IGNORED

Phoenecia

kcinsu

6 hours ago, Dave3 said:

Personally, I don't expect much in the way of new Phoenecia, but Rom is always working on something. ALWAYS. I like to bug him about doing a Schematic anthology of unreleased tracks or reissuing some of the earlier stuff, like a serious remaster of the untitled Richard Devine EP (NEEDS BASS!). If he wanted to drop a comp of Phoenecia loosies I could see it happening, but only if he and Josh were in full agreement.

Well - that Jeswa track from Josh on the LKMTC comp was really, really nice. And I'm guessing Takeshi Nakamura from the same comp is Rom?

Based on these and your comments about him always working on something - I'm wondering what's the holdup?  At the very least, I'd be more than willing to shell out $$$ for more of their solo stuff. 

And an anthology of unreleased and rare stuff....yes, pls!

Edited by Extralife

20 hours ago, Cyteen said:

Any Phoenecia fans here familiar with some of the schematic comps at the turn of the millenium? Specifically Lily of the Valley is so good, and I love the tracks Phoenecia submitted. Bit different from the LPs for sure. 

oooh yes ! I forgot about this one. it's a great comp. we listened to it a lot with friends back in the days. now you got me re-discovering it ?

this one has some good tunes too : (iirc it was released a few years later)

edit : just realising, by browsing schematic's bandcamp, how huge their back catalogue is...

• Like 1

Yeah for sure, I've been browsing through schematics off and on the past month. 

I haven't listened to that comp as of yet, but will soon. I really like general purpose audio one as well. Fortunately the full version is up on their bandcamp, a lot of phoenecia tracks on that:

• Like 1

Demissions 1st listen- being familiar with brownout greatly helped here, as I was expecting the unexpected, which i got. But it definitely not the same album. Overall I liked it but it's gonna take a bunch of listens to digest, no surprise. 

A few years ago I prob would have hated these guys.

I love that tDR design. Ischemic Folks makes me think of their cover for the East Flatbush Project remix comp, which had a lot of Schematic crew on it too. Shawn Wolfe's art for them is also always great.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently discovered a couple of items and thought I'd share them with the discriminating listeners who might read this thread.

First, a recording of a radio broadcast of an excellent interview involving Romulo Del Castillo, Gabe Koch (of M3rck Records), and others. Musical selections are also presented.

Second, a DJ set from Romulo del Castillo:

Edited by joseph
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

the track "can" is such a sick track. i must've listened to this tune several hundred times over the years since it came out. ever since the first listen i always loved the variety of textures on this one. it has all these great mechanical sounds, weirdo insect type shit, whatever the fuck the "bass" line is, and the gorgeous crystal pad. the fuck were these guys smoking?

top shelf shit

• Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 11:01 PM, joseph said:

Second, a DJ set from Romulo del Castillo:

Wow what an incredible mix! I like the old school Miami Bass sound a lot, but have only ventured into the more popular stuff like 2 Live Crew after hearing "Throw the D" on one of those long mixes that Autechre did. The scratching and 808s sound so good throughout this set. I tried to make a track list for it but gave up, some of the songs are tough to find. That little bit that starts at 41:45 is great, still on the prowl for that one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2013 at 3:22 AM, cloud capture said:

you can also look up Jeswa(josh), Takeshi Muto(rom), and Metic(Paul, original creator of schematic) for similar stuff to Tone Capsule/Randa Roomet

metic was rom and the other guy didn't contribute much

didn't contribute much besides the name schematic and the original logo that is still used.  I remember sitting in Paul's studio and him showing me the logo after he finished it.  And at the time he made music under the alias metic.  It was a collab w/ him and rom.  He got a job in NY and left everything to them, but it would never have existed w/o Paul.  He was kind of an inspirational guy to me.  Played me Port Rhombus for the first time and opened my eyes to different music.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...