IGNORED

bibio - hand cranked

Guest 10010

I'd say it's on par with Fi, both have some weak and brilliant tracks.

Quantock, Above The Rooftop, and Ffwrnais are the highlights for me

A nice summer day album

Edited by six

this album totally blows fi out of the water, folk-guitar lushness

Absolutely.

Stephen Wilkonson seems to have taken all of those excellent BoC interludes and stretched them out into an absolutely sublime collection of music.

Favourites thus far are Cherry Go Round, and Maroon Lagoon.

this album totally blows fi out of the water, folk-guitar lushness
That's it. This is essential to my record collection.

:: looks at bank account statement, frowns...pulls out credit card, feels fucking American ::

Guest 1001 0
Absolutely.

Stephen Wilkonson seems to have taken all of those excellent BoC interludes and stretched them out into an absolutely sublime collection of music.

Favourites thus far are Cherry Go Round, and Maroon Lagoon.

this post belongs to boc (sub)forum

:excl:

highlights for me are snowbow, above the rooftops and the utterly beautiful maroon lagoon infact those three are all together as 11, 12 and 13

fucking lush sequence of tracks

highlights for me are snowbow, above the rooftops and the utterly beautiful maroon lagoon infact those three are all together as 11, 12 and 13

fucking lush sequence of tracks

yea.

:smiling:

• 8 months later...

i dunno why i left it so long before picking this up, considering how much i like fi.

anyway, on my third listen, and i fucking love it to bits. the songs are more... i suppose complete is the best way of putting it. i love the lofi sketchiness of fi, but this works really well too. the man knows how to make really good, tasteful use of backwards guitar loops and drones. faaar too easy to over-egg backwards guitary things

i know it's all been discounted and shit, but cherry-go-round is structured exactly like a boc track. :boc:

this is also hand cranked, and i'll never get sick of linking to that thing either.

Edited by kaini

there's nothing wrong with just (or mainly) texture. millions of fennesz fans can't be wrong!

earlier when listening on headphones, the phrase acoustic mbv popped into my head... i initially dismissed it, but there's one track on MBV's glider ep that's pretty much bibio.

anyway i don't want to overcomplicate stuff; this is just a really good album that i enjoy.

bought it when it came out and listened some of it... but somehow i have'nt heard in a while. remember that i liked it but nowadays, with the weather, it doesn't seem to fit really well.

• 13 years later...

Heeeere comes a 13 year bump!

Warp will be reissuing Hand Cranked LP for the first time since its initial release.

Its my personal favorite bibio album.  A hard to define collection of guitar tracks that verge from straight faced folk to rather hypnotic psychadelic loops.  I vaguely remember lurking watmm at the time of this thread and its funny to read it back again..  After his debut album Fi, bibio was often talked about (at least here on watmm) in relation to BoC, but with Hand Cranked, imo he stepped firmly in new territory of his own.  Its a very unique album and I highly recommend giving it a listen!

https://bibio.co/

handcranked-artwork.jpg

• Like 1