IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I read Arthur C. Clarke's novelization of 2001 A Space Odyssey and after that rewatched the movie. The book was published after the movie but it was partially written while to movie was being made and it's based on an older version of the script so the events aren't exactly the same. But the funny thing for me was that while the movie is long as hell and explains nothing, the book is relatively short (about 220 pages) and explains fucking everything. It has an omniscient narrator that just hands out all the explanations on a plate. So if you ever wondered about things like what the monoliths were, who made them, what actually happens in the "Star Gate" sequence or what the hell is the ending about then this book basically answers those questions in detail. It's like the polar opposite of Kubrick's artistic vagueness and "let the viewer make their own interpretation" stance.

Also while the movie has a bit of space horror thing going on because of the music and how the monoliths are represented as ominous alien things, the novel is more straight up hard scifi with quite an optimistic message. A decent scifi novel in any case. And it made rewatching the movie a more rewarding experience.

Reading the book and watching the movie got me thinking that, while an iconic part of the movie and culture in general, the subplot with HAL is pretty much completely irrelevant to the main plot. I mean both the book and the movie would have ended pretty much the same way even if all the shit with HAL didn't happen at all? It feels kind of pasted on from some other story. Just my hot take.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Should I read House of Leaves? I like a good mystery and certain psychological horror (e.g. Ligotti) as well as cosmic "a man will meet insanity merely by hearing of it" horror / weird fiction (Lovecraft, Machen, Blackwood and so forth) and oldschool ghost stories (e.g. M.R. James). I'm only occasionally put off by artsy/philosophical pretentiousness (which probably means I'm pretentious). The way people describe HoL makes me wanna check it out, but there's at least a dozen unread and rather long tomes waiting for my attention already. Worth it, watmm? 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:17 PM, luke viia said:

Should I read House of Leaves? I like a good mystery and certain psychological horror (e.g. Ligotti) as well as cosmic "a man will meet insanity merely by hearing of it" horror / weird fiction (Lovecraft, Machen, Blackwood and so forth) and oldschool ghost stories (e.g. M.R. James). I'm only occasionally put off by artsy/philosophical pretentiousness (which probably means I'm pretentious). The way people describe HoL makes me wanna check it out, but there's at least a dozen unread and rather long tomes waiting for my attention already. Worth it, watmm? 

It's a fun read, and not too long... I'd give it a go. I was thinking of re-reading that, actually

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:08 PM, taffer said:

re-reading Proust as a new years resolution

Is Proust a Buddhist?

I can't read at home. Where do you guys find the time and place? Im so distracted at home by screens. And will power doesn't work

Edited by marf

Reading Neal Stephenson's "Termination Shock". It's good, but seems to be lacking something characteristically Stephenson-esque so far (just over halfway through). It's hard to put your finger on it, but it just seems somewhat bland for NS.

Also, my boy loves him some preppers.

I started on knausgaard my struggle book series. And stumbled on this part

""

As your perspective of the world increases not only is the pain it inflicts on you less but also its meaning. Understanding the world requires you to take a certain distance from it. Things that are too small to see with the naked eye, such as molecules and atoms, we magnify. Things that are too large, such as cloud formations, river deltas, constellations, we reduce. At length we bring it within the scope of our senses and we stabilize it with fixer. When it has been fixed we call it knowledge. Throughout our childhood and teenage years, we strive to attain the correct distance to objects and phenomena. We read, we learn, we experience, we make adjustments. Then one day we reach the point where all the necessary distances have been set, all the necessary systems have been put in place. That is when time begins to pick up speed. It no longer meets any obstacles, everything is set, time races through our lives, the days pass by in a flash and before we know that is happening we are fort, fifty, sixty… Meaning requires content, content requires time, time requires resistance. Knowledge is distance, knowledge is stasis and the enemy of meaning. My picture of my father on that evening in 1976 is, in other words, twofold: on the one hand I see him as I saw him at that time, through the eyes of an eight-year-old: unpredictable and frightening; on the other hand, I see him as a peer through whose life time is blowing and unremittingly sweeping large chunks of meaning along with it.

"

Would someone know what he means by this in this context ? i dont get the highlighted part. Cant find any discussion on it on the internet sadly.

