Jump to content

Jega on bandcamp


Recommended Posts

Looks like a good chunk of the Jega catalog got added to bandcamp

https://jega.bandcamp.com/

 

geometry and spectrum are classics. gotta pull my copies off the shelf! i met him in SF once when he played in the basement of a bar in chinatown. some stories exist from that night for sure.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Variance has grown on me so much over the years, it's an amazing album.

Also the Type Xer0 mech has always looked a ton like a Shoji Kawamori design to me.

Edited by xyrofen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2021 at 10:42 PM, xyrofen said:

Variance has grown on me so much over the years, it's an amazing album.

 

I enjoy both the official release & the leaked one which made him rework the whole thing. Not sure if everyone knows there are 2 variance double albums 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

I was not aware of that. 

I don’t know the exact story but it’s out there somewhere - the gist of it is that the album was ready to go by 2003 or so, and a “friend” of his leaked it. Anyways instead of releasing the original version he reworked it and it was released several years later. Gun to my head the original was better but both are rly good.

Edit: they reference it in the boomkat release notes “Yes IDM heads, that day has finally arrived! Dylan Nathan aka Jega has actually completed and delivered a full, unleaked, and much refreshed version of his 'Variance' album for Planet Mu. As history tells us, the draft version of this album was leaked onto the internet back in '03, forcing the producer back into the studio to complete an expansive double disc of contrasting styles only seeing the light of...”

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t recall where I got the original one (what.CD maybe? I thought what.cd started in like 2012 tho) but it looks like I archived it in 2006. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

How different are they ?

Quite. Like 85% diff - there are some tracks in the final release that are obviously reworks, some in the final like “Kyoto” that seem to be completely unrelated to the original album, and vice-versa (some in the original album that are nowhere to be found in any sense on the official release). 

 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there was a while there where I listened to the leaked version of variance a lot.  Songs like aerodynamic don't hit right on the official release, most likely because I am so used to the leaked version, but to me it is better.  Not a fan of all the choir voices added.  Plus the leaked version of aerodynamic could easily go in a top 100 tracks list for me.  

Geometry is a great album, but Spectrum was one of those special albums during a real good period in music discovery for me(96-98), so I hold it in high regard.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cloud capture said:

there was a while there where I listened to the leaked version of variance a lot.  Songs like aerodynamic don't hit right on the official release, most likely because I am so used to the leaked version, but to me it is better.  Not a fan of all the choir voices added.  Plus the leaked version of aerodynamic could easily go in a top 100 tracks list for me. 

Big same bro. Used to play the leak a lot when I was a teen, mowing the lawn...listening takes me back, lol.

I found a youchube playlist of the original leaks-

 

This track f'kin bangs-

This turned into "Hydrodynamic" on the official release and it just doesn't hit the same way for me.

It seems like a lot of the tracks that made it from the leak to the final got a spacier treatment, with longer intros and a sparser, more "digital sheen" sound, where the originals were louder and more to the point, which was endearing in a way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh yeah! The leaked version of Variance is very good. I do have a lot of thoughts on it that I'm sure some of you will share in. It's such a swath of music and WIP that it's actually great; it's probably a selfish thought but I wish we saw this happen more often, but only in the sense of getting to hear beta version of tracks/albums to see how they changed. This particular album has the mythos of how long it took after the leak to see light added to it on top of Jega's strong-but-few releases. Almost nothing sounds like his music, even despite so many of the sounds being all around the scene (what with the breaks and softer synth sounds), his productions are all uniquely his.

The original Aerodynamic is massive. The version that made it onto the final release is definitely more polished, which I sincerely think the track did deserve in many ways. The leaked version really needed some mixing and sound engineering love that is present in the final. Did the 1 minute long intro need to become a thing? No, it became rather theatrical, but it's a more realized track and is still massive. I'm a huge fan of how it starts to deconstruct in the latter third.

Bicubi is renamed to Aqueminae. It swells more in the background, the original is more subdued but both are very pretty.

Haze became Latinhypercube. Haze to me definitely sounds unrealized and needed this. Not to say I don't like it, but it sounds skeletal and like it was pending revision. Really interesting to see the changes applied.

Whisperplane I think was beta for something else. I can't totally tell right now, fun Jega beats though.

Intron-x I think be played into Hydrodynamic with Acid and Hydro? I like where it went, I like both. This is a very "versions" thing to me and I like seeing the differences in direction. Acid is massive, I like all three of these but they definitely share a lot of similarities. Hydro and Acid sound very related.

