IGNORED

bands/artists you can't understand how other people could like

LimpyLoo

How many of you have actually been to a noise show?

I´ve seen Satanstornade once and Russell Haswell solo twice. I got the "candid camera" feeling every time. What puzzels me most about the noise scene is the amount of releases and what seems to be a lack of "quality control" other artists have. In no other genre artists release everything(?) they make. When Merzbow release 10+ album every year, does his fans think his releases are equally good? Or do they rate some albums higher than other? Did he have a golden era? Or did he have a period when his noise wasn´t as good?

Not trying to provoke anyone here. I listen to a lot of experimental music, but the noise scene has always seemed like a tounge-in-cheek-genre for me.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I almost think that if someone can listen to sound and derive emotions from it, it's music. Hell, even if it was the most amateur noise music ever that was completely indistinguishable from kitchen sink rattlings, so long as it got emotion from you it is music to you. Of course, this makes it hard to differentiate a good speech from music, but maybe they shouldn't be separated as much as we think they are anyway. Spoken word pushes this boundary.

Guest Phonejack

I almost think that if someone can listen to sound and derive emotions from it, it's music. Hell, even if it was the most amateur noise music ever that was completely indistinguishable from kitchen sink rattlings, so long as it got emotion from you it is music to you. Of course, this makes it hard to differentiate a good speech from music, but maybe they shouldn't be separated as much as we think they are anyway. Spoken word pushes this boundary.

The word music is like the word art, it's a useful blanket term when referring to many different creative fields, but at the end of the day it's meaningless and has zero effect on the creative product. It might as well be used for anything or not be used at all.

I can't really think of anything. I think the music I dislike most I dislike specifically because I know why someone would like it, and I think those reasons are stupid.

This is how to dislike the music that you dislike.

Intense empathy.

Music does not equal noise.

I could just scream and shout random things and sequence them, that's not artistic. That's retardation.

No offense but I think there is a massive reason that merzbow has 2309450109421098410408 albums and it's not because he's prolific, it's because it's random noise. People can try and justify it any way they want.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just seriously don't understand how anyone can consider it anything but random noise. And I don't consider that skillful... Maybe I'm too stupid to understand merzbow, maybe it's a higher level than what I can understand (lol).

NOISE, by definition, is not music. This is not WATNM...

This opinion is like a conservative art academic in the 50's judging Jackson Pollock's paintings. Merzbow is music's Jackson Pollock (actually, more Kurt Schwitters of course, but it has the same postmodern art approach). Music can be primitive, abstract and 'retarded' as well. It can be 'anything, anytime, anyplace for no reason at all'.

The only music I don't understand people like is the most known pop music, not because I don't like the music per se, but I'm just really bewildered by the fact that so many people never even bothered to find out if there's something better then Coldplay. They just swallow everything that's being thrown before their eyes/ears and just leave it at that. In my perfect world, everyone would be a music snob.

i believe that i understand everything about the matter; that's what's makes me feel so misanthropic sometimes and i hate it! those are the days when nietzsche speaks through me

Music does not equal noise.

I could just scream and shout random things and sequence them, that's not artistic. That's retardation.

No offense but I think there is a massive reason that merzbow has 2309450109421098410408 albums and it's not because he's prolific, it's because it's random noise. People can try and justify it any way they want.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just seriously don't understand how anyone can consider it anything but random noise. And I don't consider that skillful... Maybe I'm too stupid to understand merzbow, maybe it's a higher level than what I can understand (lol).

NOISE, by definition, is not music. This is not WATNM...

This opinion is like a conservative art academic in the 50's judging Jackson Pollock's paintings. Merzbow is music's Jackson Pollock (actually, more Kurt Schwitters of course, but it has the same postmodern art approach). Music can be primitive, abstract and 'retarded' as well. It can be 'anything, anytime, anyplace for no reason at all'.

The only music I don't understand people like is the most known pop music, not because I don't like the music per se, but I'm just really bewildered by the fact that so many people never even bothered to find out if there's something better then Coldplay. They just swallow everything that's being thrown before their eyes/ears and just leave it at that. In my perfect world, everyone would be a music snob.

yes!

