IGNORED

Massive Attack - Ritual Spirit EP

usagi

I've quite enjoyed their 201x era material, felt '100th Window' was a little heavy going mainly due to Mr.Man's (can't remember his name!) rather dreary vocal technique with a range of about 2 notes. Heligoland was bloody ace !

I've quite enjoyed their 201x era material, felt '100th Window' was a little heavy going mainly due to Mr.Man's (can't remember his name!) rather dreary vocal technique with a range of about 2 notes. Heligoland was bloody ace !

I liked 100th Window, but it was a bit one note true. I thought Heligoland was weak. Both pale compared to Mezzanine which is top 10 of all time material for me... amazing album. This ep is alright, but it doesn't look like Mezzanine will ever be topped.

yeah, it won't ever be topped. but contrasting all their successive work against it is unfair. I liked 100th Window a lot and Heligoland, while it didn't ring true to me all the time, was still worthwhile.

Mezzanine was one of those albums that changed the way I hear music.

As said above, the shadow of Mezzanine hangs heavy, these boys ain't done anything of note since 100th Window, and that took some work on the listeners behalf. Is this the new AOR?

Take it There actually sounds a lot like a Mezzanine track to me, with that heavy crunchy beat. Heligoland was more light and clean, glad they're getting dark and dirty again with this EP.

these boys ain't done anything of note since 100th Window

For me Paradise Circus (off Heligoland) is one my favourite (if not my favourite) track by them:

Just beautiful from start to finish

Amen to Paradise Circus. That album art slays too. Aside from a couple skippable tracks (Flat of the Blade), Heligoland was mostly impressive. I remember being particularly impressed by the decision to strip all the reverb back and go for a cleaner sound.

haha christ

also is massive attack like one guy now last time I heard??? (wikipedia says two guys) but still I'm waiting for the group to dwindle down to like 1/2 a guy. Or maybe it is I hear half an arse listening to that track ohhhhhh shit

For me Paradise Circus (off Heligoland) is one my favourite (if not my favourite) track by them:

Yeah that tune really affected me. Still adore it.

Better than most of the stuff on 100th Window and Heligoland, IMO.

Totally agree! I think it's a step in the right direction. I love about half of Heligoland and skip the rest. 100th Window is the only one that never grabbed me at all.

I love Dead Editors, hope it's a sign they'll be working with more rappers. I want more tracks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjEE7ES0iME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEgX64n3T7g

Yeah that tune really affected me. Still adore it.

Yes!

And it would be luvvly to have more tracks get the burial treatment. Four tete can come and play as well, i guess.

i'm trying to listen to it without the video, highly recommend doing this because the video is disproportionately good to the song imo. it doesn't take me anywhere ironically

this was on a compilation album of massive attack as like bonus track and is ridiculously good imo

heligoland was alright it doesn't have the same mental associations i have with mezzanine/100th window to HOUSE and csi type shows that think it's cool/trippy

i don't have the exact quote but I found this thing I wrote via google

I was in a thread on another forum and it was something like 'describe a band with a short story' I guess because they described massive attack as 'a man is trapped in a dark room surrounded by four walls and no way out and trying to break through with a sledgehammer while yelling at the top of his lungs. Meanwhile a couple blocks away, a man is getting beat up in a parking garage'

they probably had Mezzanine/100th Window in mind

but yeah was gonna say last post they should update mezzanine with weird sound/unsettling loop/spaceverb album but without house theme song or a track that could work as such. I also associate that sound with danny the dog because they did the ost for that movie. It wasn't a BAD movie but nothing mindblowing

like a more understated/less cliched weird/trippy album, their analord or whatever, this won't happen most likely but this is what i would do if I were massive attack

also the fucking matrix break that mental association with new album

Archived