34 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

I started on knausgaard my struggle book series. And stumbled on this part

""

As your perspective of the world increases not only is the pain it inflicts on you less but also its meaning. Understanding the world requires you to take a certain distance from it. Things that are too small to see with the naked eye, such as molecules and atoms, we magnify. Things that are too large, such as cloud formations, river deltas, constellations, we reduce. At length we bring it within the scope of our senses and we stabilize it with fixer. When it has been fixed we call it knowledge. Throughout our childhood and teenage years, we strive to attain the correct distance to objects and phenomena. We read, we learn, we experience, we make adjustments. Then one day we reach the point where all the necessary distances have been set, all the necessary systems have been put in place. That is when time begins to pick up speed. It no longer meets any obstacles, everything is set, time races through our lives, the days pass by in a flash and before we know that is happening we are fort, fifty, sixty… Meaning requires content, content requires time, time requires resistance. Knowledge is distance, knowledge is stasis and the enemy of meaning. My picture of my father on that evening in 1976 is, in other words, twofold: on the one hand I see him as I saw him at that time, through the eyes of an eight-year-old: unpredictable and frightening; on the other hand, I see him as a peer through whose life time is blowing and unremittingly sweeping large chunks of meaning along with it.

"

Would someone know what he means by this in this context ? i dont get the highlighted part. Cant find any discussion on it on the internet sadly.

here's my take on it: 

meaning requires content, content requires time: you need to acquire a whole bunch of data (content) through experience and investigation/learning in order to make sense of the world, of how things work - which takes time. 

times requires resistance: i guess he meant time requires mental strength/perseverance/resilience. not sure though. 

knowledge is distance, knowledge is stasis: he did explain what he meant by that earlier in the paragraph so no need to break it down for you. 

and the enemy of meaning: knowledge demystifies the world/the human experience/life - the more you know, the more you realize that life is devoid of meaning. anyway that's how i interpret it in context. 

i've never heard of that author btw. i don't even read books lol. i can't remember the last one i read, it might be cujo by stephen king or some dumb shit like that lol. i have a bunch of music theory books in pdf i'd like to read but for reasons i won't explain here (uninteresting) i just don't. another book i downloaded that i'd really like to read is the mind is flat by nick chater. sorry for mentioning my dumb stories (or lack thereof). 

what do you think of my interpretation? a bit off? completely off? boring? music theory 4 life baby.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

here's my take on it: 

meaning requires content, content requires time: you need to acquire a whole bunch of data (content) through experience and investigation/learning in order to make sense of the world, of how things work - which takes time. 

times requires resistance: i guess he meant time requires mental strength/perseverance/resilience. not sure though. 

knowledge is distance, knowledge is stasis: he did explain what he meant by that earlier in the paragraph so no need to break it down for you. 

and the enemy of meaning: knowledge demystifies the world/the human experience/life - the more you know, the more you realize that life is devoid of meaning. anyway that's how i interpret it in context. 

i've never heard of that author btw. i don't even read books lol. i can't remember the last one i read, it might be cujo by stephen king or some dumb shit like that lol. i have a bunch of music theory books in pdf i'd like to read but for reasons i won't explain here (uninteresting) i just don't. another book i downloaded that i'd really like to read is the mind is flat by nick chater. sorry for mentioning my dumb stories (or lack thereof). 

what do you think of my interpretation? a bit off? completely off? boring? music theory 4 life baby.

Yea i feel like this is a good interpretation, in the context of the book and all.   I struggled most with this part : times requires resistance.  I interpreted resistance wrong which confused the whole thing for me . Thanks for your perspective cleared it up for me.

I just finished reading Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Which is the first book i read in a loonnngg time.  I can really recommend it if u want something short to read to get in to maybe get in to the habbit of reading. Its only around 80 pages. It really bloomed up a new passion for reading which im really enjoying right now. I also hope it will expand my vocabulary and better my English.

The last part of your message reminds me of my goal to get better at drawing ( which i dont really enjoy ) and learn the  drawing fundamentals to move over to painting which is my ultimate goal. And the thought i have to start the work: you dont have to like it you just have to do it. Starting has always been he hardest part about the process for me. Which is pretty common i think.

thanks for the book rec as well i bookmarked it.

12 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

I just finished reading Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich. Which is the first book i read in a loonnngg time.  I can really recommend it if u want something short to read to get in to maybe get in to the habbit of reading. Its only around 80 pages. It really bloomed up a new passion for reading which im really enjoying right now. 

i read part of war and peace a few years ago and i quite enjoyed it. yeah short books seem appropriate to get back into reading. thanks for the recommandation. 

