27.jpeg

10 hours ago, psn said:

Contradictions

pretty incredible for a debut, always thought it sounded kinda like a more advanced version of justice for all. it'd be funny if they'd go back exploring that path, has anyone else since? also bring back them gang vokills! XD

36 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Bearded bald boring fat men screaming. That’s exactly what’s wrong with metal as a genre. It’s ridiculous.

but

19 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

same. i mean obvious hit is obvious, dat ending / solo... ?

meshuggah=legend fo sho. haven't been following as much after catch or so, tbh i felt they got somewhat samey after that but hey, not like they'd have much left to prove by now. carved their very own niche (and a whole subgenre in the process), so i guess it's cool to keep exploiting that... would still go see them live anytime.

btw this is me whenever i have to read kidman dis:

image.jpeg.e5a3fc04f22a08295bcea61308d24b27.jpeg

pretty incredible for a debut, always thought it sounded kinda like a more advanced version of justice for all. it'd be funny if they'd go back exploring that path, has anyone else since? also bring back them gang vokills! XD

but

Yes, their music clearly takes its roots in trash metal, I remember my friends who were into Metallica and Slayer freaked out the first time they heard Meshuggah, like "Fuck ! this is the real stuff, next level ! "

1 hour ago, jaderpansen said:

but

Exactly! CC is the AJFA follow up that I waited three years in vain for.

Confessor is brilliant, and they were pioneers in developing that 80s King Crimson poly meter thing into a metal expression (along with Meshuggah of course).

Archived