IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

how could the sound be "watermarked?"

Watermarked promo albums have some data of thing encoded in them, I've no idea how it works but basically, they have some kind of unique ID attached to every copy, which means if someone rips it, then the label will be able to tell by finding that ID in the ripped files.

Some people don't care if they get caught, and some clever people know ways around it so it's never really prevented any leaks from happening.

I've heard this watermarking on Myspace, where a robot voice says "This track is copyright of Albert McCockface" every thirty seconds or so. It's stupid.

Also, there is no such artist as Albert McCockface to my knowledge... yet.

This is an amazing piece of work from Rob and Sean. Absolutely brilliant.

wat?

he's talking about quaristice. he comes from the future.

so how did you like the sequel to rushup edge, cet303?

I come from a place which gave me a watermarked promo copy of the album.

cheers.

Holy boner Batman.

I might buy a ticket to Chicago just in case they don't East Coast tha joint. It's only twenty smacks. Road trip homies.

yeah, warp never released watermarked promos...bullshit detectors off the charts

to my knowledge the most obscure artists to do this for all their promos are Tori Amos and Bjork. Usually the only point to doing watermarks is to put the person who leaks the promo in legal trouble. making them sign a contract and keeping track of which unique water mark went to what reviewer/promoter. i personally doubt Warp has the initiative, means or resources to do something like this. watermarking when describing a piece of music could be something as simple as inserting a 1hz or similarly inaudible sine wave for 1 second at the end of every track. It would of course have to be uniquely done for each individual promo, otherwise they would be unable to be tracked.

Edited by Ghostbusters III

Guest Enter a new display name

every 5 seconds, Sean Booth says "DON'T FUCKING PIRATE THIS CD."

I lol'd! XD

Anyways, a watermarked promo is like the few tracks by Burial from Untrue that were available before the album came out. You could hear a few times in each track "This is a hyperdub promo".

Edited by Enter a new display name

Guest cet303

Each promo copy is individually numbered and has specific id's between each track that can be traced back to the owner of the original promo copy if uploaded/copied.

deary me, this isn't new technology kids.

yeah, warp never released watermarked promos...bullshit detectors off the charts

You don't know what your talking about.

Guest cet303

they have some kind of unique ID attached to every copy, which means if someone rips it, then the label will be able to tell by finding that ID in the ripped files.

Exactly.

Guest cet303
my favorite way that someone can say they have a promo copy are when they say nothing about the album besides general praise/disdain.

Well many of the tracks have featured prominently their lives sets for the last 12-18 months, chenc9 and IO included on that.

Its much much less harsh than the harsh bits of 'Untitled', quite a lot of actual riffs, rather than just chattering sounds. A fair bit of acid thrown in, all still quite broken as per usual, but still lots of grooves in there. A few atmospheric/ambient esque beat-less tracks too.

Would a jpeg of the CD help you more?

Guest Archrival

sounds lovely :D more info please..lots of short tracks? they dont go into eachother I hope

Edited by Archrival

Guest cet303

The longest clocks in at over 7 mins, the shortest is 'SonDEremawe' at 1min 21.

I'd say the average track length is 4 mins or so and no they don't go into each other.

Lots of the old skool hip-hop fused gear on this too, the kind of stuff with the really abrasive percussive loops whilst still maintaining those melodic off-key synth lines that seem to keep on building.

Edited by cet303

lol pwn

this is awesome I can't believe I still have to wait two more months OMG how am I going to get it because if I order it it will come after the release date and the crappy record store near me won't have it lol wtf I kind of want to order it from warp but then I will get screwed major on shipping and conversion rates I guess I will just have to order it and accept that I will have mine a few days after the release date my life is so unfair I want it right on the release date omg America sucks with teh musiks.

lol pwn

this is awesome I can't believe I still have to wait two more months OMG how am I going to get it because if I order it it will come after the release date and the crappy record store near me won't have it lol wtf I kind of want to order it from warp but then I will get screwed major on shipping and conversion rates I guess I will just have to order it and accept that I will have mine a few days after the release date my life is so unfair I want it right on the release date omg America sucks with teh musiks.

Rook, you need to take some, slow deep breaths. Then emigrate to the UK.

Guest Enter a new display name
lol pwn

I remember back in 2006 when I pre-ordered Trans Canada Highway on WarpMart I got it one week before the release date. I doubt you would get Quaristice after March 3rd.

Edited by Enter a new display name

my favorite way that someone can say they have a promo copy are when they say nothing about the album besides general praise/disdain.

Well many of the tracks have featured prominently their lives sets for the last 12-18 months, chenc9 and IO included on that.

Its much much less harsh than the harsh bits of 'Untitled', quite a lot of actual riffs, rather than just chattering sounds. A fair bit of acid thrown in, all still quite broken as per usual, but still lots of grooves in there. A few atmospheric/ambient esque beat-less tracks too.

Would a jpeg of the CD help you more?

yes

o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man o man

at the very least, you COULD put up a "transcoded" snippet.

On the topic of transcoding, if I am playing a CD in iTunes and have Wiretap Pro recording its output as Wav, how is that going to sound lossy and shitty?