12 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

The last part of your message reminds me of my goal to get better at drawing ( which i dont really enjoy ) and learn the  drawing fundamentals to move over to painting which is my ultimate goal. 

nice! i've been watching oil painting tutorials quite a bit lately for some reason. i also like watching landscape photography tutorials, even though i have zero interest in learning photography. it's very similar to figurative painting anyway. 

my brother is a painter but his technique is very similar to drawing, he uses oil sticks on wood panels. he makes the sticks himself, it's way less expensive than buying them, plus you get to choose their specific colors. not that you give a shit but he discovered oil sticks through richard serra's minimalistic drawings. also, one of his best friends started using them after he saw my bro using them, turns out he became an influential artist and his oil stick paintings made him crazy rich lol.

what type of drawing or painting would you like to learn? i'm interested. i used to be very interested in art even though that's all behind me. any artists you like in particular?

On 5/19/2022 at 12:59 PM, brian trageskin said:

i read part of war and peace a few years ago and i quite enjoyed it. yeah short books seem appropriate to get back into reading. thanks for the recommandation. 

nice! i've been watching oil painting tutorials quite a bit lately for some reason. i also like watching landscape photography tutorials, even though i have zero interest in learning photography. it's very similar to figurative painting anyway. 

my brother is a painter but his technique is very similar to drawing, he uses oil sticks on wood panels. he makes the sticks himself, it's way less expensive than buying them, plus you get to choose their specific colors. not that you give a shit but he discovered oil sticks through richard serra's minimalistic drawings. also, one of his best friends started using them after he saw my bro using them, turns out he became an influential artist and his oil stick paintings made him crazy rich lol.

what type of drawing or painting would you like to learn? i'm interested. i used to be very interested in art even though that's all behind me. any artists you like in particular?

Im definitely trying to work towards oil paint aswell. I never heard of oil sticks before might have to check it out down the road since oil paint can get pretty expensive. The stuff im interested in is paintings with bold colors like u would see in fauvism movement or expressionism / post - impressionism ( to my knowledge ),Or more abstract/ surrealism stuff.  Artist i really like are  : André Derain , Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and van gogh ofcourse. But i find Hermann David Salomon Corrodi more realistic depictions of landscape really beautiful as well. But im still at the beginning im just at learning perspective which is like the first thing you do, So its going to take a while.

Do you have any favorite artist / paintings ?

In what way was your brother's friend influential ?  You mind sharing any of his works.

3 hours ago, Wunderbar said:

Im definitely trying to work towards oil paint aswell. I never heard of oil sticks before might have to check it out down the road since oil paint can get pretty expensive.

well, oil sticks are pretty expensive too unfortunately. depends on how agressive you are with them though. think of a butter stick. it can last more or less time depending on how much you spread it on the surface and it gets more malleable depending on the temperature in the room. 

Im definitely trying to work towards oil paint aswell. I never heard of oil sticks before might have to check it out down the road since oil paint can get pretty expensive. The stuff im interested in is paintings with bold colors like u would see in fauvism movement or expressionism / post - impressionism ( to my knowledge ),Or more abstract/ surrealism stuff.  Artist i really like are  : André Derain , Ernst Ludwig Kirchner and van gogh ofcourse. But i find Hermann David Salomon Corrodi more realistic depictions of landscape really beautiful as well.

never heard of corrodi. quite beautiful indeed. 

But im still at the beginning im just at learning perspective which is like the first thing you do, So its going to take a while.

learning perspective sounds fun. cool. 

Do you have any favorite artist / paintings ?

my fav artist is merlin carpenter. are you asking me my fav painters or my fav paintings? 

In what way was your brother's friend influential ?  You mind sharing any of his works.

he's influential in that he's not a nobody on the art market and works with top galleries. he's no jeff koons but i guess he's well-known among the new generation of painters. i won't say his name though, i don't want him getting doxxed (better safe than sorry)(not by you btw, i trust you). 

