IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Yes and close respectively. :) What's really shameful is that I got the FA-101 instead of the FA-66 partly so that I wouldn't run out of inputs, and then only ever use one of them. I think I only really work out the use for things after I get them. My synth is either a pitiful polysynth, or a glorious monosynth, so it makes sense to use it as the latter. Then again, I might get a few more bits and bobs yet... :)

i tend to use 4 inputs at a time and sometimes more, but that's often to route audio out of the card back into itself and stuff like that...also use multiple ins when recording outboard gear - synths + drum machine all at once. i just use 1 pair of inputs sometimes though and just record stuff 1 track at a time.. all depends on the situation...

Real nice ! I'd love to have the desk space for a setup like that. Alas I've a cramped desk that *just* fits my laptop and mouse mat with small speakers behind it. I have to make an effort to retrieve my keyboard or Push from underneath my bed and rest it the end of the bed with me hunched over to play it. Rubbish !

Getting really close to finishing the synth cave. :) We got an extra ±12m2 basement room in our building that I'm converting to a little studio. I just finished a wooden floor and now I'm finishing up a large desk. Just no time to use it at the moment. :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest clasty

Casio!

Gotta love 'em. They're the awkward weirdos of electronic music hardware. The RZ1 can actually sound really nice when the sounds are processed and affected individually like that

It's been a looong time, but I vaguely remember the DR-202's filter had that quantised digital stepping type sound when you noodled with the cutoff point, which actually sounded pretty cool when you crank up the resonance and shove it through a distortion guitar pedal.

One thing I do know from hanging out at SP-Forums is that the Dr. Groove seems to make for a good companion for a sampler (especially the similar-looking SP-202). I think it'd be rad to grab little phrases and cobble them together on a sampler, rather than sequencing an entire tune inside the Dr. Groove.

Dr. Groove.

Edited by LimpyLoo

the DR-202 was the first synth gear I ever got. I remember hooking it up with my Soundblaster to MIDI cable into Cakewalk :) I'm so nostalgic right now I might just go and install some warezed cakwalk software. I didn't like the drumcomputer much though, the samples were too cheesy for me back then. Didn't have anything to process the sounds with, so it was really difficult to make it sound passable.

the DR-202 was the first synth gear I ever got. I remember hooking it up with my Soundblaster to MIDI cable into Cakewalk :) I'm so nostalgic right now I might just go and install some warezed cakwalk software. I didn't like the drumcomputer much though, the samples were too cheesy for me back then. Didn't have anything to process the sounds with, so it was really difficult to make it sound passable.

You should post some clips of the synth and the drum machine. I'd imagine the DR-202's synth is similar (in sound at least, maybe not functionality) to the SP-808's synth. (The synth is the one and only thing I miss about the SP-808...controlling the filter with the D-Beam like a sorcerer)

But anyway I think it'd be fun making a record with just the DR-202, a poly synth and a sampler.

ugh I dunno, I sold it a long time ago and it cured me of gearlust for a long time. Got into Buzz and Reason after that and was sort of ambivalent towards hardware for a long time. But: buttons.

All I remember about the 202 is that it was plastic as hell in the synth department. The resonance was really spiky and tame.

I was doing little loops and variations in Fasttracker 2 and ReBirth and multitracking those alongside the dr202 sounds in cakewalk. unforgiving and boring endresults.

The best thing about it all was the NorthPole VST fx and some ringmodulator fx...

ugh I dunno, I sold it a long time ago and it cured me of gearlust for a long time. Got into Buzz and Reason after that and was sort of ambivalent towards hardware for a long time. But: buttons.

All I remember about the 202 is that it was plastic as hell in the synth department. The resonance was really spiky and tame.

I was doing little loops and variations in Fasttracker 2 and ReBirth and multitracking those alongside the dr202 sounds in cakewalk. unforgiving and boring endresults.

The best thing about it all was the NorthPole VST fx and some ringmodulator fx...

Well yeah like I said, the DR-202 probably needs a little help to get cookin'. Wouldn't wanna use it really as-is.

Well yeah like I said, the DR-202 probably needs a little help to get cookin'. Wouldn't wanna use it really as-is.

for sure, needs some deep frying :)