IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

This happened after the bite...or? :emotawesomepm9:

it happened by the magic touch of sandpaper, and i had to take it apart completely for this. the whole enclosure was sanded.

IMG_0553.JPG

here's a rather impressionistic view of the basement studio space I recently acquired. I still will be building a rockwool ceiling for low end absorption and isolation from the flat right above. Probably some type of hanging broadband absorber along the back wall also. So pumped to finally have a dedicated space for music.

TZikCzj.jpg

But this old rolltop secretary cabinet is the real star :)

It exactly fits the width of my keyboard synths. I also added a ikea hacked slideout desk for other gear.

g1E5JmB.jpg

the reason was, i was annoyed by the fact that i was annoyed about a tiny bit of paint chipping off at one edge and the silk-screened graphics on it not being of the highest quality - i felt like a big sissy, and was using the synth in this way. all these words printed on it were also just a distraction.

i like how the interface feels much more abstract now.

very good thoughts here on the interface of electronic music tools. i felt the same way about the octatrack after having worked with the machinedrum for a long time. the octatrack was just ugly and didn't appeal to me in this future-technologic way that the MD does.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, my Casio SK-5 brings me way more joy than a $50 toy probably should. I love running breaks through it and getting that classic crunchy lo-fi drum sound.

i want your sh101 limp

I went hungry for many months to afford that. It's one of the very few unambigiously nice pieces of gear I own.

But in lieu of being able to afford an SH-101, I would suggest you find a cheap piece of gear that speaks to you. As much as I love my SH-101, I think cheap gear (paired with some chops and some knowledge) is just as magical. For instance, right now I'm making stuff with a turntable and my SP-303 sampler and my SK-5, and I paid less than a c-note for each of those.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I just thought this was a good opportunity for me to sing the praise of shitty gear.

P.S. If you simply must have the SH-101 sound, the TAL-BASSLINE vst is seriously (IMO) a great-sounding emulation. In fact, I occassionaly use it when I want to sync the sequencer to a tune I'm working on and I'm too lazy to do it manually.

You can do a lot with a versatile monosynth like the SH-101 or MS-20, a sampler and a sequencer...

ya. I've decided the next thing I buy will be a real sampler. I traded my 2 first gen electribes for an ESX (the sampler one), but I must say it has not really struck me as a very flexible thing. Gonna sell it to get an old Akai or something. The later ones are amazing looking.

The same time I got the ESX I also snagged a yamaha qy-70 for cheap, and I like it a lot more than the ESX haha. It's a great little sequencer and I love the way it forces me into linear song creation. Working in a DAW lately just leaches out all inspiration. I think if I could work faster and have to think less about the software it would be better, but for the time being the simple functions and button interface of the qy-70 win big time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Milkweg

There's some great piles of gear here. I should really upload mine, got some juicy new toys recently as well :D

The sanded OT looks great! I don't think i'd be brave enough to do it.

Guest Milkweg

Those knobs are lovely. Perfourmer?

yes indeedy :)

How does the perfourmer compare to a moog? haven't had the pleasure of playing with one myself.

How does the perfourmer compare to a moog? haven't had the pleasure of playing with one myself.

As far as a warm vintage tone goes the Perfourmer has it nailed with very bassy VCO's although with no filter saturation or direct vco level the filter sounds more like a precise Roland than a grungy Moog. Probably one of the best and most well engineered analogues I've tried/owned where all knobs are very well calibrated and the digital/midi side sits subtly in the background but can seemlessly change parameters on the fly like midi channels, lfo sync ect. It gets really interesting when you start to cross mod VCO's in series with FM. A keeper for sure.

As far as a warm vintage tone goes the Perfourmer has it nailed with very bassy VCO's although with no filter saturation or direct vco level the filter sounds more like a precise Roland than a grungy Moog. Probably one of the best and most well engineered analogues I've tried/owned where all knobs are very well calibrated and the digital/midi side sits subtly in the background but can seemlessly change parameters on the fly like midi channels, lfo sync ect. It gets really interesting when you start to cross mod VCO's in series with FM. A keeper for sure.