IGNORED

AE_Live 2022

YELLOW

38 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

When you've got artists who've made some of your all time favourite music you're going to give their newer stuff a lot more of a chance, even if you're not feeling it at the time.

Yes, in part there is the awareness that by insisting, even things that do not initially strike me can hide the "secret", but there is also another fact: together with the initial rejection, even in those cases, there is something that piques my curiosity, that makes me think about it, regardless of the fact that it is Ae. This is in fact the reason that lead me to return to them often, the first times, when for me they were still one name among many to explore in the then new -at last to me - panorama of electronics. The other things then faded away, but autechre became a cornerstone. It must mean something I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcom said:

I don't mind challenging, it's just so stochastic that it's almost random noise, and that's boring algorithmic nonsense. It's different live, when it's an experience, but listening to the recordings becomes almost a chore.

the first half is more hostile, but I don't find it stochastic. Once I get the hang of it, it works

2022 Helsinki was my third Autechre in-person live gig, and I've been a fan for 30 years, but I think it's starting to fade in a very similar way - but for different reasons - my RDJ fandom began to shrivel not long after Analord. I do love Autechre and they've been the longest constant in my extrapersonal music life; SIGN and PLUS are amazing and brought their more contemporary output back to focus for me, but I have so much other music in my life that I can't be arsed to listen to things that require way too much repetition for me to acclimate to. Don't get me wrong, I (mostly) prefer musical complexity over naivete (which minimalism is not), but I've never liked pseudorandom rhythmic noise. I'm glad that there are people who do.

Edited by dcom

these exchanges brought me back to listening to the entire bergen. I was probably in a particularly receptive moment.. what an immense journey. It's like getting on the Galaxy Express 999 and watching volumes and dimensions amalgamate and transform perpetually through the window. At 10.43 there is a moment of haughty peace, surrounded by slightly jazzy phrasing that is gold, and that moment of uncertain quiet at 16.52, which slowly loses balance and falls at 18.07 on harmonies that proceed and create reverse becoming alien breaths... and then the crazy (gamelanesque) accents at 22:40 while infinite tonalities and martian toads are added to the delirious march (the 4 front notes, obsessively repeated, distract a lot from the battle raging below... it took some time to ignore them). 25:35 :catghost: .. At 29:57 the route turns towards darker scenarios, with that epic peak at 33:17, and then descends into that succession of nostalgia and echoes of childhood (yep, it has this effect on me) until the end.

honestly - for now - these sets put me on a much more sexy journey than london b, and I definitely prefer them to onesix

:catbed:

I totally love the complex sounds and odd noisy rhythms.. Most of it is very funky and the highlight for me Is still London B-side. It goes more into Ae's signature sound! 
But unfortunately I find most parts to be very "aggressive" like they have no other purpose than just bashing so much noisy Non-linear (More random) sounds as possible 

What I miss in general is tracks like "Bladelores" that has this huge depth and atmosphere combined with a fine rhythm. 
That stuff I can have on loop for days!

10 hours ago, dcom said:

I don't mind challenging, it's just so stochastic that it's almost random noise, and that's boring algorithmic nonsense. It's different live, when it's an experience, but listening to the recordings becomes almost a chore.

Stochasticism isn’t in a spectrum 

Note to self 09-2023: I'll never get into their AE_LIVE stuff. Lots of kinda algorithmic beats with no transients, like recorded in next room, filtered... lots of other frequencies output. I'm old. I need hand-crafted music. (Glimpses of) Melodies. Music theory. Kontrapunkt. Great ideas. Not noodling. Did I say "noodling"? Oh.

Last good stuff was NTS. Sign/Plus was mediocre. I prefer ABBA "Lay all your love on me" over AE_LIVE rn.

They went out of ideas if you ask me. Hiding that behind some max/msp mystery, fans like things they don't understand.

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Facepalm 2

u folks mental, shit slaps.

