IGNORED

WAPP480

spunktronics

9 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Joyrex stated clearly right at the beginning there would be three EPs.

He loves to pretend he knows things so he can justify being king of his silly little idm website (joke don't ban)

• Haha 2
  • Big Brain 1

ok ig it just had to grow on me. i still think the title track is by far the best track but the other 3 are all welcome as well

this EP feels really dark and moody. even the uplifting moments feel quite a lot muted compared to say Collapse. i still dont think this is some of the best this year has to offer but its quite solid and at this stage of richards career thats enough for me.

zin2 has a REALLY satisfying bassline i dig that one quite a bit. and id say Parallax is my second favorite. if the original was like sinking, Parallax is being at the bottom of the ocean.

Spoiler

in a room7 after the first minute and a half is still very whatever though sorry

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Amen Warrior said:

He loves to pretend he knows things so he can justify being king of his silly little idm website (joke don't ban)

I know he does but don’t tell him I said so ? 

Edited by beerwolf

Is it my ears/headphones going wonky or is there some clipping/saturation near the end of the title track (from around 3:50 till around 4:20 - more noticeable on the 'Aphex Mastered' version (track 5)) ? Perhaps it's just resonating with my headphone .... whateveryoucallit ... speakers ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Is it my ears/headphones going wonky or is there some clipping/saturation near the end of the title track (from around 3:50 till around 4:20 - more noticeable on the 'Aphex Mastered' version (track 5)) ? Perhaps it's just resonating with my headphone .... whateveryoucallit ... speakers ?

That would be your headphone's drivers or transducers, and yes, I think I hear it too. A bit more on the right side, maybe? But I never know what's deliberate with him and what is just ... laissez-faire? There's also noticable hiss on a lot of his tracks and a ridiculously high noise floor. I guess it's just the analogue equipment, but sometimes I think he toys around with it a bit. I dunno, I'm clueless when it comes to production. :shrug:

I do know that these tracks felt especially "dirty" on first listen, and I thought he was going to address this with the new masters, but I don't know that he did.

Edit: Subbass is incredible though, sooo juicy.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 2

Yeah I'm wondering if it got mastered onto [cassette maybe?] tape for full on old-skool sound vibes ? Or recorded deliberately 'hot' for the end crunch and hiss

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Das Gespenst said:

If this would be a double album released now, people would go wild. (if collapse etc would be unheard of until now) and, sure the autechre-quaristice-esque binding in of variation of the same track might be redundant but still the inclusion of bblr amb and parallax is crucial.  If Collapse never wouldve been released until now would you think differently being accompanied by these other tracks?

Aphex Twin - t69 collapse [durichroma].wav (6:38)
Aphex Twin - 1st 44.wav (6:09)
Aphex Twin - blackbox life recorder 21f 760 omc (4:31)
Aphex Twin - MT1 t29r2.wav (6:04)
user18081971 - s8v1 [brooklyn] (3:39)
user18081971 - 286b - 0403 - prememory100N pt2.mp3 (6:13)
Aphex Twin - A1 rfc pt8.wav (4:13)
user18081971 - 289 - 0406 - tha2 [world scam mix].mp3 (5:33)
Aphex Twin - 06. zin2 test5 omc ma2.flac (2:39)
Aphex Twin - 04 Soundlab20.flac (6:57)

user18081971 - 296 - 0727 - short forgotten produk trk omc.mp3 (1:51)
user18081971 - 297 - 0727 - 2nd neotek test trac omc.mp3 (2:55)
Aphex Twin - 07. in a room7 F760 omc s.flac (3:50)
user18081971 - 298 - 0728 - matriarch test 3+Om1 Cass+909 edit1 F6 omc+1.mp3 (2:45)
Aphex Twin - abundance10edit[2 R8_s, FZ20m _ a 909].wav (6:20)
Aphex Twin - B1 afxfm e.wav (2:54)
Aphex Twin - pthex.wav (4:57)
user18081971 - 285 - 0403 - m11stN lon.mp3 (3:03)
Aphex Twin - blackbox life recorder 20 ambient 760.mp3 (6:04)
Aphex Twin - blackbox life recorder 22 parallax mix 760 omc ma2.flac (3:33)
user18081971 - 290 - 0406 - qu 1.mp3 (4:08)

user18081971 - s8v1 [brooklyn] (3:39) >> user18081971 - 288 - 0405 - s8v1 [brooklyn] (3:39) ...this adhd brain of mine

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, mcbpete said:

3:20 feels like a sudden jump in loudness. By the time 3:50 hits, that additional reedy synth playing along with the root notes really makes a boozy wall of sound due to all the similar frequencies. These tunes are in some of the most capable hands around so I see it as a stylistic choice but it's unusual tbh.

That bassline is so huge. It's damn near 808 kicks tuned to a melody so it will be the belle of the frequency ball on sheer girth alone. I'm not trying to set up a competition or "who wore it better" but I loved when Special Request kept everything in the upper frequencies, well-behaved and minimal in order to let this fuckin' beast of a bassline growl around. Choon. So is "Blackbox". Not a contest lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

zin2 test5 omc ma2 from the new EP and matriarch test 3+ from the recent soundcloud drop are the two best tracks i've heard post Syro. This adds nothing to the convo but just felt the need to say that, thats all. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads-up, but does anyone know if there's an option to downsingle single tracks from your purchases? Looks like I can only dl the whole package every time. Maybe I'm just too dumb.

Edit: I see all you nerds in the store comments :rhubear3:

Edited by IDEM