• Like 1

now reading: brian's inability to stay on topic (jk)

IMG_20220522_190123151.thumb.jpg.cc5c66c414282856b24d66c80bc21f5f.jpg

this is the most idm book I've read in a long time, I love it. Bought it partly bc I wanted to read Rucker's novel White Light but figured it'd be easier to grasp after checking this out, and man oh man is it a fun ride. If you like Paul Davies or Martin Gardner, or just enjoy dwelling on questions about whether various types of physical/temporal/mental infinities might exist and what that may mean, this gets a high rating from me. Bonus points for not taking a dogmatically materialist stance, and for not childishly attacking thinkers like Augustine, Aquinas, St Gregory, showing respect for the Vedas & Upanishads, etc etc (as well as throwing a little shade at Aristotle, that's always fun. He's fair about it). It gets a little hairy in places -- there's a deep dive into transfinite cardinals toward the end that is gonna require at least a full pot of coffee to comprehend, but I'm into it

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Helter Skelter, the story of the Manson Murders written by the trial's main prosecutor, Vincent Bugliosi, who seemed like one hell of a top bloke. Great read and insight into a fascinating and mad time. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to read Umberto Eco's Foucault Pendulum. I've had it since 2012 maybe and it felt incredibly heavy (bot in a symbolic and literal way) to read. Now I'm a bit more intelligent so I'm giving it another try, tho still many references are out of my understanding.

Edited by logakght

• 2 weeks later...

Permutation City asks whether there is a difference between a computer simulation of a person and a "real" person. It focuses on a model of consciousness and reality, the Dust Theory, similar to the Ultimate Ensemble Mathematical Universe hypothesis proposed by Max Tegmark. It uses the assumption that human consciousness is Turing-computable: that consciousness can be produced by a computer program. The book deals with consequences of human consciousness being amenable to mathematical manipulation, as well as some consequences of simulated realities. In this way, Egan attempts to deconstruct notions of self, memory, and mortality, and of physical reality.

The Autoverse is an artificial life simulator based on a cellular automaton complex enough to represent the substratum of an artificial chemistry. It is deterministic, internally consistent and vaguely resembles real chemistry. Tiny environments, simulated in the Autoverse and filled with populations of a simple, designed lifeform, Autobacterium lamberti, are maintained by a community of enthusiasts obsessed with getting A. lamberti to evolve, something the Autoverse chemistry seems to make extremely difficult.

Related explorations go on in virtual realities (VR), which make extensive use of patchwork heuristics to crudely simulate immersive and convincing physical environments, albeit at a maximal speed of seventeen times slower than "real" time, limited by the optical crystal computing technology used at the time of the story. Larger VR environments, covering a greater internal volume in greater detail, are cost-prohibitive even though VR worlds are computed selectively for inhabitants, reducing redundancy and extraneous objects and places to the minimal details required to provide a convincing experience to those inhabitants; for example, a mirror not being looked at would be reduced to a reflection value, with details being "filled in" as necessary if its owner were to turn their model-of-a-head towards it.

Within the story, "Copies" – digital renderings of human brains with complete subjective consciousness, the technical descendants of ever more comprehensive medical simulations – live within VR environments after a process of "scanning". Copies are the only objects within VR environments that are simulated in full detail, everything else being produced with varying levels of generalisation, lossy compression, and hashing at all times.

Copies form the conceptual spine of the story, and much of the plot deals directly with the "lived" experience of Copies, most of whom are copies of wealthy billionaires suffering terminal illnesses or fatal accidents, who spend their existences in VR worlds of their creating, usually maintained by trust funds, which independently own and operate large computing resources for their sakes, separated physically and economically from most of the rest of the world's computing power, which is privatized as a fungible commodity. Although the wealthiest copies face no financial difficulties, they can still be threatened because copies lack political and legal rights (they are considered software), especially where the global economy is in recession. Hence they cannot afford to retreat into solipsism and ignore what is happening in the real world.

At the opposite end from the wealthy Copies are those who can only afford to live in the virtual equivalent of "Slums", being bounced around the globe to the cheapest physical computing available at any given time in order to save money, while running at much slower speeds compared to the wealthy Copies. Their slowdown rate depends on how much computer power their meager assets can afford, as computer power is traded on a global exchange and goes to the highest bidder at any point in time. When they cannot afford to be "run" at all, they can be frozen as a "snapshot" until computer power is relatively affordable again. A Copy whose financial assets can only generate sufficient interest to run at a very slow rate is stuck in a rut because he/she/it becomes unemployable and is unable to generate new income, which may lead to a downward spiral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permutation_City

• 3 weeks later...