4 hours ago, WurstPLUS said:

They went out of ideas if you ask me. Hiding that behind some max/msp mystery, fans like things they don't understand.

but you got it all figured out, aye? grats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

definitely curvey. perpetually undulating heaviness. difficult to penetrate but that's because the uninitiated cannot enter. and maybe that's for your own protection

aside from london b which is its own thing and awesome.

concur shit slaps

23 hours ago, YELLOW said:

Yeah and there's no rush to understand the music or feel like you need to enjoy it. Some of their records I don't listen to very often because I just let them unfurl for me over the years. Some click instantly, some take a while

yellow wins the internet

Edited by trying to be less rude
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ignatius said:

listen harder. there's patterns in there. 

or just come back to it in a year and see if you have the ah ha moment.

just to avoid any confusion, even if ignatius' post wasn't for me - I was being silly in my previous post.

there are patterns in there indeed, and they are reproducible across the different live sets. The music suggests that the algorithms are very carefully confined so as to be specific yet offer interesting variations. What's amazing about this 2022 live material is how varying the dynamics also are; I don't think this degree of dynamics fluctuation was present in previous material. The intro is one evident example of this, and throughout the set there's an incredible amount of dynamic layering, causing me to shift focus from one sound to another. Ae have always been amazing when it comes to messing with people's music perception and cognition eh.

well said about the "leave it for a year and come back later".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, jaderpansen said:

u folks mental, shit slaps.

but you got it all figured out, aye? grats.

Yes. I know things. All the things. Even more.

Fettecke still isn't working for me. I leave it for a year and come every next year since 1982.

The underlying question is: Is it impossible the seanpls produce garbage? (not saying AE_LIVE is garbage). I mean, let's be honest, the shoanplease can start up FL studio, put a 1 of 4 kickdrum on it, add some noise every few bars, create a 21m minute file of it... WATMM will find an explanation why it is great.

s011701.jpg

Edited by WurstPLUS
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Burger 1

That "leave it for a year" quip is condescending bullshit, elitist truehead bragging that you "get it" while others don't ("I didn't mean it like that" defence notwithstanding). You can habituate and acclimate to anything with enough repetition; I know this because I've done it numerous times, and some of it has been Autechre - but it doesn't mean that I actually like something, it's just become familiar enough for me not to dislike it.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, dcom said:

That "leave it for a year" quip is bullshit, it's elitist truehead bragging that you "get it" while others don't. You can habituate and acclimate yourself to almost anything with enough repetition. I know this because I've done it numerous times, and some of it has been Autechre - but it doesn't mean that I actually like something, it's just become familiar enough for me not to dislike it.

personally it works differently, it is not simply an acclimate after several repetitions: I often have my attention fixed on a detail, possibly highlighted by the mix, so that I don't immediately notice the relationships with the background levels. At a certain point my attention shifts to these less prominent aspects and I realize a cohesive overall vision despite the initial random impression. Since this happens to me, I am led to imagine that it can happen to others too: it is a process of understanding that occurs naturally in me, I don't think there is anything elitist about this.
In the first half hour of the new sets, lines in different tones coexist, and this led me to perceive some sections as atonal, after a while of listening - and always when I didn't approach listening in an analytical way, transforming it into a work - the melodies and patterns have become clearer, and I now perceive those same sections as polytonal. So yes, it is a pleasure to slide from one sound to another, discovering the way in which they dialogue, and at the same time receiving this moving sound object as a whole, without resisting it in the rational attempt to dissect it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WurstPLUS said:

The underlying question is: Is it impossible the seanpls produce garbage? (not saying AE_LIVE is garbage). I mean, let's be honest, the shoanplease can start up FL studio, put a 1 of 4 kickdrum on it, add some noise every few bars, create a 21m minute file of it... WATMM will find an explanation why it is great.

this is more or less what I often heard back in the days of confield, then draft, then until Ted. Now it's tt2's turn.
This is also a recognizable, non-stochastic pattern

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

listen harder. there's patterns in there. 

or just come back to it in a year and see if you have the ah ha moment.

Of course there is patterns there! 

Spoiler

With rhythms and tones being built in a random fashion 🤓