AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Autechre Sean pls Rob pls Bull Wallet Stoya Bike The Mates The chre lel toplel

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4023 replies to this topic

#2701 Wurstwasser

Wurstwasser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • 53 topics
  • Joined 28-November 09

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:09 AM

Talking about singing - never thought about a Björk collab? After all her stuff especially with Plaid I guess she's some sort of heroine for us... Or is a singing voice in your tracks - impossible?

#2702 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

on lp5 was there any conscious reference to bucephalus bouncing ball? the end of vose in always sounded slightly reminiscent of the end of bbb and drane2 obv has a "bouncing ball" effect.

it's possible I'm making the connection nostalgically since I got lp5 and come to daddy around the same time but still wonder if there was anything deliberate there.

yeah we did the track drane, which had that exponential speeding-up delay thing happening, and then rich did that bouncing ball track, and we answered it with drane2 which was the same delay trick but feeding percussion into it instead, as a kind of tease

he said he made a bouncing ball revenge track to it once but i guess he didn't release it, prob cos we all got better things to do than get into a tricks war  :gamer:

#2703 olo

olo

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1026 posts
  • 4 topics
  • Joined 04-June 13
  • Interests:Frequency

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

Sean/Rob,

Do you think of the many influx of new members due to this thread, one of these new members is Cylob?

#2704 Jev

Jev

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

If there were to be a Nord Modular G3, what changes would you like to see?

A commitment to support their editor software even after the unit goes out of production?

yeah this

The Stereolab remix is awesome, how did it come about?  Are you fans of theirs or did they approach you or what?

Curious about this.

they asked us, i think they liked our tracks and wanted a version, was good fun to make, and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate.

I feel embarrassed but can you (or anyone) please re-write this sentence to standard english so I can understand it better? I am not a native and idioms and slang are problem. Thank you. "and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate"

and we managed to include some of the drumming outtakes they included on the DAT they supplied us with; and her singing, of which i am a huge fan

Well, it indeed turned out to have different meaning than I thought it had :D Thanks, Sean.

Edited by Jev, 06 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#2705 triachus

triachus

eeeuheeeu mla zi dahinda foooow, wif hugh

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6324 posts
  • 104 topics
  • Joined 12-April 06

shameless push

This page on whosampled.com:

http://www.whosample...rch/?q=autechre

Is it accurate? If not, where?

Any other things that should be added?

Spoiler

*slight shame*

#2706 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Talking about singing - never thought about a Björk collab? After all her stuff especially with Plaid I guess she's some sort of heroine for us... Or is a singing voice in your tracks - impossible?

dunno i mean she has to be the boss from what i understand

might work, but in practice i dunno how deferential we would be, it's not in our collective nature

#2707 telefunken

telefunken

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • 18 topics
  • Joined 23-February 08
  • Interests:Sound, graphics and alkaloids

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Mailman-kicks-glass-door.gif

what sample rate do you use, when synthesizing and mixing?

you were mentioning renoise native reverb in 2008, in article ('easy to be hard' @ remixmag) about gear used in Quaristice, saying that it sounds very 'grey'. do you remember which one of two (Reverb or mpReverb) and in which track off Quaristice? can you give some hints on this?

what do you think about mr. oizo's post-'moustache' output? did you saw his recent films?

thank you!

#2708 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

shameless push

Spoiler

*slight shame*

that recury one's wrong

Sean/Rob,

Do you think of the many influx of new members due to this thread, one of these new members is Cylob?

that would be nice, and it's certainly possible

#2709 synthesizerpatel

synthesizerpatel

• Restricted
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 06-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Are the only eurorack modules you're using from Analogue Systems? If so, what features are you looking for in order to expand your eurorack rig or replace current AS modules?

bump

#2710 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

ok cant find my old question on here but was wondering if u guys ever upgraded to a pacarana or still messing with kyma language ??> :) 

nah i gave my capybara to bola

#2711 purlieu

purlieu

Outlaw the death penalty for the free coat transsexual

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:18 AM

How about a Gescom vocal album? Lisa Gerrard, Liz Fraser and Gza. Be great. Get Nicola Roberts in for the single.

#2712 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

No answers ;( ......... my juno 6 & korg delta are sittin by a bath contemplating life or not wrkin..    

lol sorry mate, i keep half expecting SB to have named this already as I'm still 3 pages from the edge…..

your juno6 is called Robert Mcall

your korg is called Freddie Laker 

#2713 purlieu

purlieu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:20 AM

That last question was the result of a combination of too much coffee and pop music today.

#2714 nizzleone

nizzleone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • 1 topics
  • Joined 09-March 11

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

That track on Across Uneven Terrain is uncharacteristically straight up techno (and some fine fine techno imho), how did that come about? Do you guys listen to an current techno producers?

#2715 lumpenprol

lumpenprol

2K, On My Way

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9624 posts
  • 134 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

please no guest vocals unless you warp and degrade them mercilessly

when making Oversteps, was there even a small element of it being a reaction against those folks who had been saying "they forgot how to make nice melodies"? Or were you just following your muse as per usual?

