IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

Thanks! Yeah, I think a decent step sequencer (though I would say that, conflict of interest wise) and filter get you most of the way there, and the step sequencer with an M303 or x0x heart get you essentially all the way there, only easier to program and without the sticky old buttons. Plus you can mix and match filters. Wasp acid and MS-20 acid aren't to be sniffed at! There's a whole world of acid out there...

• 2 weeks later...

now with added juno 106 and tt303

getting crowded in here...

Considering any classic braindance effect boxes to go with this? Quadraverb, midiverb, Ensoniq etc?

yes indeedy, definitely going to get some nice reverb thing, probably quadraverb or midiverb, also looking at lexicon mx range and might even shell out for an eventide box of some description. but yeah, fx are next on the shopping list...

Edited by BCM

yes indeedy, definitely going to get some nice reverb thing, probably quadraverb or midiverb, also looking at lexicon mx range and might even shell out for an eventide box of some description. but yeah, fx are next on the shopping list...

I'm a big supporterr of the Alesis The Wedge for this kind of reverb. Sort of a Frankensteined together combination of Quadraverb and Midiverb (the DSP of one and the OS of the other with various changes and upgrades; I forget which is which) with a kind of low rent Lexicon remote style interface. The interface is the important bit, those four control faders make it more of an instrument than most reverbs, and they're cheap (I paid around $30 USD + shipping on eBay for a perfect one two years ago).

EDIT: the build quality isn't exactly amazing, though. It's not a toy but it's definitely meant to be something you set up in your studio and don't move around a lot so that's something to know if you play live. Mine was fine but it seems like they're notorious for having the plug for the power supply come loose, so that's something to be aware of if you get one untested - which is also the way to get good prices (and if you solder it should be an easy fix even if it's broken).

Oh, and it has tap tempo, which is nice.

Edited by RSP

• 2 weeks later...

d04778243d7ecf30f4b30ed820e27b0b.jpga2234a8fa604bb5f226790b1ebe880b3.jpg

Two quick snaps after I finally tried getting things integrated together. Still working on my best routing options, and looking to add something dedicated to recording, but for now this is where I'm at. Planning on getting rid of the DSI Evolver soon if I can't break it's fucking weirdness down into useful and reliable parts.

Planning on getting rid of the DSI Evolver soon if I can't break it's fucking weirdness down into useful and reliable parts.

I've kind of wanted one of these pretty much since they came out - I guess I thought it'd be a fun little weirdo drumbox. Is it just a pain to use?

Planning on getting rid of the DSI Evolver soon if I can't break it's fucking weirdness down into useful and reliable parts.

I've kind of wanted one of these pretty much since they came out - I guess I thought it'd be a fun little weirdo drumbox. Is it just a pain to use?

It's more for melody/pads/bass (it excels at bass IMO) than a drum box, but it is a pain. The machine is notoriously unreliable in responding to MIDI, clips all the damned time, goes wild and out of control at the drop of a hat, and has a few too many features that are one-trick ponies. There's a learning curve that I don't think should turn most away, but it's regular usage is so very limited (without controlling via MIDI, which is as I mentioned sometimes unreliable) that it just ultimately cuts it off from being serious. IMO it's basically DSI's version of a toy. A toy that can of course make some awesome fucking sounds....if only occasionally.

Hey guys, finally moved last year! No longer in a halfway house

IMG_20160630_002728.jpg
IMG_20160630_002802.jpgIMG_20160630_002810.jpg

Who was talking about a poly? waldorf fucking Q man...

Edited by lala

Great load of gear there lala, and some great sounds out of it based on your track. In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

edit: Also, Ragnar, what program is that?

Edited by auxien

In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

waldorf fucking Q man...

Had a Micro Q for a bit. Great, clean sounding little synth, a bit starved for knobs and MIDI processing power. Not sure how the Q compares. I still wonder about a Blofeld sometimes (as much as I wonder about an Evolver or a Nord Lead 2 or an MS20 mini)

its a

Great load of gear there lala, and some great sounds out of it based on your track. In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

edit: Also, Ragnar, what program is that?

Q rack, really powerful pads & leads...

go to 5:00 8:08 15:00 17:00 20:00 if you want to hear some poly goodness. It has an amazing tone.... its actually an amazing demo, goes into BOC type detuned warbling pads as well. listen to that and the 2nd part...

I bought mine ages ago and I didnt know how to program it. It can sound like absolute shit :biggrin: but when its right its a thick spacey beast.. im trying to get it more into my tunes.. the rack is a bit fiddly, getting the soundtower editor soon for it

I didnt like what i heard of the blofeld compared to the Q but Jexus likes them (the guy doing the demo)

Edited by lala

In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

waldorf fucking Q man...

Had a Micro Q for a bit. Great, clean sounding little synth, a bit starved for knobs and MIDI processing power. Not sure how the Q compares. I still wonder about a Blofeld sometimes (as much as I wonder about an Evolver or a Nord Lead 2 or an MS20 mini)

the Q/ Q rack should be the same?

I found it lacking in high end and really messy & complex, but coming back to it recently I like its thang. terribly cheesy sometimes though. not good at acid & loads of one-hit-wonder crapness.. but those pads...

edit* I wonder about the lead as well. I went the jp8000 route back in the day.

the mini isnt as good as the kit one. The 2nd filter is actually amazing, the mini is a dirtbox, the kit can do more prettier stuff as well

Edited by lala

You know what that Waldorf sound is like (at least the MicroQ I had)? It's like a shower. Warm and clean. And yeah, often cheesy, but when you dial in the splats of water just right, those warm jets are so juicy.

Pair it with something with teeth though. Something trashy like a TX81Z or an MS20.