IGNORED

Huerco S. - Plonk

species8472

6 hours ago, ignatius said:

but.. 

Don't forget this jam

Xor this one

3 hours ago, Polytrix said:

Agreed. Just reminded me of some of the more generic actress stuff. I love actress so that's saying something. Not hating. I love this guys other stuff. Ah well. Evolution of sound innit.

Haha, I'm right here with ya. Actress is one of my faves also but the more recent-ish stuff is hit or miss, and tbqh you could play me tracks from his and Andy Stott's latest and I'd have trouble guessing which it's from.  At this point it's like this predictable pattern at where the machine becomes self-aware, the weight of expectation that comes with burgeoning recognition, etc. which too often ends up with the artist either going deep conceptual or feeling the need to taking their sound in some direction for it's own sake.

I wouldn't call it a big miss, but its not a massive success either. Tho I prob enjoy it as much as Colonial Patterns.

Seems like it could have been a floaty freeform ambient album a la Oversteps or West Mineral records but the mood and flow is interrupted slightly by the two high tempo club tracks in the middle, and then the vocal one at the end. 

I wouldn't have minded so much if he commited to one new sound throughout but its like a hodgepodge of three.

I mean yeah... I'm reluctant to sort of spread negativity generally in life especially about creatives which obviously I've done here but I suppose I just wanted another ambient sound world thing. This guy is class perhaps the next record will be more my thing.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

TBH I never listened to his music prior to this album, so no expectations 

I’ve listened to his past records but have never been as enthusiastic as others on watmm about them. Still finding time to listen to this, hopefully this evening. 

• Like 2

This sounds like huerco s, oversteps era autechre, and rip era actress in a blender. I'm a bit confused why people aren't feeling it, as those are generally pretty beloved records. Maybe it comes across as derivative here? Or spread too thin (too many changing styles) for you folks?

My point being, I really love it.

VI is a swirling centerpiece that only H.S. could make, my favorite track here

The one two punch of III / VI are also super lush and unique to his sound.

VII and VIII sound the most like they could be actress, for me that is a compliment though. VIII is an album highlight for me

IX is not the most successful collab I've ever heard but also sounds pretty unique and gets points for that.

X is a trip

Edited by markedone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

VIII is a highlight and sounds a bit like EP7 era Ae attempting dub reggae. 

The ambient cloudrap works, tho I probably wouldnt want a full album of it (...or would I ???). Like the rap track on Ultravisitor it adds a bit of an oddball freewheeling vibe to the whole thing. 

Edited by Key
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayya Khema said:

I never liked anything from him

I have to wonder how come he is so often talked about here at watmm.

youre free to not like his stuff ? But ive never been able to listen to a track like this (among many!) and not have a massive grin on my face

Also I only know of 1 thread - the brian leeds thread about all his stuff. And then there was a Pendant thread, but that was mostly just me and Salv (:cry:❤️) geeking out back and forth.

Edited by markedone

9 hours ago, markedone said:

This sounds like huerco s, oversteps era autechre, and rip era actress in a blender. I'm a bit confused why people aren't feeling it, as those are generally pretty beloved records. Maybe it comes across as derivative here?

those are generally pretty beloved records but they came out in 2010 and 2012. So in my view this is pretty derivative from well-trodden and well-loved (and now old) material, and certainly records that would be familiar to anyone excited about a new Huero S. record. Personally he's always been a *bit* overhyped 'round these parts, but that Pendant album was pretty fucking great and had great design / artwork so I was interested in this one. It's not a "big miss" (i was being a whiny bitch) but this is a step back from Make Me Know You Sweet. Cover fucking suuuuuuuucks

Edited by dr lopez

6 hours ago, dr lopez said:

those are generally pretty beloved records but they came out in 2010 and 2012. So in my view this is pretty derivative from well-trodden and well-loved (and now old) material, and certainly records that would be familiar to anyone excited about a new Huero S. record.

Cover fucking suuuuuuuucks

@ top point: Yeah that's fair criticism. I, VII, and VIII probably fall into that category the most. VIII is saved by a really great melody though imo

@ bottom point: What, the cover of this album? imo the painting is pretty class

Edited by markedone

Can't hear the Oversteps/Actress similarities, and even if some do, that doesn't mean that the sound is dated in any way. Still spinning this a lot. For me it's par with "For Those". Except IX. That's the most skippable track on any album I've enjoyed I think.

as with all huerco stuff for me: some nice sounds and textures, here and there something draws me in, overall effect is very much less than the sum of these parts. just doesn’t do it for me. 

And ofc lol at that one track 

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 2
  • Burger 1

This is a bit of a weird one and I’m still trying to digest it, but the first track just bores me to tears. Would be happy if I never heard a minor key generative synth patch in my life again lol. Other tracks are a lot more interesting, but I’m still on the fence with the rap track. Overall kind of a disappointment given his past few albums and killer Pendant releases

im beginning to think the penultimate track is a troll. because it's impossible for anyone to think that it's good, or not tongue in cheek or something. when did sounding completely braindead and strung out become the dominant style in "rap"? lil wayne? I don't know much about rap music but I'm certainly ready for this style of performance to expire

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Not mega up on hip hop either but always think of that style starting with Lil B

I'm suprised how much hate this album getting (and that track in particular! ?) love the album & that one not my fav on it but I don't mind it & don't think it deserves the level of shit it's getting tbh!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kirm said:

Not mega up on hip hop either but always think of that style starting with Lil B

I'm suprised how much hate this album getting (and that track in particular! ?) love the album & that one not my fav on it but I don't mind it & don't think it deserves the level of shit it's getting tbh!

Only on watmm…

• 2 months later...

Great album. Enjoy to hear him elevate his sound towards new levels without loosing that melancholic feel to it. The rap track isn't a favorite for me, but I think it's a nice experimental try of setting rap in a different context.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This has grown on me. The last track is SO good. 

Call me crazy but I think I love the weirdo rap track before that?? Even checked out the rappers solo stuff which has a similar feel. hazy shit that sounds like half the track is missing.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

You ever have a hard-to-describe gut feeling than an artist is overrated and then their eagerly anticipated new album is a total stinker and you quietly feel vindicated?

bumping this thread for no reason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

😆you cheeky monkey. We spent all this page trying to change your mind and now its been downgraded from big miss to total stinker.

I listened to it again recently and I have to say my opinion hasnt changed much. Its not quite as strong as his other records but still an enjoyable hour.