IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

^^^^  that's the 'stays at home' wheelchair that's used when they transfer a wheelchair bound person onto the toilet. 

i worked for a hospice for a few years and we had to order medical equipment all the time and that's one of the things ordered quite often.  sometimes there's a version of that chair that has a toilet seat on it and a whole in the chair and a chamber pot below. 

the more you know!

You turned your back on the mighty and holy QuadraVerb?

Heathen!

Alas, my setup and workflow encourage using only plugs for effects (aside from spring reverb recorded during production itself, sometimes inside a patch rather than at the end). I think most people would be hard pushed to tell what anyone's using anyway, let alone care. So I barely used my QuadraVerb, U-220 or DrumStation, so Nina insisted I get rid of them, which admittedly was a sensible move. I also sold a bunch of modules I wasn't using, including a Metasonix one. I'm more than happy with my current rig though.

Which is now this (plus 808 style maracas I haven't installed yet, because I've been too busy writing):

CzA1ujPXgAAs3HX.jpg

Edited by ZoeB

You turned your back on the mighty and holy QuadraVerb?

Heathen!

Alas, my setup and workflow encourage using only plugs for effects (aside from spring reverb recorded during production itself, sometimes inside a patch rather than at the end). I think most people would be hard pushed to tell what anyone's using anyway, let alone care. So I barely used my QuadraVerb, U-220 or DrumStation, so Nina insisted I get rid of them, which admittedly was a sensible move. I also sold a bunch of modules I wasn't using, including a Metasonix one. I'm more than happy with my current rig though.

Which is now this (plus 808 style maracas I haven't installed yet, because I've been too busy writing):

CzA1ujPXgAAs3HX.jpg

That setup looks amazing!

post-19174-0-13335000-1483231124_thumb.jpg

Still need to clean the faders on the left hand control board and bender board, and the replacement switch and button/fader caps are in the mail, but all of the other "broken" stuff that made it cost way less than a Juno 6 usually goes for these days turned out to just be a few very dirty (so dirty the read as open on the multimeter!) faders, an hour or so with canned air, cleaner and fader lube brought it all back and it works perfectly.  Even with all the parts, the canned air and the Tubbutec mod I'm about to order, it's still going to clock in at about $100 less than a Deepmind 12 but a lot more than $100 cooler.

I take back everything I ever said about Junos being overrated, I just hadn't had one around in way too long (and was a little bitter that I thought I'd missed my chance to get one at a non-extortionate price).  The filter sounds so nice, the chorus sound somehow both colder and lusher than the chorus on my RS-09 (which is also really nice but more different than I remembered) and it really is impossible to make it sound bad.

Also got the Korg i30 for $50 and the little Mackie for free this summer, so all in all not a bad year.

Edited by RSP

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, yes it's great fun but also the reason I never really see sunlight anymore, my teeth are sharper and I get urge for blood.

No sadly it's the Semblance V.2. I call the grey version V.1. I would really love to get my hands on a Nyborg, I like that sub osc. A big fan of Analogue Solutions.

I used to have a Telemark V.1 but sadly I had a few bad years so I had to sell it, and the Semblance doesn't seem to sound quite the same.

To be honest it took a lot of years to get this stuff put together and lot's of late hours at work.

Recently got a Tetra, man this thing is great, sounds like a boosted Matrix1000 with more bass and snappy EG's.

The filter can be a little dull but not in a bad way, just very CEM sounding, I like CEM

Guest Chesney

Ah nice! I like AS stuff too, have a LeipzigS keyboard, it's amazing.

I had tetra, didn't like it much, found that and the Mopho tedious and a little flat from the raw sound. Could do some real nice stuff though if dug hard.

Oh I meant to write MFB 502, it like that machine a lot, but the 522 is good as well. They are just very hard to come by today.

I agree with you they do sound a little flat, but with a little chorus and turn up the "DCO instability" and it starts to sound like something. It's a neat little trick that DSI implementet. Also the new OS is really great.

Guest Chesney

yeah the slop does help loads. That's a really good thing about their Prophet 6, that too is underwhelming at first but glorious at the same time if that makes sense?

Mostly Renoise, I can use my Launchpads as step sequencers. But of course the controllers are more 'Ableton minded' so I play the abeltonz once in a while. I want to stop buying these plastic controllers and invest my money in a modular rack - but the price difference is what kills me, haha.

Mostly Renoise, I can use my Launchpads as step sequencers. But of course the controllers are more 'Ableton minded' so I play the abeltonz once in a while. I want to stop buying these plastic controllers and invest my money in a modular rack - but the price difference is what kills me, haha.

Nice. I'm a big Ableton user but I've been itching to play with some other things lately, just to see what else is out there/make sure I'm not stuck in 'one way' of thinking, you know? Renoise looks pretty powerful for what it is, but the tracker thing is something I never gelled with the once or twice years ago that I tried it out. Maybe worth revisiting.

It's hard to save up to really get into modular stuff, no doubt. Luckily there's some starter drugs that are becoming more popular (0 Coast, Mother 32, etc.) and relatively affordable. Save up for one of those! Shit's expensive in general though, I can't imagine ever having the money/time/space to put into it unless I was making music for a living...lol like that's possible anymore.

yeah the slop does help loads. That's a really good thing about their Prophet 6, that too is underwhelming at first but glorious at the same time if that makes sense?

Yeah the p6 slop parameter is implemented correctly: a random detuning/instability. It sounds really good. It doesn't work the same on the tempest and that infuriates me. All it does is a random phase thing.

To get tuning instability you have to assign a very slow, random lfo to freq and set it to wave reset. But the range stops being pleasing at about a depth of 3-4. P6 slop has a much more nuanced zone.

These days I'm pretty happy with the "error" parameter on ableton analog.

• 2 weeks later...

tO3sopt.jpg

patch bay + using external fx as sends in ableton is game changer—makes me realize the waldorf 2pole is really a special thing.

also have mic and guitar cable ready whenever i need it. not doing tons of MIDI sync right now because i'm sequencing a bunch of songs, but having ableton ready as midi hub is great for jams. getting good recordings of those jams is another matter.

having dedicated routing for the tape deck (bottom right) for when i need to bounce also makes me feel like an adult. rack cabinet is ikea RAST hack

Edited by sheathe

Korg MS2000B

my first synth. miss the old girl :(

more specifically the first synth i ever paid for myself...

had/borrowed some stuff before hand.

Nice. I'm a big Ableton user but I've been itching to play with some other things lately, just to see what else is out there/make sure I'm not stuck in 'one way' of thinking, you know? Renoise looks pretty powerful for what it is, but the tracker thing is something I never gelled with the once or twice years ago that I tried it out. Maybe worth revisiting.

It's hard to save up to really get into modular stuff, no doubt. Luckily there's some starter drugs that are becoming more popular (0 Coast, Mother 32, etc.) and relatively affordable. Save up for one of those! Shit's expensive in general though, I can't imagine ever having the money/time/space to put into it unless I was making music for a living...lol like that's possible anymore.

renoise has really good youtube tutorials that can get you up and running in under an hour. it def looks a bit impenetrable to a new user i think tho