Indica I think became Shibuya but I don't know. The flow relatively the same throughout. Indica is does feels simple but is pretty.

BMX is Reprise with less polish. I like Reprise more, this was some really great care added to it.

Caustic reminds me of Dreams and Zenith in a way. Zenith is one of my favorite tracks on the release after all this time.

I realize I linked nothing to Chromadynamic, and there's definitely some that are tied to it.

 

As far as I can tell the following didn't make it out:

Convolver didn't seem to make it through and that's a shame. This reminds me of the sound from Geometry, which I loved. Fireball really needed some mixing love, or maybe it just sounds kind of bitcrushed. This track is great though and I love the Transformers transforming sample in here that I know he's used elsewhere.

Ghost didn't make it out. I think it could have, but I kind of see why it didn't. Fun track.

Mixdown Bass. There's something here and I can hear bits and pieces in various tracks of the final.

Pass Arani I really enjoy, probably one of my favorites, but could go somewhere. Shame.

Pixel is pleasant.

shaft is fun, maybe didn't want to release it because of the sample?

Theme is an amen banger with a great synth line and cuts.

 

On the final release I absolutely love:

SoulFlute, The Girl Who Fell to Earth, Dreams, Zenith, Shibuya, Chromadynamic, Aerodynamic, Latinhypercube, Hydrodynamic, Reprise.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, xyrofen said:

Oh yeah! The leaked version of Variance is very good. I do have a lot of thoughts on it that I'm sure some of you will share in. It's such a swath of music and WIP that it's actually great; it's probably a selfish thought but I wish we saw this happen more often, but only in the sense of getting to hear beta version of tracks/albums to see how they changed. This particular album has the mythos of how long it took after the leak to see light added to it on top of Jega's strong-but-few releases. Almost nothing sounds like his music, even despite so many of the sounds being all around the scene (what with the breaks and softer synth sounds), his productions are all uniquely his.

The original Aerodynamic is massive. The version that made it onto the final release is definitely more polished, which I sincerely think the track did deserve in many ways. The leaked version really needed some mixing and sound engineering love that is present in the final. Did the 1 minute long intro need to become a thing? No, it became rather theatrical, but it's a more realized track and is still massive. I'm a huge fan of how it starts to deconstruct in the latter third.

Bicubi is renamed to Aqueminae. It swells more in the background, the original is more subdued but both are very pretty.

Haze became Latinhypercube. Haze to me definitely sounds unrealized and needed this. Not to say I don't like it, but it sounds skeletal and like it was pending revision. Really interesting to see the changes applied.

Whisperplane I think was beta for something else. I can't totally tell right now, fun Jega beats though.

Intron-x I think be played into Hydrodynamic with Acid and Hydro? I like where it went, I like both. This is a very "versions" thing to me and I like seeing the differences in direction. Acid is massive, I like all three of these but they definitely share a lot of similarities. Hydro and Acid sound very related.

Indica I think became Shibuya but I don't know. The flow relatively the same throughout. Indica is does feels simple but is pretty.

BMX is Reprise with less polish. I like Reprise more, this was some really great care added to it.

Caustic reminds me of Dreams and Zenith in a way. Zenith is one of my favorite tracks on the release after all this time.

I realize I linked nothing to Chromadynamic, and there's definitely some that are tied to it.

 

As far as I can tell the following didn't make it out:

Convolver didn't seem to make it through and that's a shame. This reminds me of the sound from Geometry, which I loved. Fireball really needed some mixing love, or maybe it just sounds kind of bitcrushed. This track is great though and I love the Transformers transforming sample in here that I know he's used elsewhere.

Ghost didn't make it out. I think it could have, but I kind of see why it didn't. Fun track.

Mixdown Bass. There's something here and I can hear bits and pieces in various tracks of the final.

Pass Arani I really enjoy, probably one of my favorites, but could go somewhere. Shame.

Pixel is pleasant.

shaft is fun, maybe didn't want to release it because of the sample?

Theme is an amen banger with a great synth line and cuts.

 

On the final release I absolutely love:

SoulFlute, The Girl Who Fell to Earth, Dreams, Zenith, Shibuya, Chromadynamic, Aerodynamic, Latinhypercube, Hydrodynamic, Reprise.

This guy really likes Jega.