Edit: btw that tale about Bucephalus Bouncing Ball vs. Drane 2 is fantastic!

(Drane 2 is one of my absolute faves)

Edited by lumpenprol, 06 November 2013 - 11:25 AM.

#2716 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:25 AM

A couple more while you're thinking up some to questions for us...

Amber is your only sleeve with seemingly untreated photography, is this something you would consider going back to, or do you think abstract/generated art is the bet visual interpretation of your music?

Any thoughts on the midlands? North and south England seem to have strong identities, but us midlanders seem to get forgotten about.

Also, been stuck in a creative rut lately, but all yr talk of enjoying jamming tracks has really inspired me into doing stuff like that and I'm pretty happy with all, definitely needed to stop thinking about the result and just get lost in the moment. So thanks for that!

nah brumes get the love from above and below, whereas top and bottom hate each other no?

#2717 Jev

Jev

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

when making Oversteps, was there even a small element of it being a reaction against those folks who had been saying "they forgot how to make nice melodies"? Or were you just following your muse as per usual?

Good question. Interested too.

#2718 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

The Stereolab remix is awesome, how did it come about?  Are you fans of theirs or did they approach you or what?

Curious about this.

they asked us, i think they liked our tracks and wanted a version, was good fun to make, and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate.

I feel embarrassed but can you (or anyone) please re-write this sentence to standard english so I can understand it better? I am not a native and idioms and slang are problem. Thank you. "and we managed to bang a few offcuts from their real drummer and her singing which i still really rate"

ahem, yeah we're not butchers or anything.

#2719 nth

nth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 18-January 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

#2720 triachus

triachus

eeeuheeeu mla zi dahinda foooow, wif hugh

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6324 posts
  • 104 topics
  • Joined 12-April 06

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

I've found out in this thread you guys have once performed with Fennesz. I'm guessing there are no recordings of it?

Also found this: http://autechre.net....s/article11.htm

What year was that? How did it that you guys performed together, who contacted who?

You said playing with him "went well". Is there a chance you guys might ever do something like that again? Or a collaborated album? Maybe just 1 track even? Fennesz is quite the collaboration beast.

#2721 keltoi

keltoi

-

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11153 posts
  • 385 topics
  • Joined 20-September 06
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

sean, you mentioned the physical toll of touring... d'you mean like all the partying and std's ;) or the travelling and stress of having to be in a certain place, certain time, etc? i guess i'm interested in whether as you get older, you find the late night nature of touring, performing, etc becoming more of a chore? 

what's your perfect 'buzz' for performing? (if anything)

what's your favourite continent and why?

how often (when you're not touring) do you get recognized in the street?

what iyo is the last good orb record? and last good black dog record?

what do think of the roses comeback? 

what would you like for christmas? 

#2722 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

ok cant find my old question on here but was wondering if u guys ever upgraded to a pacarana or still messing with kyma language ??> :) 

answered this earlier but no, our Capybara is with Daz Fitton, Bola

#2723 purlieu

purlieu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • 13 topics
  • Joined 09-February 10

Amber is your only sleeve with seemingly untreated photography, is this something you would consider going back to, or do you think abstract/generated art is the bet visual interpretation of your music?
Any thoughts on the midlands? North and south England seem to have strong identities, but us midlanders seem to get forgotten about.
Also, been stuck in a creative rut lately, but all yr talk of enjoying jamming tracks has really inspired me into doing stuff like that and I'm pretty happy with all, definitely needed to stop thinking about the result and just get lost in the moment. So thanks for that!

nah brumes get the love from above and below, whereas top and bottom hate each other no?

Kinda, though lots hate it for the accent. East Mids gets the most forgotten, Nottingham, Leicester, Derby.

#2724 Rob Ae

Rob Ae

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

shameless push

Spoiler

*slight shame*

yeah this all looks in order. theres much debate as to the original Gangstarr part tho' 

#2725 Sean Ae

Sean Ae

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • 0 topics
  • Joined 02-November 13

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

oversteps - basically we were making algorithms with a view to using them repeatedly, and seeing how flexible we could make them in terms of being able to reuse them in lots of different contexts (making diff styles of music) and it kind of grew out of that

i dunno if we were really successful in achieving our aims (not really, we got very sidetracked and went with it into a different zone) but we liked the result and ended up shaping it further into that kind of oversteps territory

i think we were concentrating on melody, harmony counterpoint and all that cos the rhythm stuff has been second nature for a while, in terms of programming and algos and such, and we thought we might learn more if we came at it from the opposite angle

shameless push

Spoiler

*slight shame*

yeah this all looks in order. theres much debate as to the original Gangstarr part tho' 

did u even check that recury one?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Autechre, Sean pls, Rob pls, Bull Wallet, Stoya, Bike, The Mates, The chre, lel, toplel