IGNORED

Melbourne 23

stev

That was really incredible. I was worried that I had too high expectations or something just because I was really looking forward to this but I was genuinely blown away by the presence of their sound when the beats kicked in. It might be a cliched metaphor but it did feel like being in the middle of some kind of spaceship battle! I thought the sound system was great this time, deep but not muddy and crisp in the mids. At one point a low frequency oscillator passed through me and it modulated my vision sort-of in the same way you can see a speaker cone move. Never experienced that before. The set had a lot of similar DNA to the 22 soundboards but definitely morphed, mutated and expanded. The highlight was when that heavily swung groove from the second half of the Helsinki 22 set was given a reworking. I also has to stop myself from listening too intently to those demonic spectral synths, you can hear all sorts of voices in there if you let yourself. 

• Like 12

3rd time seeing them down here (Sydney '10, Melbourne '18) and this one was an absolute beast. No comparison. Walked outside after for a breather, totally disorientated and feeling like my brain had be reprogrammed. Hard, fully immersive, a heap of variation. There was a beautiful little melody tucked away toward to the end of the set that briefly peaked out on its own once or twice. After being percussively assaulted all set, it was sweet little treat. 

Also, shout out to that persistent, rattlesnake-y wood block hit that hung around for a while about a third the way through. It was so clear and crisp and resonated beautifully in the venue. It was mixed dead centre and was this lovely consistent, grounding pulse as pure chaos unfurled around it.

Took about 15mins or so for them to really get into the swing of it. That rogue light was switched off around then and there were some cheers, lol. Maybe related? I dunno how having a light on in the venue affects their performance. But after that the rest of the set was pure banger, worthy of an ae_live release.

The venue was incredible. Absolutely cavernous with excellent acoustics. Ultra wide spatialisation. Was interesting being able to easily pinpoint certain sounds in space like that.

Does anyone have a hi-res photo of the message on the screen before they played? I know it's about the lights, but I missed it and just want a squizz.

Edited by Kid Lukie
  • Like 12

What's the go with the guys putting those 4 monitors right in front of their desk? Know they've been doing that for years but never understood how it helps their performance. Do they just block the view or is there some other purpose?

40 minutes ago, Kid Lukie said:

What's the go with the guys putting those 4 monitors right in front of their desk? Know they've been doing that for years but never understood how it helps their performance. Do they just block the view or is there some other purpose?

so they can hear what they're doing. the venue PA is generally face AWAY from them pointing at the audience. stage monitors are used so the artist/band can hear their performance. 

• Like 2

The monitor placement fits a little too neatly into the overall visual presentation style to be purely about sound imo. I think the fact that it blocks view is also part of it. A convenient bonus perhaps, but big speakers directly in front of the performers who play in the dark without any visual andornment adds an extra layer of humor to me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, monoppus said:

The monitor placement fits a little too neatly into the overall visual presentation style to be purely about sound imo. I think the fact that it blocks view is also part of it. A convenient bonus perhaps, but big speakers directly in front of the performers who play in the dark without any visual andornment adds an extra layer of humor to me.

Same deal at the Sydney show tonight, and they ducked under the table for most of the time where it wasn't light£ off.

Never been to a live ae show before but Sydney was incredible, far exceeded my expectations (that I formed from listening to the Helsinki set)

• Like 5

they've put them up there for ages. it was like that when i saw them here in portland in 2005//7/15.

in 2001 or 99 whenever it was they played LA w/curtis roads opening.. they were on this long table.. rob was on one side and sean was on the other.. the were like 20 ft away from each other. i don't remember the monitor situation then.  

• Like 1

That pre-show warning was done at the National Concert Hall in Dublin few year ago..afterwards loads of us sniggered out how the emergency exit lights became a sort of welcome focal point as we lapped up the sounds. Love the 'chre

On 8/26/2023 at 1:33 AM, shaun said:

Been to all 3 Melbourne gigs and this one was a monster

Hate to tell you 4 Melb gigs. First was Warp Party in 1996. They performed in front of about 40 people. I had dinner with them that night. It was a great gig and my friend filmed the show only to record over it for a fucking wedding!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1