 

 

 

 

 

me too

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, TheBro said:

This is one of my all time favourite tunes!! Bo!!!

Naem - YouTube

Still waiting on Spectrum 2. Spectrum is for me the best thing he did. 😎

Yeah me too.  Any word on what happened with this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Extralife said:

Yeah me too.  Any word on what happened with this?

No idea. Maybe someone should e-mail him lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Goiter Sanchez
      Michael Fakesch's 1999 album 'Marion 'was recently reissued by Bit-Phalanx in a deluxe double cassette/digital edition! It includes unreleased tracks as well as the 3 Demon EPs which have never been officially digitally available until now! BoC fans take note as their remix has only been available as a low quality vinyl rip previously:
       

       
      Purchase it here: https://bitphalanx.bandcamp.com/album/marion-20th-anniversary-edition
       
      Some tracks included:
       
    • By KovalainenFanBoy
      https://mobile.twitter.com/SUBV3R7/status/1079895822311907328
       
      just as we were listening to Spectrum on the planet mu thread lol
    • By Bertolt Brechtakt
      So here we go. Part X of the Single Source Publishing mix series goes to: JEGA.
       
      Sit back, put your headphones on and get your arse kicked. Enjoy the ride!
       

    • By Chris Toffer
      Posted on his twitter on NYE. Presumably old material. Stooooked for new (old) Jega
       
    • Guest bitroast
      By Guest bitroast
      µ20
       
      3CD, unreleased tracks, **book with special edition**
       
      CD1 01. Kuedo – Slow Knife (2014) 02. Herva – Kila (2014) 03. Remarc – Thunderclap (Dubplate Mix) (2009) 04. DJ Diamond – Dozin (2014) 05. Anti-G – Oohh Shit (2015) 06. Ital – Digi Dub (2015) 07. Mr. Mitch – Phantom Prophet (2015) 08. Ekoplekz – Detroit (2014) 09. Claude Speeed – Center Tech (2014) 10. RP Boo – Azzoutof Control (2004) 11. Traxman – Nothing Stays Tha Same (Funk Bomb Remixx) (2015) 12. Ital Tek – Vacuum I (2015) 13. FaltyDL – Brazil (Maddslinky Remix) (2010) 14. Boxcutter – Neonia (2012) 15. Venetian Snares – Meeting A Buddha (2013) CD2 01. µ-Ziq – Cherk (2014) 02. Jlin & Fawkes – Ankou Celeste (2015) 03. Silk Road Assassins – Shaded (2015) 04. Oriol – Near Me (2012) 05. Machinedrum – Le Ol Skool (2011) 06. John T. Gast – Congress (Original Version) (2015) 07. Swindle – Airmiles (Terror Danjah Carbon Footprint Remix) (2010) 08. Milanese – 1up (2004) 09. Luke Vibert – Starchild (2011) 10. John Wizards – Lushoto (µ-Ziq Remix) (2013) 11. Miracle – Strange Taste (2013) 12. Polysick – Magog (2014) 13. Gemmy – Goin’ Up (2014) 14. Heterotic – Cute (2014) 15. DJ Nate – Awww Baby Yea (2014) 16. Vex’d – Firestar (2003) 17. Konx-Om-Pax – Astro Belter (2014) CD3 01. Jega – 103 (1997) 02. Leafcutter John – Kickcut (2001) 03. Neil Landstrumm – Beauty Sq (2010) 04. Dykehouse – Cloud Sculptor (2002) 05. µ-Ziq – Improper (1997) 06. The Gasman – 2teq-10 (2013) 07. Hrvatski – Glass (2000) 08. Datach’i – Greenwood Mating Ritual (2003) 09. Hellfish – Pandora’s Front Smash Hole (Planet Puke Edit) (2015) 10. Ed Lawes – Chain 1 & End (2004) 11. Slag Boom Van Loon – Butch (Speedy J Remix) (1999) 12. Mark One – Dirty Birds (2004) 13. Frost Jockey – Twee (1998) 14. Remano Eszildn – Contax (2008) 15. Ambulance – Circlette (2002) 16. Mrs Jynx – Coral Face (2006) 17. Tim Tetlow – Stelophane 101 (2000) 18. Shitmat – S950-003 (2008) planet mu website text
      massive cover in spoilers as well because this pic is bloody big ..
       
       
       
       


      Sep 04, 2015
×
×
  • Create New...