Xiu Xiu

Yes.

RE: Merzbow

I get why people don't understand or don't like him, but I also get why some are huge fans.

A lot of noise is pretentious bullshit and a lot is truly sincere experimental music, and a lot falls in-between. Merzbow's discography covers that spectrum. Prolific artists like him (or Jandek or Muslimgauze) commit just about everything to do to recording, they just happen to release most of it and their fans perpetually buy it.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The Eagles

Lady Gaga

They all have one or two songs I dig. Their greater popularity confounds me as well.

Can't think of anything. All humans are extremely strange & weird. No single human being is normal. So they each like what they like for whatever reasons they feel. And none can ever be faulted for this.

My thing about 'Snares, and this applies to any artist, is his use of vocal samples. Ruins the ambience. Unless you're a true pro with the vocal samples (Steve Reich, Brian Eno, etc.) let the music be the focus, not a sample of someone's grandma reciting the pledge of allegiance

huh????

since when does steve reich use vocal samples? or brian eno? What? like they.... use.... vocalists? that sing?

I'm so confused.

I actually think vsnares has some great vocal samples (that aren't vocalists)

http://youtu.be/u-lY9qY8vuo

My thing about 'Snares, and this applies to any artist, is his use of vocal samples. Ruins the ambience. Unless you're a true pro with the vocal samples (Steve Reich, Brian Eno, etc.) let the music be the focus, not a sample of someone's grandma reciting the pledge of allegiance

huh????

since when does steve reich use vocal samples? or brian eno? What? like they.... use.... vocalists? that sing?

I'm so confused.

I actually think vsnares has some great vocal samples (that aren't vocalists)

http://youtu.be/u-lY9qY8vuo

I guess I meant in the vein of vocal sampling (repetition of the same chant), but both used vocal samples frequently (Reich basically popularizing vocal samples being musical). That being said I see what you mean and vocal samples dont ruin everything for me, it just seems more often than not that is the case.

Five Finger Death Punch. Just...ugh. So fucking awful. And they have to keep ruining legitimately good songs with their shitty covers too. Anyone who seriously thinks that they make heavy music has absolutely no exposure to anything outside the realm of commercialized radio.

suggesting that merzbow's music is just 'random noise' is completely ignorant. this isn't even an opinion thing. it is misunderstanding what 'random' and 'noise' mean by pure definition.

and to answer the previous question, stars of the lid are an amazing ambient group that are incredibly relaxing

It's not ignorant at all. I've tried listening to it several times and I might as well just throw some kitchen utensils in a blender. Even a quick google search on the words "noise" and "music" will show you that I'm not mis-interpreting anything. Music needs certain components which Merzbow simply does not have in his "noise".

Or maybe I'm not an advanced enough music listener to "get it", sorry. Great, some people enjoy it, all the power to you guys man I'm glad you guys have something you enjoy. It doesn't mean it makes sense.

Yeah jam bands are about as close as I get to not at all understanding why someone would like something, but I have a best friend whose favorite band is Phish and he also likes Actress and Oneohtrix Point Never and punk music etc, so there's gotta be something I don't see.

I haven't really listened to many jam bands, but a lot of really great musical moments come out of jamming... so in theory if you have a band of really good musicians who specialize in stretching out those great moments, it should be a good thing. But I'm extremely unaware of what's going on in the jam band scene.

I heard some pop music the other day and was all like "wow how can people enjoy this SHIT!?" It had this upbeat melody with catchy lyrics that didn't make a whole lot of sense and I was all like how can anyone enjoy that? EPIC FAIL. It's like these people don't even CARE what the listen to but instead just listen to whatever the radio dj spoon feeds them! It SICKENS me! Dumb assholes.

EPIC FAIL

Also what's the deal with all these huge "EDM" (what does that even stand for?) festivals? Do people seriously dance and have a good time to that music? Blows my intelligent mind.

Archived