IGNORED

Studio Pics

Guest brianellis

what about a modern moog? the sub 37 is next on my list of things

I was thinking the deepness would pair well with it. or would it be too much and you need something less full.

Great load of gear there lala, and some great sounds out of it based on your track. In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

edit: Also, Ragnar, what program is that?

http://blog.thisisnotrocketscience.nl/projects/blok-modular/

I don't really feel restricted by it other than mayyybe an allpass filter module would be nice, and little internal step sequencers? and more external knobs/more resolution on the knobs would be nice

its a

Great load of gear there lala, and some great sounds out of it based on your track. In the last pic, towards the right, we see an angled up yellow-faced...something. Sequencer/synth? I dunno, what is that thing?

Q rack, really powerful pads & leads...

Oh wow! Do you know of any plugins that have been modeled after this beauty?

I was thinking the deepness would pair well with it. or would it be too much and you need something less full.

You know, I haven't worked with Moogs at all. From what I've read they have pretty full bottom end. I was thinking mostly of the high end, which they might do pretty well - I'm just not sure. That seemed to be the cheesiest thing about the MicroQ to me. For pads it was great because it blended so nicely and filled stuff up in a luxuriously hazy way. Something more defined or raspy or just straight up trashy seems like a good complement to me. TX81Z springs to mind. Of the stuff I have now, probably my Shruthi or my little Nord.

its a

certainly

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/largo-overview

You know, I haven't worked with Moogs at all. From what I've read they have pretty full bottom end. I was thinking mostly of the high end, which they might do pretty well - I'm just not sure. That seemed to be the cheesiest thing about the MicroQ to me. For pads it was great because it blended so nicely and filled stuff up in a luxuriously hazy way. Something more defined or raspy or just straight up trashy seems like a good complement to me. TX81Z springs to mind. Of the stuff I have now, probably my Shruthi or my little Nord.

the sub 37 has an almost perfect top end from what ive heard, doesnt go into harsh territory, like its been crafted and hi-fi'd. from my limited experience with it I think the top would just sit above it quite nicely..

Something that has an even higher good top end is the pro 2. crappy bass imo but it has a high end sizzle from the digi oscs that when used for trancey fizzy leads & modulated fx sounds pretty neat - if youve got something else for the bass. Been thinking about selling it but I want to try it with the sub37s warmth and low end first, see if they gel. Thats another one that can sound a bit crap but when nice its good

its a

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLtThKkiP8

certainly

http://www.waldorf-music.info/en/largo-overview

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

the sub 37 has an almost perfect top end from what ive heard, doesnt go into harsh territory, like its been crafted and hi-fi'd. from my limited experience with it I think the top would just sit above it quite nicely..

Something that has an even higher good top end is the pro 2. crappy bass imo but it has a high end sizzle from the digi oscs that when used for trancey fizzy leads & modulated fx sounds pretty neat - if youve got something else for the bass. Been thinking about selling it but I want to try it with the sub37s warmth and low end first, see if they gel. Thats another one that can sound a bit crap but when nice its good

Frankly I think you know your synths better than me! Really I'm just passable at making cheap garbage sound palatable, and have a decent ear. Also I'm watching that Jexus video now and I don't remember getting this much lushness out of the MicroQ - granted he's a synth god but I wonder if they're really the same engine under the hood.

ive read some people saying the micro isnt as good, but others saying its the same.

Its a bit of a complex synth really. Im not very good with it, need some practice. now ive gone the modular route I understand more of the functions this time around. When I first bought it, it went way over my head & I couldnt get anything I wanted out of it at all.

Also, the soundtower editor I need, that will help immensely

Guest Chesney

NICE LALA!

Looking at your setup, A sub37 would work very well sonically for you. Most vintage mono's raw waveforms can sort of sounds the same but not moog, especially the sub37. The raw wave is just thick and beastly and everything sounds good. It's hard to get really smooth sounds from it and can very easily get too aggressive but once you get to know the sweet spots it's a really perfect synth and a sound you won't get anywhere else (apart from moog). It pairs really well with the waldorf sound too. They compliment each other so well, you cover lots of bases with just those two.

I love waldorf and Obsessed over a Q for many years until I got an XT. The Q+ Pheonix edition would be the the most amazing synth if I could find one.

How is your Venice? Do you use it as your interface and DAW controller too? does it chat with the DAW well? I have been thinking about them the past couple of years.

I love the venice!

but two channels have got noisy preamps already (next to each other). Its the behringer one & its got a really good warranty so i literally have years to send it back, and Im always using a loopback from the daw so I just use those channels from firewire and it bypasses the noisy amps.

Also im on windows so I cant have my motu running at the same time, , only one interface allowed. Considering a tablet pc and live sync just to run a daw with that for CV to the modular. - future project.

Also the setup is a bit weird because its a live desk, I dont monitor the master channel, ive had to calibrate the monitor channel to be the same volume as the master so I dont record hot. Not sure how other desks handle this kind of thing, not had a good one before.

Thats the bad stuff out of the way, the good stuff - cheap as chips

love the eqs. really easy to sort out the top end so its comfortable loud, then dial a bit of airy detail back in.

the colour & dynamics sound great, preamps are nice and it just sounds good. I thought it might be too coloured but it isnt

Routing is amazing channels are always sent to daw, and whenever you want to send a daw channel to the desk you just press a button and job done

tons of groups/sends/returns etc.

its heavy but kinda compact

Oh yea did i mention its cheap for what it is

so yeah, even with the problem with the channels I love it..

This, an Analog rytm and SSL clone have seriously made my life a whole lot easier

Guest Chesney

That sounds good. I want a DAW surface and a decent console too so it could work for me.

I'd ideally like to try one in situ but not sure how I could.

buy from somewhere with a 30 day money back guarantee or something, thats what I did and i fell in love straightaway

I havent got any mixer experience really though so it might be a bit of that. But the difference in the quality of my tunes is blates there

Edited by lala

http://blog.thisisnotrocketscience.nl/projects/blok-modular/

I don't really feel restricted by it other than mayyybe an allpass filter module would be nice, and little internal step sequencers? and more external knobs/more resolution on the knobs would be nice

I saw this when you posted it the other day and forgot to reply, it looks like a very open piece of software. Is it Windows only?

The pro-2 has huge bass balls. The eff you talkin' about? If anything I think the highs need to be rolled off on some things with that synth. The sub37 has more low-end character than the pro-2, but I would in no way say the pro-2 has crappy bass.

me no likey it for bass & the highs im actually trying to keep for the digital nature..

I have made it do reeses which surprised me (alpha juno copycat style) but generally its not hit me as a bass synth

maybe I need to use it more

What kind of modular set up is that? Looks insane!